PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Got my car back after timing belt etc...now overheating

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2019, 07:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Got my car back after timing belt etc...now overheating

I just got my car back from getting the timing belt, water pump etc changed. When I was driving home from work today I took off pretty good (gt) and I saw some blue looking smoke coming from the back. It was raining so it was kinda hard to tell if it was water or what. The temp light came on soon after so I pulled off. The reservoir is full. Also, I couldn't get any heat to come out when I turned the heater on. I am going to have it trailered to be repaired but you guys have any ideas?
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 25 Apr 2019, 08:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Got my car back after timing belt etc...now overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
I just got my car back from getting the timing belt, water pump etc changed. When I was driving home from work today I took off pretty good (gt) and I saw some blue looking smoke coming from the back. It was raining so it was kinda hard to tell if it was water or what. The temp light came on soon after so I pulled off. The reservoir is full. Also, I couldn't get any heat to come out when I turned the heater on. I am going to have it trailered to be repaired but you guys have any ideas?
What brand water pump was put in it?
Old 25 Apr 2019, 08:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
What brand water pump was put in it?
Gates
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 25 Apr 2019, 09:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking the thermstat.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 09:40 am
Cool Cruiser

My cousin has the car back now. Hopefully isn't won't be too costly and it didn't mess up anything. He changed the thermostat when I had him change the timing belt etc, but I'm sure he will check that first since it is the easiest and cheapest part to check. Getting pretty discouraged with this car Love driving it when it runs though, lo
Old 26 Apr 2019, 10:03 am
Veteran Cruiser

Possibly a large air pocket in the cooling system. Have him burp it before returning it to you. And if he got that thermostat at the Zone, it's most likely defective. I used to work for the Zone. I bought my thermostats at NAPA.
MJKnight likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 10:13 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Possibly a large air pocket in the cooling system. Have him burp it before returning it to you. And if he got that thermostat at the Zone, it's most likely defective. I used to work for the Zone. I bought my thermostats at NAPA.
Just asked my cousin and he said he "burped" the system after he installed the thermostat and water pump. I got the thermostat from Rock Auto...one of the more "better" ones: GATES 33849S {#546095, 62749} Premium; 195 Superstat

Last edited by shelbyzman; 26 Apr 2019 at 10:24 am.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 10:23 am
Veteran Cruiser

Not necessarily. I had a Neon that did that to me after being driven for over 100 miles. All of a sudden it started getting hot. I had it towed home and checked the coolant and it was low. I would have sworn after replacing the thermostat that I got that sum beech burped right, but I didn't. After that, I made sure the air was out of it before driving it. I eventually traded it off, but after burping it correctly, it never got hot on me again.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 10:38 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Not necessarily. I had a Neon that did that to me after being driven for over 100 miles. All of a sudden it started getting hot. I had it towed home and checked the coolant and it was low. I would have sworn after replacing the thermostat that I got that sum beech burped right, but I didn't. After that, I made sure the air was out of it before driving it. I eventually traded it off, but after burping it correctly, it never got hot on me again.
I'm crossing my fingers it's just a bad thermostat or it just needs to be burped again.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 10:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
Just asked my cousin and he said he "burped" the system after he installed the thermostat and water pump. I got the thermostat from Rock Auto...one of the more "better" ones: GATES 33849S {#546095, 62749} Premium; 195 Superstat
When I change the coolant in my Pt Cruisers I jack up the front end and let it sit overnight with the radiator cap off. Never had air pocket problems yet..