PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C and no low speed fan operation

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 May 2019, 03:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/C and no low speed fan operation

Hello and Happy Memorial Day to everyone. Had my daughters PT Cruiser in the shop today for some front brake pad replacement and she asked about her A/C operation and it didnt seem right. She complained of not so cold of air and stumbling at idle or coming to a stop with A/C on.

Lots of reading and searching here I have discovered that the fan is not running at all with the A/C on. I hear the compressor kicking on and off and it defiantly is effecting the idle.

If I am reading right the fan will not run if low on Freon but should it try to kick on when the compressor runs even though it is just a short bit? I did try swapping the relays on the fan shroud with no change. I was going to buy a new fan but thought I would double check here with the pros. I did also see that there is a 3 pin and 4 pin fan available. The 4 pin also came with harness and relays and the 3 pin did not.

Car is a 2006 Limited with 71,000 on it now. No overheating problems that I am aware of right now.
Old 27 May 2019, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C and no low speed fan operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCPT View Post
Hello and Happy Memorial Day to everyone. Had my daughters PT Cruiser in the shop today for some front brake pad replacement and she asked about her A/C operation and it didnt seem right. She complained of not so cold of air and stumbling at idle or coming to a stop with A/C on.

Lots of reading and searching here I have discovered that the fan is not running at all with the A/C on. I hear the compressor kicking on and off and it defiantly is effecting the idle.

If I am reading right the fan will not run if low on Freon but should it try to kick on when the compressor runs even though it is just a short bit? I did try swapping the relays on the fan shroud with no change. I was going to buy a new fan but thought I would double check here with the pros. I did also see that there is a 3 pin and 4 pin fan available. The 4 pin also came with harness and relays and the 3 pin did not.

Car is a 2006 Limited with 71,000 on it now. No overheating problems that I am aware of right now.
Does the A/C work at high speeds? The radiator fan is not needed at high speeds for the A/C to work.
Old 27 May 2019, 04:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It seems to work ok but I think it should be much cooler though. I did put a set of A/C gauges on the low side port and the gauge was fluctuating all over the place. I dont remember the exact numbers but I could hook them back up if you need me to.
Old 27 May 2019, 11:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest you disconnect the radiator fan plug and manually apply 12 volts to the low speed to verify radiator fan needs to be replaced.
Old 28 May 2019, 04:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, I will test fan later tonight and post results. Did some more reading and Youtubeing and have a fan in my cart from Amazon if needed.
Old 29 May 2019, 01:24 am
Senior Cruiser

I've had 5 Pt Cruisers and the radiator/condenser cooling fan are two speed, low for radiator cooling and
high speed for AC condenser cooling. They are not powered after about 35 MPH because air flow through
the coils is sufficient to maintain operation with in specs.
The ones I had failed around 100,000 and I also had one where the connector started to heat up because
of higher than normal AMP draw because the fan motor was going bad which caused the replacement to
work intermittently because of the loose connection.
You could have two problems where the fan is not running while under 35 mph and a low Freon charge.
The fan not running will cause higher pressure in the AC cooling system causing a idle to be on the rough side,
and poor cooling while driving would be a sign of freon needing to added to bring system into correct operating specifications.
A bad ground at the harness connector near the lower left side of the cooling fan or a bad ground to the body due to deteriorating
copper wire at the left fender location near the battery will cause both fan speeds not to function.

And yes a low pressure switch located on top of the receiver dryer will cause the high speed not to function.
It be easily checked by removing the electrical connector and jumping the connector to close the connection.
It can be replaced without discharging the system
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 29 May 2019 at 01:36 am.
Old 29 May 2019, 02:56 am
Senior Cruiser

Mine is a 2006. My AC is working well. The first thing to check is the coolant level. When the engine is cold, pop the hood and remove the radiator cap. It should be right up to the top. The plastic reservoir tank should be 1/3 full or a little more. Start the car. Move fan dial to medium. Move temp dial to full cold. push the AC button. Cold air should come out in 10 seconds. The radiator fan should be on high. You can hear it by standing in front of the car. After I shut off the AC, the radiator fan continued to run for another 15 seconds before it shut off.

The ground wire for an '06 is in the middle of the right inner fender behind the aluminum AC tubing lines. [5/16" hex head] screw. Or 8 mm.
Old 29 May 2019, 03:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

After a long night of working on the car for other reasons (Stuck brake caliper) I got to test the fan. I watched the below linked video. I tested the plug coming from the TIPM and all was well. I then tried to activate the low speed fan by supplying 12 volts to the fan and got nothing. Plugged everything back in and took car for a small ride to warm up everything to see if fan would come on once vehicle was hot. It did finally come on.

I have ordered a new fan from Amazon and it should be here on Thursday. I will replace it then to see what happens. I still also think that there could be a A/C problem that I will tackle after getting the fan replaced.

I have been reading the "HOW TO VACUUM DOWN & CHARGE YOUR A/C SYSTEM" thread to get familiar with the components. I already have everything but the pump and have a friend in the A/C business that can help me with that.

Old 29 May 2019, 04:32 am
Senior Cruiser

This video is confusing and misleading. There are better explanations on this site. An ASE patch sewn onto a shirt has questionable value.
Old 29 May 2019, 05:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

I agree with the ASE patch comment but I thought the explanation of the various pins was pretty good.

Could you show me or point me in the right direction for better explanations? I have done multiple searches but most lead me to the explanation of the older 3 pin fan scenarios found on the first gen PT's.

Thanks again for all the help provided. I really do appreciate it.