Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2007 PT Cruiser - died while driving

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Apr 2019, 03:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2007 PT Cruiser - died while driving

I am getting code po340 followed by po1634 after my pt cruiser died going down the road last night. It has 82,000 miles on it.

My question is does the cam shaft sensor position sensor have anything to do with low compression?

My buddy seems to think it has low compression but there is plenty of oil in the motor. Maybe a quart low.

The vehicle does not want to crank at all.

At first I thought it was the alternator or battery, but they are both good.

Thanks.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 06:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 PT Cruiser - died while driving

On my 2008 Pt Cruiser when my camshaft sensor went bad it would not crank at all. I was away from the house so I disconnect the battery and connected it again. It started and I got it home.

Check the wiring going to both camshaft and crankshaft sensors and if they look good I would suggest replacing the camshaft sensor. As long as you are taking the camshaft sensor off make sure the camshaft is turning when you crank it after taking the sensor off.

On both of my Pt Cruisers the Camshaft sensors failed between 70,000 and 80,000 miles.

Try disconnecting the camshaft sensor and see if it will crank. My Camshaft sensor was shorting out the 5 volt line going to the crankshaaft sensor.

Make sure you get OEM sensors. You can get them cheaper on the internet.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 11 Apr 2019 at 07:05 pm.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 10:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Changed out sensor and deleted all codes. Codes not coming back on reader but car will still not start. It tries to but battery will only charge to 69% on my battery charger. Won’t go any farther.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 02:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultzee13 View Post
Changed out sensor and deleted all codes. Codes not coming back on reader but car will still not start. It tries to but battery will only charge to 69% on my battery charger. Won’t go any farther.
I would suggest taking the battery in for a free load test. If bad replace it with a good battery. Batteries don't like to be drained completely with leaving headlights on and cranking for an hour.

Post what you find out. Thanks