PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Should motor move while idling?

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 May 2019, 10:53 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Should motor move while idling?

I had two of my motor mounts put on my PT. I am probably looking for problems but it seems like the motor moves back and forth more than it should. It isn't extreme, but it is normal for the motor to move back and for some while idling? Also, when I start it, it almost sounds like a small thud sound. Again, I may being paranoid but just wanted to see what you guys think.
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 02 May 2019, 11:12 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Should motor move while idling?

If you are truly meaning motor mounts as in the center motor mount, that does not stop the engine from twisting. The torque struts (often misnamed "motor mounts") keep the engine from twisting forward and back. They tend to wear out rather quickly but are cheap ($10 each mail order from Rock Auto or $40+ from a local parts store like Autozone ) and relatively easy to replace (maybe an hour as a DIY job.

Center motor mount From Rock Auto (pretty tough job to replace):

Upper and lower torque struts:

You could see the test on this video at around 4:30
If you don't have someone to press the gas pedal, you can remove the over where the throttle cable attaches to the throttle body and rotate it yourself to rev the engine.

rockandroller and dougs like this.

Last edited by rsrocket1; 02 May 2019 at 11:36 am.
Old 02 May 2019, 11:22 am
Cool Cruiser

The center motor mount was changed (one you are supposed to remove the motor to change, lol) and the upper passenger side one was changed. So it's probably the lower one that needs to be change. Mine is a turbo..does that make it harder to change? How much movement is normal? Thanks for the video...how do you perform the test with a 5 speed?
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)

Last edited by shelbyzman; 02 May 2019 at 12:08 pm.
Old 02 May 2019, 12:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

No more difficult for the turbo model than it is for the N/A. It's the same procedure and isn't hard at all. For a 5-speed, I'd put it in neutral, set the parking brake and rev the engine. Look for the engine to move.
rsrocket1 likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 02 May 2019, 01:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
No more difficult for the turbo model than it is for the N/A. It's the same procedure and isn't hard at all. For a 5-speed, I'd put it in neutral, set the parking brake and rev the engine. Look for the engine to move.
Cool....thanks for the info! Not hard at all is about my speed when it comes to working on cars, lol.
Old 02 May 2019, 07:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

After you replaced the upper torque motor mount did you do the 4.720 alignment procedure?
pt06 likes this.
Old 02 May 2019, 08:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
After you replaced the upper torque motor mount did you do the 4.720 alignment procedure?
My cousin changed it but I don't think he did that procedure. Would not having it exact be enough for the engine to have movement? How hard is that mount to adjust and or check?
Old 02 May 2019, 08:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
My cousin changed it but I don't think he did that procedure. Would not having it exact be enough for the engine to have movement? How hard is that mount to adjust and or check?
Old 03 May 2019, 01:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It is not hard to adjust. After you do it a few times it only takes about 30 minutes but you need to know all the steps to adjust the 4.720 dim.
The best thing to do is look in the factory manual and it will tell you how to do it step by step.
To answer your question yes if the dimension is off the motor will have more movement and will ruin the motor mounts if not taken care of.
Old 03 May 2019, 04:26 am
Senior Cruiser

DANGER: do not jack the engine as shown in the video.

The engine is supported by a motor mount at the trans and another at the passenger side of the engine. Two struts [one upper and one lower] keep the motor from twisting forward or backwards. To adjust the proper location of the of the motor, the struts have elongated holes in them. The bolts going thru them must be loosened up, then the front of the trans must be jacked up to achieve the 4.720 [4 3/4" shy] dimension. A picture of this is in manuals and on this site. Then; both bolts get tightened. This equalizes the force on both bushing.

Only a small amount of jacking pressure is required.