• 1 Post By ptprice
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By Fk5
  • 5 Post By sanatanadharma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 May 2019, 06:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Sunroof Moonroof

Wasn't sure if Sunroof questions are "interior" or "exterior", so I'll ask here. A small piece of plastic track guide broke last year, and I want to disconnect the unit. Is there a dedicated fuse I can pull, or am I going to have to disconnect the switch or a harness somewhere?
ptprice likes this.
Old 06 May 2019, 10:07 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Sunroof Moonroof

First gen (2001-2005)
Fuse #14 (20 amp) in the dash fuse block.
This fuse also controls circuits for radio, overhead console and map lights.

Second gen, I do not know
ptprice likes this.
Old 06 May 2019, 11:03 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
Wasn't sure if Sunroof questions are "interior" or "exterior", so I'll ask here. A small piece of plastic track guide broke last year, and I want to disconnect the unit. Is there a dedicated fuse I can pull, or am I going to have to disconnect the switch or a harness somewhere?
Instead of defunctioning your Moon Roof, you might search your local salvage yard to find a replacement for that broken part on the track guide. When I first bought SOOO BIG, the front air damn that raises as the Moon Roof slides back was broken. A salvage yard search found me a replacement. The Moon Roof's functioned perfectly since replacing the part. Having that Moon Roof on SOOO BIG's kinda like "putting the top down," but without all the wind.
Happy PTin', ptprice
podo2000 likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 06 May 2019 at 06:01 pm.
Old 06 May 2019, 11:58 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
First gen (2001-2005)
Fuse #14 (20 amp) in the dash fuse block.
This fuse also controls circuits for radio, overhead console and map lights.

Second gen, I do not know
It's an '04. I wanted to keep the sunroof from opening by accident. If I pull fuse #14, radio, etc will not function. Maybe I can just throw some tape over the switch. Thanks.

Last edited by Rumble; 07 May 2019 at 12:05 am.
Old 07 May 2019, 12:05 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Instead of defunctioning your Moon Roof, you might search your local salvage yard to find a replacement for that broken part on the track guide. When I first bought SOOO BIG, the front air damn that raises as the Moon Roof slides back was broken. A salvage yard search found me a replacement. The Moon Roof's functioned perfectly since replacing the part. Having that Moon Roof on SOOO BIG's kinda like "putting the top down," but without all the wind.
Happy PTin', ptprice
Not sure if I want to tackle taking the thing apart, depends how big a headache it is (I have the shop manual bookmarked, repair looks like fun!). Might be selling the car soon, and maybe letting the new owner deal with it. Thanks.
Old 07 May 2019, 05:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The easiest repair for these is to simply swap out the entire mechanism with one from a salvage PT. The 2001/2002 sunroofs are better made and are interchangeable with the later PT's. I did this swap on my 2005 GT.

Simply drop the headline, remove about ten 10mm nuts, unplug it, pull the four drain hoses, and the whole thing comes out as one piece glass, mechanism, motor and all.

From 2003 up, it's plastic. The 2001/2002 mechanisms are metal and heavier-made.
Fk5 and ptprice like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 07 May 2019 at 08:54 am.
Old 07 May 2019, 08:15 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
The easiest repair for these is to simply swap out the entire mechanism with one from a salvage PT. The 2001/2002 sunroofs are better made and are interchangeable with the later PT's. I did this swap on my 2005 GT.

Simple drop the headline, remove about ten 10mm nuts, unplug it, pull the four drain hoses, and the whole thing comes out as one piece glass, mechanism, motor and all.

From 2003 up, it's plastic. The 2001/2002 mechanisms are metal and heavier-made.
My first thought was that it would be likely the JY part could have the same issues, but you explained it. Good to know.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 07 May 2019, 09:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

Reading my 2004 electrical schematic:

Look for a white connector under the driver's seat.
Odd place but that is where the manual says to look.
Good luck.

It will have six wires, all serve the sunroof switch and motor.
(yellow/red, white, violet, light blue, brown, black)
Disconnecting this will leave the #14 fuse circuits intact while disabling the sunroof switch and motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
It's an '04. I wanted to keep the sunroof from opening by accident. If I pull fuse #14, radio, etc will not function. Maybe I can just throw some tape over the switch. Thanks.

Tags
moonroof, sunroof