• 1 Post By BJ8Healeys
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By pt06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 May 2019, 02:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default What is this part?

Hello, Cruiserphiles!
I believe the last time I was here was 5 years ago when I changed the timing belt on my Cruiser.

Changing the drive axles on my 2002 Cruiser with 150,000 miles. Got the driver's side axle out. The transaxle output shaft seals were not leaking, but I decided "while I'm in there.....".
Due to the restricted space, I was having trouble removing the old seal. The Haynes manual says simply to lever the seal out, but it wasn't obvious what to pry on. Prying on the rubber didn't do anything but pop the spring out.
O.K., there is a metal lip back there, so I tried prying on that but just managed to bend it a bit. That made me a little queasy. Gave up levering, and bought a seal puller which did the job.
Now, I could see that the thin metal part is not a part of the seal. It will turn around the drive axle hole in the transaxle. What is that thing? What does it do? Will it be a problem if I try to straighten it out before installing the new seal?
Thanks for any advice.
BJ8Healeys
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 19 May 2019, 06:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What is this part?

Less is more. Take your time and try to make it look like it never happened. Don't see you having any other choice. Nice tight camra shot would be helpful. But give it a try.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 May 2019, 07:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's a photo of the entire axle seal. It usually includes a thin metal ring, rubber seal and spring. It's all together one piece but sometimes comes out in pieces. Do you need anything beyond this?

pt06 likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 19 May 2019 at 07:13 pm.
Old 20 May 2019, 04:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Some seals have a flat large thin metal 'washer' built into them. And it may be hidden by the rubber [neoprene] material around it. A pic would be helpful.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 24 May 2019, 12:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the responses. The part is not a part of the oil seal, but the restricted view of the thing led me to believe it was. That's how I came to bend it trying to pry out the seal.
The nice lady at the local Chrysler dealer parts department was kind enough to search her system for the part. It's called an "oil dam", which suggests to me that its function is to help the oil seal cope with the fluid flow. I've attempted to attach an illustration showing where it goes, and what it looks like, but the 19.5 kb limit on attachments renders them too small to be useful.
Anyway, I straightened the edge of the hole as best I could, installed the new oil seal and drive axle, and took her for a test drive. No leaks or unusual noises so far, so I'm hoping there are no consequences to bending the little devil. Just be aware that the metal lip of the oil seal that you have to pry on is not visible, you have to feel for it.
Over and out....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fig.1.jpg (19.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Fig.2.jpg (14.4 KB, 14 views)