Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help!! Lost keys in vent on dash!!

Like Tree56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jan 2019, 10:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Help!! Lost keys in vent on dash!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
This is what the OP posted earlier, not sure if it's the same locksmith that she got the keys from, though:

The locksmith should have checked what the car required before he provided any services.

Since the locksmith made the error, the locksmith should provide what the customer requested, which would be (2) working keys for what the customer has already paid.

To the OP, just remain calm and patient with the locksmith until he provides (2) working keys. If you piss him off now, he may refuse to do anything for you and leave you high and dry. If he demands more $ for the correct keys, I would go ahead and pay him now via a credit card, then file a chargeback with the credit card company for the inferior service. You can also get the Better Business Bureau involved if necessary.

The guy the locksmith had contact us wants another $200...to come here and make the correct key! I'm beyond pissed off.. so I'm stuck with 2 keys I can't use and out $130..I don't have a credit card, so I'm screwed.
Old 19 Jan 2019, 11:52 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceana View Post
I'm stuck with 2 keys I can't use.... I'm screwed.
Incomplete initial inquiries often end in a unpleasant situation. Did you tell the locksmith what you had? Have you asked for a refund? Partial refund? Worst they can say is no. $200 jives with the what I found out.

Last edited by circus; 19 Jan 2019 at 12:11 pm. Reason: a
Old 19 Jan 2019, 03:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I just don't understand why in the heck NOBODY can seem to locate and retrieve your keys.
I have an HVAC box sitting here there isn't much to it at all. I assume somebody closed one of the two doors by changing the temperature setting or defrost, people, feet setting. It's probably like a combination lock looking through there.
chuzz likes this.
Old 19 Jan 2019, 04:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by circus View Post
Incomplete initial inquiries often end in a unpleasant situation. Did you tell the locksmith what you had? Have you asked for a refund? Partial refund? Worst they can say is no. $200 jives with the what I found out.
I gave him the year, make, model and VIN that he asked for.. I texted him today asking if I was going to get a refund since I have non working keys...no reply.. If he gave the money to the guy who will make the right key, fine, and I'll pay the difference. ..
Old 22 Jan 2019, 02:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm not trolling by posting this, so bear with me - but when you next buy a chip key car and it has only one key, the VERY FIRST thing you should do it what Chuzz posted earlier:

Go and get two dumb keys cut that work the locks, then cable tie the chip key to the lock under the steering wheel cover.

That, or throw money at a replacement chip key from the manufacturer if you want all the remote locking and rest of the goodies.

------

That said, I still do not understand why the original key isn't the cheaper and easier option.

By now a blind DIY novice with two left hands could have had the entire airduct system out and put it back - for zero dollars.

No way would I be paying some chancer 130 bucks for a pair of eBay keys before I'd gone that route.
chuzz likes this.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 11:21 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I wouldn't make a blanket statement like this. The best thing to do is get at least TWO spare keys along with the one you normally drive with. Many cars let the owner self program additional keys to the car (sometimes up to 5 keys).

More importantly, many modern cars do goofy things when you leave a chipped key close enough to the module. Some won't let you lock the car (so you don't accidentally lock yourself out). Some will lock the car, then automatically unlock the car (same reason, but you've now left your car and it's now left wide open).

We had a Honda Odyssey that did the craziest thing. If you closed the door with the engine running, all the doors automatically LOCKED. My wife and son were trading off driving duties one time when that happened and they were locked out with the engine running. Fortunately it was only about 10 minutes from our house and I was able to go home, get the spare key, drive out there and unlock the door. Had this happened on a road trip, it would have resulted in a broken window or some other drastic.

Your spare "dumb" key is still useful. Store it in a wallet or attach it under a wheel well out of sight and safe. That way if you lock yourself out, you can unlock the car. If someone else finds the key, they can unlock the car but without the RFID in the key, the car will not run.

Back in the old days, I had a key that was molded inside a plastic card the size of a credit card. It fit nicely in my wallet and would unlock the car if I ever left the keys in the car and locked myself out.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 06:55 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post

Back in the old days, I had a key that was molded inside a plastic card the size of a credit card. It fit nicely in my wallet and would unlock the car if I ever left the keys in the car and locked myself out.
I had one of those, too, for one of the Ford's that I had. The dealer gave it to me when I bought the car new.

But it was pretty cool because you could always have a key with you in your wallet, and it took up no more room than a credit card.

Can't do that with today's car keys with all the buttons or embedded chip.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 07:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
I'm not trolling by posting this, so bear with me - but when you next buy a chip key car and it has only one key, the VERY FIRST thing you should do it what Chuzz posted earlier:

Go and get two dumb keys cut that work the locks, then cable tie the chip key to the lock under the steering wheel cover.

That, or throw money at a replacement chip key from the manufacturer if you want all the remote locking and rest of the goodies.

------

That said, I still do not understand why the original key isn't the cheaper and easier option.

By now a blind DIY novice with two left hands could have had the entire airduct system out and put it back - for zero dollars.

No way would I be paying some chancer 130 bucks for a pair of eBay keys before I'd gone that route.
I'm never letting this happen again, it's too much hassle. One person who came out with a magnet in the beginning was a mechanic...he said either buy new keys or rip the entire dashboard out! So that's how I ended up with the scammer locksmith. This car is basic, no remote alarm, etc.. I can't find anyone else that will come out and try to locate the original keys..and I can't afford to tow it to the dealer..I'm so over this situation.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 07:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
I wouldn't make a blanket statement like this. The best thing to do is get at least TWO spare keys along with the one you normally drive with. Many cars let the owner self program additional keys to the car (sometimes up to 5 keys).

More importantly, many modern cars do goofy things when you leave a chipped key close enough to the module. Some won't let you lock the car (so you don't accidentally lock yourself out). Some will lock the car, then automatically unlock the car (same reason, but you've now left your car and it's now left wide open).

We had a Honda Odyssey that did the craziest thing. If you closed the door with the engine running, all the doors automatically LOCKED. My wife and son were trading off driving duties one time when that happened and they were locked out with the engine running. Fortunately it was only about 10 minutes from our house and I was able to go home, get the spare key, drive out there and unlock the door. Had this happened on a road trip, it would have resulted in a broken window or some other drastic.

Your spare "dumb" key is still useful. Store it in a wallet or attach it under a wheel well out of sight and safe. That way if you lock yourself out, you can unlock the car. If someone else finds the key, they can unlock the car but without the RFID in the key, the car will not run.

My dad had one of those spares..We never lock the car, so I guess upside to this nightmare.
Old 23 Jan 2019, 09:59 am
Cool Cruiser

Just saying...

If I (the husband) had done this to my wife's car, I would not be allowed back into the house until...
1. I had found the keys and fixed the hole they fell into
2. I had paid for new keys and fixed the hole the original keys fell into

Just saying...

Oh, and I can't wait for the "strange jingling sound coming from inside cabin" thread!

2005 N/A 5 speed manual - Booger bushings, K&N Filter, MSD spark plug wires, APC Taillights, Accra-Form Running Boards, Hubcap Mike's Spoke Hubcaps, Retrosound radio (usb1-2/aux1-2/bluetooth), Chrysler 1949 Hood Ornament, and a Flameball white pearl shift knob (which makes it go faster).