PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Magnaflow catalytic converter

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 May 2019, 09:07 am
Young Cruiser

Default Magnaflow catalytic converter

Has anyone replaced their catalytic converter with a Magnaflow?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/magnaflow-4266/exhaust-parts-16469/catalytic-converter-19731/catalytic-converter-12210/acfb88507405/magnaflow-catalytic-converter/26207/4446725/2001/chrysler/pt-cruiser?fitAttr_10047=Show+All&q=Catalytic+Convert er&pos=0

My PT is a 2001 Touring, 2.4L NA.

The shop I use is saying to replace the cat will be up to $1400, because they don't know how much work it will be to find a cat that will fit, or how much fabrication they will need to do.

Is the Magnaflow a simple bolt-on replacement with no welding or other extra work needed to make it fit?

Thanks
Old 30 May 2019, 10:28 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Magnaflow catalytic converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptal View Post

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/magnaflow-4266/exhaust-parts-16469/catalytic-converter-19731/catalytic-converter-12210/acfb88507405/magnaflow-catalytic-converter/26207/4446725/2001/chrysler/pt-cruiser?fitAttr_10047=Show+All&q=Catalytic+Convert er&pos=0

The shop I use is saying to replace the cat will be up to $1400, because they don't know how much work it will be to find a cat that will fit, or how much fabrication they will need to do.

Is the Magnaflow a simple bolt-on replacement with no welding or other extra work needed to make it fit?

Thanks
I generally consider any exhaust work as requiring welding. I've used clamps and I'd rather just weld it up. That being said, most exhaust shops can probably weld up the necessary connectors to adapt a universal cat for waaaaaaay less than $1,400.
Old 30 May 2019, 11:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yup! Unless he lives in California....

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 30 May 2019, 02:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Yup! Unless he lives in California....
In which case he's have to use an OEM cat, or an aftermarket one that's CARB approved. In any event, $1400 seems WAY expensive for such work.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 30 May 2019, 03:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Thanks
Federal law prohibits resale of used cat converters, so picking up a salvage OEM cat is usually not going to happen. This means you will need a new one.

I don't know where you live, but in most US states other than California and several others that are in EPA "non-attainment" for air emissions, you can have a local exhaust shop install a universal cat converter for a fairly reasonable price. These are normally welded in place using some adapters to reach the correct exhaust pipe size. For a many exhaust shops, welding is far easier than turning a wrench. Thus the price is much lower and the one-size fits all approach lowers the price. Since our cars just have little four cylinders engines, flow is of little concern with a universal cat because it also works on V8's.

There's also the option of simply deleting the cat converter. LOT's of people do this in states that don't require actual exhaust emissions testing. Federal law and many state laws do prohibit removal of cat converters, but there is no federal system for enforcement on individuals. And many states just mirror federal law and only regulate shops. Thus, in many states, especially "red states", an individual can remove the cat converter and just replace it with a piece of pipe or an aftermarket pipe made for this purpose. I know they sell them for turbo PT's on eBay and Amazon. I'm not sure about non-turbo PT's. While technically illegal, these states have no "cat converter police" for individuals so the law is not applied.

To price a replacement cat in your areas, call up a local parts store and price one. Then figure one to two hours of shop time to weld it in place and add $50 for supplies. That will likely come close to what you should pay in a state without strict emissions laws. Where I live, the universal cat that exhaust shops often install are actually cheaper than the ones at parts stores. So you may find the price is very good at the right exhaust shop.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 30 May 2019 at 03:41 pm.
Old 30 May 2019, 04:19 pm
Young Cruiser

Thank you for the replies.

The bolt-on version of the Magnaflow cat is $330.99 vs. around $150 for a universal.

If this is a true bolt-on with no fabrication needed, no welding, no jury-rigging, etc. to get it to fit, and if the labor to make a universal fit over just a direct replacement is over $150 more, then this cat would be a wash or about the same price for replacement.

The exhaust sounds like there is a leak near the front, but I cannot locate any hole (hard to crawl under the car & the driveway is a bit wet/muddy from all the rains we have been getting in the midwest). The exhaust looks good from the cat back. The car is throwing a P0139 code - downstream O2 sensor. That sensor has been changed and the code reappeared after driving about 4 miles from the shop. They say the next step is to replace the cat & gave me the "it could be anywhere up to $1400" depending on how much work it will take to make a universal fit.

Now, if the flex joint is bad, then a universal won't fix it. What I was wondering was if anyone had used the bolt-on version of the Magnaflow cat & if it was a straight bolt-on with no other fabrication needed or if there were problems with it.

Thanks
Old 05 Jun 2019, 09:50 am
Young Cruiser

Followup on this, the shop recommended taking it to a muffler shop for the actual replacement - that is what they do. The shop quoted a price of ~$760 for the replacement. I asked them to double-check that the cat needed replacement, so they looked before changing it and found that the wires going to the O2 sensor had been chewed up about 6" from the sensor and fixed that for $81. I don't know why the repair shop - who replaced the O2 sensor - did not see that, they have been good in the past, but the employees were all different other than the owner this last time I went there.
Fk5 likes this.
Old 05 Jun 2019, 10:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Followup on this, the shop recommended taking it to a muffler shop for the actual replacement - that is what they do. The shop quoted a price of ~$760 for the replacement. I asked them to double-check that the cat needed replacement, so they looked before changing it and found that the wires going to the O2 sensor had been chewed up about 6" from the sensor and fixed that for $81. I don't know why the repair shop - who replaced the O2 sensor - did not see that, they have been good in the past, but the employees were all different other than the owner this last time I went there.
Congratulations! I was going to say that "They say the next step is to replace the cat" sounds crazy.
Old 05 Jun 2019, 05:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Wait just a minute- you took it to the shop, they replaced the O2 sensor, and then your PT starts throwing codes, and the shop says you need to replace your catalytic converter?
At the very least this is utter incompetence. They should be able to change an O2 sensor without buggering your sensor cable. You unplug the cable from the sensor, remove the sensor, pop in a new one, and plug the cable back in. It isn't rocket science.
But this sounds a LOT more like they tried to scam you. You have them put in a new sensor, they bugger the cable so that the sensor's signal doesn't get to your engine management system, the car throws codes, and they talk you into a lot of unnece$$ary work when all you need is the cable repaired or replaced. I'd have a talk with the folks at the Bureau of Automotive Repair and/or the Better Business Bureau. And stay the heck away from this shop!
chuzz likes this.
Old 06 Jun 2019, 08:08 am
Senior Cruiser

They did the right thing by him in the end. The car was throwing O2 codes when he brought it in. I don't think that they were trying to gouge him for extra work/money because that is why they quoted such a crazy price for the cat and told him they were going to send it to an exhaust shop. Questionable competence? Maybe, but those wiring issues can be hard to diagnose.