• 2 Post By ptprice
  • 2 Post By dougs
  • 2 Post By dougs
  • 1 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Apr 2019, 06:45 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Securing SOOO BIG's new lower chrome grille cover

The old lower grill was originally held in place insufficiently with 4 plastic tabs (easily broken on installation or removal) and double faced tape on bottom. My oversight, it fell off, it's now road kill on an Ormond Beach street!
I thought to use hold down screws as I did on the upper grille. Asking for input on;
"best point to modify the new lower chrome grill cover with holes to accommodate two attachment screws?"
The hold down screws and u-nuts installed in the upper grill over a year ago held up nicely as expected. (first photo) I hogged out a set of holes in the upper chrome grill and bumper cover for the screws and capture clips.
I have some of the same 7 mm capture clips and screws used to secure the upper grill. (second photo)
As the hold down screws will be in much closer quarters (third photo) on the lower grille cover, asking for input on;
"best point to modify the new lower chrome grille cover (fourth photo) with holes to accommodate two attachment screws?"

Thanks, Happy PTin', ptprice

Successful upper grille attachment screw installation.
grillescrew1.jpg

7 mm capture clips and screws.
astash.jpg

Lower grille opening.
lowergrilleopening1.jpg

New lower chrome grille cover. Originally held in place insufficiently with plastic clips on top and double faced tape on the bottom.
lowergrillecover2.jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 22 Apr 2019 at 02:11 pm.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 12:22 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Securing SOOO BIG's new lower chrome grille cover

I got as far as finding some shorter capture clips, stainless steel 7mm screws, to prevent rust, and small nylon washers to protect the chrome from the screw head. I thought the shorter capture clips might more readily accommodate the slight front to rear curvature of the grille cross bars.
ssc.jpg
Here's some photos of the back of the lower chrome grille cover showing the small, delicate, inadequate plastic "clips" and double face intended to hold it in place. This didn't work before. SOOO BIG's last lower chrome grille cover fell off!
topretainer.jpg

topretainer1.jpg

bottomretainertape1.jpg

screwholeL.jpg
I did a trial mock up with some masking tape, marking screw holes in the upper most cross bar measuring 3/4" in from the second upright bar and either 1/2" or 5/16" back from the rear edge to accommodate either the longer or shorter capture clip. Still in the desk top planning stage before I hog out a few permanent holes in the bumper cover and the lower chrome grille replacement.
Any suggestions gratefully accepted relative to the pursuit of securely installing a new set of lower dentures on SOOO BIG!

Just for laughs, here's the Chinese instructions included with the chrome grill set.

chineseinstallinfo.jpg
Happy PTin', ptprice

Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 03:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

How about clear silicone ADVESIVE sealant? Nice thick bead on the inner curve on each horizontal bar and attach. Hold in place with some tape wrapped around the chrome spokes to the body until cured over night.? Used this stuff before with amazing results. I found the supplied double sticky tape dried and not very sticky...

2002 PT 4 door Inferno Red
2008 PT Convertible Bright Silver
Old 20 Apr 2019, 03:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

This should do the trick.

Scotch Outdoor Mounting Tape

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 20 Apr 2019, 06:24 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I am gonna use screws to hold the lower grille in place. Just asking advice on the best places to put the screws and how many? Two hold down screws and U-nuts have work well for over a year to secure the upper grill.
There's already an installed strip of Scotch double faced mounting tape running across the bottom of the grille cover. Maybe two screws and U-nuts on the upper most cross bar and the Scotch Mounting Tape would be enough to permanently secure the grille?
Conversely, that tape and the small built in plastic tabs, as initially intended,( 2nd,3rd,& 4th photos in previous post) weren't enough to secure the old grill. It fell off! That's why I'm going with screws and U-nuts on this new one. To better secure the lower grille cover.
I'll futz around the lower grille opening till I figure where to position holes for screws and double nuts to securely hold the grille cover in place.
I've already tentatively marked reference points on masking tape for screw holes on the underside of the top cross bar of the lower grille cover. (5th photo on my previous post)
Relative to the intent of the thread, the question is asked, "Does it appear two hold down screws and U-nuts on the upper most cross bar, with the pre-installed Scotch Mounting Tape on the bottom, are enough to secure the lower chrome grille cover? Or, should I put two more, similarly positioned screws and U-nuts on the third cross bar?"
Happy PTin', ptprice

Last edited by ptprice; 21 Apr 2019 at 03:47 am. Reason: clarification
Old 21 Apr 2019, 06:55 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

As a Sunday afternoon project I put a couple of holes in the grill cover. For me, it was a chore. I found there's no over head access for a drill.
Once I established reference lines for the holes I used a spread opened u-nut slipped over the reference lines, using the hole in the u-nut to trace the proper positioning for the screw holes.
Using a series of progressively large screws I drilled out holes through the lower chrome grille cover's second cross bar for two stainless steel screws. They'll secure the lower grill with u-nuts on the considing grille opening's cross bar.
Another day, when health allows, I get the chrome grille cover in place with the provided tabs and Scotch mounting tape, I'll slide a u-nut from underneath and behind onto the edge of the bumper cover. The existing holes will be a positioning reference.
As before, probably using a series of screws as drills, through the established holes, I'll slowly hog a hole in the bumper cover till the stainless steel screw catches in the u-nut. This'll allow for a permanent set of stainless steel screws to keep this lower grill from ever fallin off. Anyone got a better idea?
The reason for all this project planning is my on going physical disability;
A restriction on projects like this is a progressive condition that interferes with blood flow to my brain. (Orthostatic hypotension) One of the things that exacerbates this is leaning over. Leaning over is all this project is about.
I've always had fun working on my cars, and the cars I've restored. Including SOOO BIG when I can. So even if this small project is all I can do now, I'll do it, carefully, 'cause it's still fun.
BOTTOM VIEW OF DRILLED HOLE
lhole1.jpg
TOP VIEW OF DRILLED HOLES
tvh1.jpg
HARDWARE; SPREAD OPEN GUIDE U-NUT (used to establish hole placement w/o scratching chrome),
STAINLESS STEEL SCREWS, PROTECTIVE NYLON WASHERS AND U-NUTS.
hdwr1.jpg

Happy PTin', ptprice

Last edited by ptprice; 22 Apr 2019 at 02:21 pm.
Old 22 Apr 2019, 03:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

One year ago!
Enjoyed a beer with you in Fla!
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.
Old 23 Apr 2019, 08:12 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs View Post
One year ago!
Enjoyed a beer with you in Fla!
have you moved to the right coast yet? Remember the Atlantic Ocean sunrises every morning on this side of America?

sunrise .jpg
Old 23 Apr 2019, 11:22 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
have you moved to the right coast yet? Remember the Atlantic Ocean sunrises every morning on this side of America?

Attachment 30259
Hi again...
Actually, after looking around, we moved to Sugar Land, Texas, a pleasant suburb of Houston! Not too many PTs here..... but lots of giant, full-size pickup trucks!
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.
Old 24 Apr 2019, 07:40 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs View Post
Hi again...
Actually, after looking around, we moved to Sugar Land, Texas, a pleasant suburb of Houston! Not too many PTs here..... but lots of giant, full-size pickup trucks!
I'm sure you'll enjoy an occasional sunrise over Galveston Bay or the Gulf of Mexico

Last edited by ptprice; 24 Apr 2019 at 08:57 pm.