PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Cruiser Towing capacity?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Feb 2019, 03:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Cruiser Towing capacity?

I've been looking into buying an Airstream Sport Trailer and need to find the towing capacity of the PT Cruiser.

I tried the original PT Cruiser website through the Internet Archive, but there was no information about it's towing capacity.

An online search comes up with anything from 1000 up to 2500 lbs.

If I'm reading their brochure right, the base weight of the 22' trailer is about 500lbs, and they say to add another 1000lbs to that for personal items, water, gas etc.

I need to get a tow hitch installed as well.

So does anyone know what the tow capacity of a 2004 Ltd Platinum Ed PT Cruiser Turbo is?
Old 13 Feb 2019, 03:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruiser Towing capacity?

Everything I have seen shows 1000 pounds. Mine is a 2001 and have pulled a 5x8 trailer that weighs about 450 pounds with 21 bales of hay. Total weight is about 1500 pounds. No problems pulling it. I will say that it is mostly flat terrain and I am pulling about 20 miles total.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 13 Feb 2019, 04:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to have to put off buying the trailer though, my Cruiser was overheating today on the way to school, not I have to figure that out!
Old 13 Feb 2019, 09:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Ouch, good luck!

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 14 Feb 2019, 05:23 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalhorizon View Post
I've been looking into buying an Airstream Sport Trailer and need to find the towing capacity of the PT Cruiser.

I tried the original PT Cruiser website through the Internet Archive, but there was no information about it's towing capacity.

An online search comes up with anything from 1000 up to 2500 lbs.

If I'm reading their brochure right, the base weight of the 22' trailer is about 500lbs, and they say to add another 1000lbs to that for personal items, water, gas etc.

I need to get a tow hitch installed as well.

So does anyone know what the tow capacity of a 2004 Ltd Platinum Ed PT Cruiser Turbo is?
The towing capacity for a 2006 PT with any engine and any trans is 1000 lbs.
The 22' Airstream Sport weighs over 4000 lbs slightly loaded. No chance.

A good tow vehicle for that camper would be a dodge half ton pickup with 4WD. V-6 for flat terrain. Small V-8 for hills.
bob2006 likes this.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 05:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
Everything I have seen shows 1000 pounds. Mine is a 2001 and have pulled a 5x8 trailer that weighs about 450 pounds with 21 bales of hay. Total weight is about 1500 pounds. No problems pulling it. I will say that it is mostly flat terrain and I am pulling about 20 miles total.

Remove the back seats. Cut a chunk of cardboard and use it as a floor mat. Then slide in 4 more bales. It would make a nice Valentines Day gift for the livestock.
VsandFords likes this.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 05:33 am
Regular Cruiser

I don't get the limit. The PT is capable of towing much bigger loads. My previous BMW had a towing capacity of over 4000lbs despive less hp (170<220), almost the same weight and brakes...

I hauled over 2500lbs in paving stones without any problems with the PT. But of course, that exceeded the towing limit of the PT and the max. weight of the trailer (1600lbs)
Old 14 Feb 2019, 06:48 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
Remove the back seats. Cut a chunk of cardboard and use it as a floor mat. Then slide in 4 more bales. It would make a nice Valentines Day gift for the livestock.
Back seats have been out since I got it. I keep a tarp in the back for those times.
pt06 likes this.

Old 14 Feb 2019, 08:11 am
Veteran Cruiser

You overload the PT by hauling something that heavy for very long and odds are good that you'll burn the transmission up. Even if you add a separate trans cooler to it. I wouldn't risk it, if it were me.
bob2006 likes this.

Ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated, but there IS no cure for stupid.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 08:26 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj318 View Post
I don't get the limit. The PT is capable of towing much bigger loads. My previous BMW had a towing capacity of over 4000lbs despive less hp (170<220), almost the same weight and brakes...

I hauled over 2500lbs in paving stones without any problems with the PT. But of course, that exceeded the towing limit of the PT and the max. weight of the trailer (1600lbs)
My guess is that the BMW brakes are better/bigger than PT brakes. Mine are more than adequate. Whenever the trailer weighs more than the tow vehicle, it concerns me. Towing on back roads at 30 mph is much different than towing on a 65 mph highway going up a long hill. Exhaust manifolds can crack, gaskets blow out, cooling systems must be in top shape, etc.

When the old half-ton slant six, 3 speed standard truck was overloaded with pea stone, it pulled well in second gear up the hill, but when I tried to pull into the driveway [slight downhill] I missed it by 200 feet. It wouldn't stop with over a ton in it. But it didn't look like much when they poured it in.

If you get caught overloaded, the fine used to be $500 plus 50 cents a pound. Don't know what it is now.

There is a difference between what a vehicle is capable of and what a manufacturer is willing to guarantee for liability reasons.