Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RickinPA
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By RickinPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2019, 05:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default salvage yard shopping list?

Recently I went to a local you-pull-it salvage yard to get a replacement door hinge. While there, I picked up a spare windshield wiper switch that seemed in good shape for $4 ( I seemed to remember them being expensive, yup, $120 to $210 new at Rockauto).

Something I noticed is that the Cruisers seem to be fading from the scene at the salvage yard. There were about 16 there a year or so ago, this time maybe 8 or so. It makes sense, the PT Cruiser is approaching 10 years out of production, so the daily drivers are fading from the road.

Before they fade from the scene entirely, maybe it would be a good idea to scrounge the salvage yards for spare parts to stock up on.

Next time I go, I'll probably pick-up a spare rear wiper switch as they're $70 new.

Probably those plastic body panel clips would be good to stock up on.

Any ideas out there on good items to stock up on? You know, stuff that is expensive new but cheap at the salvage yard or stuff that is just hard to get or stuff that frequently requires replacement.

Also, did they ever make a black shifter boot for the manual transmission PT?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 28 Apr 2019, 07:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: salvage yared shopping list?

Yes. Here's some stuff I've picked up at salvage yards for my PT's:

1. Spare tire with aluminum rim.
2. OEM cargo net that came in the cubby in 2001 PT's
3. An extra engine cover with studs to trade with other members.
4. Rear window wiper off a Dodge Magnum. It looks MUCH better on a PT Cruiser than the original.
5. Better stereo out of a high-end 2002 thru 2005 Mopar.
6. Chrome NA automatic shifter.
7. Steering Wheel with silver accents.
8. Chrome door lock pulls.
9. Chrome side molding spears.
10 Grill with chrome accents.
11 Spoiler
12 Cubby door from 2001 PT.
13 Hood security switch from 2001 PT.
14 Satellite Radio receiver, harness and antenna from a 2002 thru 2005 Pacifica. This stuff is much easier to harvest from a Pacific. You just need the receiver bracket from a PT. The Pacifica may also have a multiplexer behind the stereo head. That lets you have both satellite radio and an aux input adapter.
15 Thick luxurious floor mats from a high-end Mopar. I like the ones that came in the LHS.
16 Read disc brake PT axle if your PT doesn't have rear disc brakes.
17 Underseat drawer if you have a 1st Gen PT. Get the pedestal out from underneath the passengers seat to use under the driver's seat of your PT for a second underseat drawer.
18 "Premium" door speakers from a 2001/2002 PT Limited. These sound WAY better. The door speakers were cheapened in 2003. Rear speakers are okay.
19 Chrome gas door.
20 Automatic dimming rear view mirror.
21 Cargo area shelf if you don't have one.
22 Rear sway bar from a 2001/2002 PT is you don't have one.

There's more, but that's enough for now.
RickinPA likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Apr 2019 at 07:57 pm.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 05:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the thoughts Handy. It makes me appreciate having a first year Cruiser, I already have a number of items on the list. It's a shame they decontented so many good items from Cruisers over the years. But it's good ideas for anyone planning a salvage yard run.

I did add a number of items to my list. The rear wiper is a good one, mine has always been stiff on the pivot. I'll keep an eye out for stereos, I'm not sure if it's too new it could get into a CANBUS issues. The steering wheel is also a good one, it reminded me my wheel has gotten a bit worn over the years. Coming home from work today, I noted how I often rest my elbow on the door rest and hold the wheel at the eight o'clock position, sure enough, that's where it's worn.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 06:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinPA View Post
Thanks for the thoughts Handy. It makes me appreciate having a first year Cruiser, I already have a number of items on the list. It's a shame they decontented so many good items from Cruisers over the years. But it's good ideas for anyone planning a salvage yard run.

I did add a number of items to my list. The rear wiper is a good one, mine has always been stiff on the pivot. I'll keep an eye out for stereos, I'm not sure if it's too new it could get into a CANBUS issues. The steering wheel is also a good one, it reminded me my wheel has gotten a bit worn over the years. Coming home from work today, I noted how I often rest my elbow on the door rest and hold the wheel at the eight o'clock position, sure enough, that's where it's worn.
If you have a 2001 PT, you will need a harness plug adapter and an antenna adapter to use the 2002 thru 2005 oval face stereos. Yours looks the same but it's not. Either way, CANbus doesn't become an issue until 2006.