Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C not runnign very cold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 May 2019, 03:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/C not runnign very cold

So ive had this problem for a while and mostly ignored it. When I turn on my A/C I find that it does not run cold, maybe sorta cool at best. On very hot days darn near warm.

The Radiator fan is running, the compressor seems to be turning on (I can hear it), and the car is not over heating. Though maybe slightly warm. The temp gauge stays about at half way after highway travel. The freon/A/C juice is not leaking. it is full to proper level and charged.

I do find that the coolant seems to always be running low, even though I do not see any leaks.
Old 30 May 2019, 03:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: A/C not runnign very cold

Keep that coolant topped off. Check your hose clamps and make sure they're tight. And check the over flow hose to make sure there are no holes or cracks in it, either. Have you pressure tested the system? Could be a small leak or the radiator cap is no longer holding the proper pressure.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 30 May 2019, 08:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Keep that coolant topped off. Check your hose clamps and make sure they're tight. And check the over flow hose to make sure there are no holes or cracks in it, either. Have you pressure tested the system? Could be a small leak or the radiator cap is no longer holding the proper pressure.
I have done none of those really. Do you recommend filling the over flow tank, or the radiator directly?
Old 30 May 2019, 10:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Are you aware there is a high and low speed on the radiator fan?
Old 31 May 2019, 06:46 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashuu View Post
I have done none of those really. Do you recommend filling the over flow tank, or the radiator directly?
I always fill the radiator directly, right up to just below the overflow hole in the filler neck. The overflow has marks on it, for high and low. I try to split the difference.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 31 May 2019, 07:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Regarding the A/C:

If you're sure the system has a proper charge of freon, feel the very front radiator. That's the system condenser, if operating correctly, it should be warm. The aluminum tubes on the passenger side of the engine compartment carry the freon , they, or at least one of them should be cold in operation. If not the above, I'd suspect a problem with the refrigerant system.

Check the heater / air conditioner controls on the dash. Turning the knobs, you should feel and hear a change in the air flow. If the temperature control knob does not effect a change, it could be a jammed or stuck (hot / cold air) blend door in the system (under the dash).