• 1 Post By soonercruiser
  • 1 Post By nj318
  • 3 Post By ptprice
  • 1 Post By pawpawdiv9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2019, 05:24 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default SOOO BIG's got his lower dentures again

I installed SOOO BIG's new lower chrome grille, sent from Darrin, the3gm.
SOOO BIG's old lower grille fell off because the four small plastic retaining tabs are the weak point in securing the grille.
The grille cover was positioned and seated. Even though the four small plastic retaining tabs were secured with out snapping them off, as mentioned, they're the weak point in securing the lower grille cover.
I modified the aftermarket lower grill by adding holes and two 1/4" stainless steel hold down screws. They're backed with nylon washers and seat in rust free U-nuts positioned below the grille cover cross bar and pushed from the rear onto the grille opening cross bar.( A telescoping magnet was handy for recovering many dropped U-nuts in the neither area behind the bumper cover bottom. This was really close quarters.)
The holes were hogged out starting with an off set awl and progressively larger screws as the hole position is too off set to allow a drill.

Lower dentures back in place on SOOO BIG.
front1.jpg

Close up of upper and lower grilles.
grilles.jpg

Detail of installed stainless steel hold down screws.
grille4.jpg

Started hole below the grille, reference lines on masking tape.
holel1.jpg

Started hole with 1/4" stainless steel screw test seated in U-nut, referenced tape still in place.
rgrille.jpg

Close up of installed 1/4" stainless steel screw with nylon washer.
rt-2.jpg

Awl, long starter screw, U-nut, 1/4" stainless steel screw and nylon washer.
awl1.jpg

Now that I'm done I'm sure this grille won't fall off!
Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 07:39 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: SOOO BIG's got his lower dentures again

Nice job, Price. No more "gumming it" for SOOO BIG. LOL
ptprice likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 09:29 am
Young Cruiser

Awesome, i had mine for a long time now (maybe 12-14+ yrs)...Have you noticed in some areas, especially inside of the grill, that the chrome is turning a yellow color. It looks like the chrome fades away, but its not a peeling thing. Just assuming it the age & wear on it.
ptprice likes this.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 11:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Being my area of expertise.....
I hope you used a semi-permanent denture adhesive!!!!
ptprice likes this.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 29 Apr 2019, 12:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Looks great!
ptprice likes this.
Old 30 Apr 2019, 08:41 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Awesome, i had mine for a long time now (maybe 12-14+ yrs)...Have you noticed in some areas, especially inside of the grill, that the chrome is turning a yellow color. It looks like the chrome fades away, but its not a peeling thing. Just assuming it the age & wear on it.
SOOO BIG's first PT Cruiser after market chrome grill set had quite a history. Bear with me as I tell the tale.
SOOO BIG was born with the factory chrome package, including the chrome grilles.
I did a private trade to get SOOO BIG, for a 2002 Miata. I got a great deal, insisting on cash extra in addition to the swap. I used that cash as a starter to bring SOOO BIG up to a semblance of the condition of that Miata.
SOOO BIG's previous owner really wanted that Miata so the deal was done! That Miata was in fabulous condition but as it had a standard tranny, working the clutch was rough on my old left knee and I really never could comfortably fit in it. I didn't so much get in it, I put it on like a pair of tight pants.So I was glad to be shed of it.
My second reasoning was my family still all drives PT Cruisers. Both my sons and my brother.
With that cash in hand, SOOO BIG's parts off reincarnation began. I started with some needed mechanicals I'd spotted with the test drive. Re-lining the front calipers, bleeding the brakes, new tires, four corner alignment and finally minor body stuff. Angelo, the shop owner, to do the "parts off" work on SOOO BIG, between other jobs. I stripping SOOO BIG down as much as possible and helped a bit here and there. It was a win for Angelo time wise and a win for me cost wise.. It took over nine weeks but it was worth ever second. In every case the work was done to Angeo's highest standard. SOOO BIG was finished with a full, all over three coats of original Cool Vanilla White and the three coats of clear hand polished. That's why SOOO BIG fairs so well in the Florida sun.
Those original factory chrome grilles had to go. They just hadn't withstood the test of time. The original Mopar replacement parts bumper cover and chrome grille assembly were out of my price range, over $1000 from Mopar, and I liked the more massive look of the aftermarket replacement grille kit. So the solution was an aftermarket standard bumper cover and original Mopar standard grille.
My son Steve came to the rescue and turned an old family heirloom over to SOOO BIG. He gave me his original replacement chrome grille set from his first year, 2000/2001, PT Cruiser Aquacruiser.
Steve's uncle-in-law had slightly clipped the right side of Aquacruiser's bumper cover. Steve had it repaired and repainted and decided, after the repair, to keep that old chrome grille set off. Even though it had served him for well over a decade.
Subsequently, after a gentle application of Turtle Wax Chrome Polish, SOOO BIG sported that ancient chrome grille set with pride for years before a stumble fingered, big belly mechanic caught his belt in the upper grille bar end broke it off.
Posted is a photo of SOOO BIG when I first got him. A photo of SOOO BIG during his parts off reincarnation and a photo of that heirloom grille, that was was still pristine till that clown broke a chrome grill tip off. 2001 to 2016, not bad for a family heirloom.
So these aftermarket chrome grille covers do last, unless you have one "fall off" like I experienced with an interim lower chrome grille cover.
Of course SOOO BIG's always lived in Florida. And Steve's Aquacruiser's always garaged.

Happy PTin', ptprice

cruisergrille.jpgSOO BIG's repair, front view.jpgheirloom.jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 30 Apr 2019 at 06:06 pm.
Old 12 May 2019, 01:20 pm
Young Cruiser

Nice story. Mine is a 2003, has near 67K miles. I have the rubber bumpers and tried all sorts of stuff. I feel like if i just get a new paint job, that i can drive her another 20-30 yrs. and still be below 100K as i seldom drive it, just enough to keep the juices flowing you say.
Before her, i once owned a full size 84 bronco---this is where i stand:
The new Bronco comes out next year- and i always loved it. It has more room, plus at a saftey point as my gut inches closer to the wheel. So, i am looking at departing her, but at what cost? Slap a 500 paint on her and maybe get 2500-3k for it and move on??
Gots a lot of thinking to do this year.
ptprice likes this.