Advertisements
front door hinge

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By RickinPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Apr 2019, 07:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default front door hinge

A while back, while working on the doors, I noticed the upper driver's door hinge had some play. This turned out to be the source of some low pitched clunking and rattles. This was annoying as I have lubricated the hinges with oil every time I change the oil. Well, I guess you'll have this on a car with 141K miles.

Looking for hinges at Rockauto and general Internet search, I noticed something peculiar. The PT Cruiser front door hinges are often listed simply as "Front Upper" and "Front Lower". This is incorrect.

The front door hinges on a PT Cruiser are stamped "LR/UL" and "UR/LL" This translates to "Lower Right or Upper Left" and "Upper Right / Lower Left". In my case I needed the "LR/UL" hinge for the upper driver's side door.

I ended up getting a hinge from a salvage yard for $5. It came off the lower passenger side of a silver cruiser that matched my paint color. I figured the passenger side would have less wear than the driver's side and the hinge is tight, with no play. As a bonus, someone had already removed the fender, so pulling the hinge was a breeze.

Replacing the hinge is doable, but tedious. There's little room to swing a wrench, so it's a lot of little turn, readjust the wrench, little turn, readjust the wrench... It surprised me how reasonably stable the door was with just one hinge, I did have a jack under the opposite end of the door to support it and had my wife stand-by to support the door if necessary. There's the matter of realigning the door with the replacement hinge, it took a bit, but I got it OK.

The low pitched clunking and rattling are now gone. Just thought I'd share my experience.