Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt Possible Trick or Workaround or Shortcut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 May 2019, 01:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Timing Belt Possible Trick or Workaround or Shortcut

After finally getting the timing belt right on our 2001 non-turbo PT after a rock blew up our water pump, I want to share a couple tricks that might help you out.

These probably will make no sense unless you've actually put your hands on it and wrestled with the thing -- especially the three-prong bracket that straddles the belt.

The biggest tip is this: you can remove the tensioner bolt, thereby removing the tension without removing much else.

To do this, only the tire, pencil bracket and alternator belt must be removed. The alternator belt can just be pushed aside.

Now, put a 15 mm on the tensioner bolt, and remove it. Now, the belt is lose. You can pull it off the cams and the crank, and rotate them all indepdently.

Why would you do this?

Say you just installed the belt and reassembled the vehicle, only to discover the timing is off. Now you have a trick for redoing it, without taking it apart again.

You can then push the tensioner back into place with a pry bar (I used a small crowbar) and reinsert the bolt. This will pull the belt and move the gears, mainly the crank. But you plan for this by setting the gears back.

I think it _might_ be possible to replace the belt by doing this, and then removing the lower bolt off the engine _bracket_ (not mount), the only bolt accessible without jaking the engine up and down. Then, with tensioner off, slid old belt of and around bracket, and new one on same way.

Just some thoughts.

Main thing is: don't give up, keep adjusting the belt and gears.

Something I realized working on this: there is not an infinite number of belt and gear configurations: there is a finite, small number limited by the belt teeth and gear teeth. If the timing is off, its probably just one tooth or so off.

Keep going.
Old 22 May 2019, 07:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt Possible Trick or Workaround or Shortcut

so just removing the alt belt, wheel, tensioner and the pencil strut you are speculating the belt can be installed? not in a month of Mondays... you are "possibly" forgetting a few obstacles.
Old 23 May 2019, 04:16 pm
Young Cruiser

The only real thing stopping it is the middle post of the cast iron bracket.
Old 24 May 2019, 03:55 pm
Young Cruiser

Actually, you still need to remove the crankshaft sprocket as well. So three jaw puller is still a necessity.

I think it might be theoretically feasible.

I pray that I never have cause to try and find out for sure.
Old 24 May 2019, 06:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtyson View Post
I think it _might_ be possible to replace the belt by ... with tensioner off, slid old belt of and around bracket, and new one on same way. Just some thoughts..
Pondering the possible. Finagle the belt under the outer removed bolts. Got to be a catch.

Old 25 May 2019, 02:40 am
Senior Cruiser

When I inspected the timing belt on mine, the belt was just about flush with the camshaft timing sprockets.
Old 25 May 2019, 01:30 pm
Young Cruiser

When I did the timing, the worst part was removing the cast iron bracket... I really had to jack the engine up and down. Getting the bolts in/out of that thing was awful. (Also, the bolts into the motor mount)

Followed by getting the timing correct.

So I'm trying to avoid the bracket removal entirely with this workaround.

And also provide a more convenient way to adjust timing if it is off...

This was my first time doing a timing belt. Felt very intimidating/overwhelming.

Hoping to help out the next guy!
Old 28 May 2019, 08:02 am
Fanatic Cruiser

It's not that bad removing the bolts from the cast iron bracket. A floor jack really helps. You must be very careful while lifting the engine to make sure the alternator is out of the way and not touching anything and also make sure the parts on the front are not touching anything or else you'll bend or snap them off as you are lifting the engine.

Here is a picture I took while reinstalling the cast iron bracket bolts. You really have to jack the engine up high in order to get that bottom bolt out and away from the wheel well. You don't remove it from the bottom. There are some bubba's who show videos where they cut a hole in the wheel well to take that bolt out from the bottom, not good.

If you haven't already watched them, watch the 7 part Youtube video from motorcitymechanic on how a professional gets down to the timing belt. I learned a lot from them.

Last edited by rsrocket1; 28 May 2019 at 10:32 am.
Old 29 May 2019, 02:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Cool, thanks.

Do you feel like we might damage the driver-side engine mount while jacking up this far?
Old 31 May 2019, 08:25 am
Fanatic Cruiser

If you do this carefully and lift it just high enough to remove the lower bolt to the iron bracket, no it won't hurt the driver's side. It's made to go that high. Just be absolutely sure that as you lift the passenger side of the engine that no part catches anything. It's really easy to bend or break parts in the front or rear if the lifting parts catch on a fixed part in the compartment.

I see that you have 2 threads on this subject. You should close one so that no one is answering it when you are trying to respond to another.

Last edited by rsrocket1; 31 May 2019 at 10:24 am.

Tags
timing