Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What arrow direction for catch can?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 May 2019, 08:39 am
Cool Cruiser

Default What arrow direction for catch can?

I have a 07 GT and installed a K&N style air intake. My question is: I have the hose that used to go to the air intake but am diverting it because I don't want oil etc going up into the turbo. So, I am adding a catch can with a filter at the end of it. I need to know what direction the air flow needs to go (arrow on catch can). Does it go out toward the little filter or in towards the engine?
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 01 May 2019, 10:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What arrow direction for catch can?

I've got a catch can on my Dodge Challenger SRT8 HEMI.
(Known for considerable Blow-By....about a half can per oil change.)
But, I've never seen a discussion about a catch can on a PT GT!

Didn't think that we have THAT MUCH blow by to be concerned about.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 01 May 2019, 10:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
I've got a catch can on my Dodge Challenger SRT8 HEMI.
(Known for considerable Blow-By....about a half can per oil change.)
But, I've never seen a discussion about a catch can on a PT GT!

Didn't think that we have THAT MUCH blow by to be concerned about.
As I understand it, the reasoning is that with a turbo car, you don't want oil or anything else going to the turbo since the air intake goes to the turbo and not the throttle body like a n/a engine
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 01 May 2019, 10:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
I have a 07 GT and installed a K&N style air intake. My question is: I have the hose that used to go to the air intake but am diverting it because I don't want oil etc going up into the turbo. So, I am adding a catch can with a filter at the end of it. I need to know what direction the air flow needs to go (arrow on catch can). Does it go out toward the little filter or in towards the engine?
Flow should go toward the intake manifold. That's the way it works most of the time. But it reverses when the throttle is open and when under boost. If you have have a boost gauge, you can watch this in real time as pressure goes from negative to positive in the intake manifold.

Ideally, the positive pressure from boost is prevented from entering the crank case by the PCV valve. However, it doesn't seem to work all the time. That's why I recommended an extra check valve between the PCV valve and the intake manifold. But even with this all working correctly, there will be no negative pressure on the crank case during open throttle and/or boost. So at that time, any blow-by can create positive pressure on the crank case and freely escape through the PCV vent instead of being scavenged back into the intake manifold. That's where the oil comes from. Blow-by is mostly water vapor gas and oil particulates. The water vapor often evaporates away but the oil remains.

PS: In the type of catch cans used on modern Hemi engines, they remain cool enough for water to collect in them. When I dump mine, I often find a water layer and an oil layer. While most Hemi's are naturally aspirated, the design appears to create blow-by even in new engines. Chrysler put an elaborate PCV system in the intake manifold, but a catch can is still a good idea. I often collect half a cup of oil between oil changes.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 01 May 2019 at 10:39 am.
Old 01 May 2019, 10:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Flow should go toward the intake manifold. That's the way it works most of the time. But it reverses when the throttle is open and when under boost. If you have have a boost gauge, you can watch this in real time as pressure goes from negative to positive in the intake manifold.

Ideally, the positive pressure from boost is prevented from entering the crank case by the PCV valve. However, it doesn't seem to work all the time. That's why I recommended an extra check valve between the PCV valve and the intake manifold. But even with this all working correctly, there will be no negative pressure on the crank case during open throttle and/or boost. So at that time, any blow-by can create positive pressure on the crank case and freely escape through the PCV vent instead of being scavenged back into the intake manifold. That's where the oil comes from. Blow-by is mostly water vapor gas and oil particulates. The water vapor often evaporates away but the oil remains.

PS: In the type of catch cans used on modern Hemi engines, they remain cool enough for water to collect in them. When I dump mine, I often find a water layer and an oil layer.
I had the arrow going out to the little filter (the end where the hose used to connect to the airbox) So, I need to switch it? If so, do you think it could have messed anything up driving with it like this for the last couple of days?

Last edited by shelbyzman; 01 May 2019 at 10:39 am.
Old 01 May 2019, 10:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I had the arrow going out to the little filter (the end where the hose used to connect to the airbox) So, I need to switch it? If so, do you think it could have messed anything up driving with it like this for the last couple of days?
I doubt you messed anything up. I don't know which catch can you are using, but it was likely just less efficient. In many, the blow-by enters the can from the side or near the bottom while the air leaves the cap from near the top. You may want to rinse out the wire mesh filter in the catch can if it has one. This can often be done with WD40.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 01 May 2019 at 10:58 am.
Old 01 May 2019, 10:54 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I doubt you messed anything up. I don't know which catch can you are using, but it was likely just less efficient. In many the blow-by enters the can from the side or near the bottom while the air leaves the cap from near the top.

Good to know. This is what I'm using: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Engine-...8AAOSw1lxcfztM
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 01 May 2019, 03:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
I don't think you have your catch can in the right line. The "make-up" air hose (driver's side of valve cover) to air box does not need a catch can. If you vented it to atmosphere and put a filter, what are you preventing from entering your turbo? The catch can @Handy is talking about goes in the PCV valve (passenger side of valve cover) to intake manifold line.

I almost posted this in the thread with your initial question, but it appeared that @Handy had explained it well enough. I guess he didn't.
Old 01 May 2019, 03:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
I don't think you have your catch can in the right line. The "make-up" air hose (driver's side of valve cover) to air box does not need a catch can. If you vented it to atmosphere and put a filter, what are you preventing from entering your turbo? The catch can @Handy is talking about goes in the PCV valve (passenger side of valve cover) to intake manifold line.

I almost posted this in the thread with your initial question, but it appeared that @Handy had explained it well enough. I guess he didn't.
I thought the reason for the catch can is so that you don't have to clean out the little filter coming of the line that used to go to the stock air box since the catch can is "catching" the oil. Either way, I want to make sure I have the direction/flow of the catch can correct.

Last edited by shelbyzman; 01 May 2019 at 03:25 pm.
Old 01 May 2019, 03:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
So, I am adding a catch can with a filter at the end of it. I need to know what direction the air flow needs to go (arrow on catch can). Does it go out toward the little filter or in towards the engine?
You should be asking the manufacture,reading the instructions for installation or contact and ask the supplier you purchased it from.
Fk5 likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN