PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Are There Any Cruise Control Adjustments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Apr 2019, 12:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Are There Any Cruise Control Adjustments

Hello all,

I have a 2003 Limited. I use cruise control much more than the average driver. While mine does work, I feel it could be a little more aggressive when going up an incline or hill on the highway.

What I see and feel happening is when I'm approaching a hill or even a slight incline, I can see the speed dropping but yet the cruise is waiting to give more throttle. One the speed drops even lower, the cruise control finally realizes it needs to accelerate but by that time it's too late to gradually do it and it has to accelerate so much that it makes the transmission downshift.

I may be wishing for something that doesn't exist but I am almost positive that if there were an adjustment for this, the cruise would not need to accelerate so hard and the trans downshift unless the car was climbing a steep incline.

Thank You,

Scott D
Old 10 Apr 2019, 02:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Are There Any Cruise Control Adjustments

I don't believe there are many mechanical adjustment you can make. The system just pulls on or releases the throttle until the desired speed is reached (plus or minus in a range). No mechanical calibration is needed. It's done with programming. That kind of simple but very effective system is call "elegant" in engineering terms. But it can be crude as well.

To make sure I'm right about this, you can check the service manual. You can download a free copy from my Google Drive at this link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 10 Apr 2019 at 02:41 pm.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 04:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have never adjusted mine, but the last time that I pulled the upper intake, when I put the throttle cables back on, the one for the cruise control ended up with some slack in it. I do not know if there is any adjustment, if the cable is just slack or something else is messed up. I don't use cruise much, so I haven't worried about it. Check the cable is taut, and maybe lube it.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 02:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Probass; my 2006 non turbo does the same thing. At 65 mph [2500 rpm] and starting to climb a hill, the car drops down to ~62 mph, the throttle increases and the torque converter unlocks, revs go to ~2900, stays there until the top of the hill, throttle backs off, torque converter locks up again. If the electronics were more sensitive [i.e. more throttle at 64 mph], it would act smoother and not have the unlocking occur on medium hills.

At the bottom of certain hills, I give the accelerator pedal a little 'help' to prevent the unlocking.

The 6 speed in the 200's with the 2.4 is worse. It doesn't only unlock the converter, it downshifts into 5th gear for a second. Annoying!