Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Macgyverman1123
  • 1 Post By RickinPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 May 2019, 09:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default It's been a while! Got a leaky rim

Hey guys!!!

It's been quite a while since I've posted, but I've been busy being a new dad, full-time+ worker and full time student, so I've had my hands full, plus, my Carolina Hurricanes have been flying high and proud as of late, which is always reason to be happy! #TakeWarning

About 4 months ago, I got 4 new tires for the PT, and ever since, my passenger front tire has been leaking, about 1/2 a PSI per day. The old tire did it too, so I doubt it's a nail, I've checked pretty thoroughly, and yes, I do have the 5 spoke chrome wheels.

When I got new tires, I believe they also replaced the stem valve. During this time, the other tires haven't lost any pressure at all. Any ideas? Worth trying some of that slime stuff, or is that just a giant middle finger to whatever unfortunate tech has to put on new tires in a couple years?

GO CANES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rockandroller and dougs like this.
Old 11 May 2019, 07:14 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: It's been a while! Got a leaky rim

I'd take it to a tire shop, have them remove the tire and check the wheel. Odds are you have some corrosion around the sealing lip that could be cleaned up and take care of the problem. If the wheel is dented a little bit, then I guess you'd have to find another wheel or a shop that does wheel repair. Don't waste your money on a sealant unless the tire shop says that'll work.

Ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated, but there IS no cure for stupid.
Old 11 May 2019, 07:16 am
Cool Cruiser

Factory aluminum wheels? They have a habit of corrosion creeping under the chrome plating. That's what happened to mine. After struggling with a couple of bead leaks, I swapped them for steel wheels and ahem, hubcaps (blasphemy!). They look OK, but the factory wheels were tops, looks wise. The beads on all four aluminum rims were badly corroded, explaining the persistent slow leaks.

chuzz, I like your tag line, I may use it sometime.
chuzz likes this.

Last edited by RickinPA; 11 May 2019 at 07:18 am.
Old 11 May 2019, 11:40 am
Veteran Cruiser

I had a '65 bug with this problem...I finally put a tube in it.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 12 May 2019, 07:00 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinPA View Post
Factory aluminum wheels? They have a habit of corrosion creeping under the chrome plating. That's what happened to mine. After struggling with a couple of bead leaks, I swapped them for steel wheels and ahem, hubcaps (blasphemy!). They look OK, but the factory wheels were tops, looks wise. The beads on all four aluminum rims were badly corroded, explaining the persistent slow leaks.

chuzz, I like your tag line, I may use it sometime.
Feel free,RickinPA. I can't claim it. I got it off the heavy metal rock station I listen to. 101.1 WJRR out of Orlando.

Ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated, but there IS no cure for stupid.
Old 13 May 2019, 08:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I'd take it to a tire shop, have them remove the tire and check the wheel. Odds are you have some corrosion around the sealing lip that could be cleaned up and take care of the problem. If the wheel is dented a little bit, then I guess you'd have to find another wheel or a shop that does wheel repair. Don't waste your money on a sealant unless the tire shop says that'll work.
+1
I have had this problem with the factory chrome rims. My tire guy would hit them with a wire wheel and then put some (a little) black sealant type stuff on the edge.