PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 PT Cruiser Turbo. Help needed Please :)

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Macgyverman1123
  • 2 Post By rambojoe
  • 2 Post By chuzz
  • 2 Post By rsrocket1
  • 1 Post By ptpasto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2019, 11:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile 2004 PT Cruiser Turbo. Help needed Please :)

Hello guys and gals, Im new to all this so im sorry about my lack of knowledge.

I have a 2004 PT Turbo, I have to change the water pump. I will be changing everything while doing this job. (timing belt, ect.) I got it all apart but in doing so, my cam sprockets moved after the timing belt was off. They have moved in both directions a number of times. Also my timing belt gear (at the bottom of the timing belt) has moved, 1/4 turn clockwise and then back to the timing marks on the gear. (I may have turned it clockwise a turn or two as well) I am wondering will there be any damage done due to the cam sprockets moving and that gear moving counterclockwise? (and or clockwise a few turns) Im also having difficulties trying to get the darn timing belt back on as the tension pully seems to not want to move enough for me to get the belt over. Any answers would be very appreciate
Old 01 Jun 2019, 12:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 PT Cruiser Turbo. Help needed Please :)

Good Morning!

I can imagine that you just came in from the garage, covered in grease and feeling defeated, but don't worry, you came to the right place.
First, you need to make sure that the cams are properly aligned, make sure you line up the arrows. You could use a top dead center finding tool to make sure the pistons and crankshaft are in the right spot in relation to the cams. I'm not sure if you can use a "Cam locker" to hold the cams in place on the EDZ, but perhaps someone else here knows. I'm just spitball, as I've not done this job personally (Yet).

Good luck!

ptpasto likes this.
Old 01 Jun 2019, 01:41 am
Senior Cruiser

There are several youtube videos which explain the steps you need to follow to do the timing belt-water pump-idler-tensioner correctly.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 01 Jun 2019, 07:13 am
Cool Cruiser

there is no damage. when doing timing work, make sure to pull all the spark plugs. the cylinders at TDC have compression which is what makes the cams and flywheel want to "walk". I remove them, get the crank on the mark, THEN I put them back in. the static pressure (not 100+ psi) now above the piston will now help just keep things put. this works for any motor you rebuild...

you can make your own cam stays that will work good enough... use the holes in the cams near the #1 cylinder. 1/4" extensions and hose clamps will work- I used 2 same sized allen keys and plumbers tape with bolts through the holes..

the cams will not be locked with the crank but they will be locked together and aligned,. then you can focus on determining the right tooth on the belt. sharpie marks on the belt and intake cam help (ok, this mark didn't line everything up so lets advance/retard the dots ect.) referencing 2 mark that didn't work is better than just guessing and losing track.

a tip- get a new crank damper bolt now from the dealer- don't reuse it. and thoroughly clean the threads inside the crank. that damper is a bitch, youll see... clean and polish both mating surfaces and grease the bolt threadeds, it is a bitch of a interference fit... walk away when you need to, youll get it.

edit- remember to line up all 4 lines on the cam relative to the center of the sprocket bolts..with a flat metal ruler or something. start with the intake lines parallel with the cylinder head...its too easy to make a mistake just using the 2 inside lines..and if you think you lost the position of the cams, post a pic. (or pm someone to text it)- it should be obvious which way to turn them

Last edited by rambojoe; 01 Jun 2019 at 07:40 am.
Old 01 Jun 2019, 07:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

Check out this video. It shows you everything you need to know.
https://youtu.be/6qRrgHvZRMQ

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 01 Jun 2019, 08:49 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Chuzz points to an excellent set of videos.
A couple of extra tips:
Once you line up the marks on the cam sprockets and start placing the timing belt on the engine, use binder clamps to hold the timing belt in place.

Mark the belt, sprockets and crankshaft so that after you test the 2 revolutions of the crankshaft, IF the marks don't line up, you know you have to move the belt by one tooth. You can see that I missed by one tooth, but I knew which direction to move it and didn't have to start all over again randomly.

To get the belt over the tensioner is a real pain. If you can loosen the tensioner pulley bolt to where it just comes off, you can move the pulley inward, slip the belt over the pulley, then re-thread the bolt. I was able to leave the bolt threaded to where it was just barely in the hole. Once the belt is over the pulley, there is plenty of slack to easily re-thread the pulley bolt back into the bracket. Just make sure you don't cross thread the bolt.

When you think everything is back together and tensioned up, you can start the engine and run it for half a minute even with no coolant in the system and the engine sitting on the lift rather than mounted to the frame. This lets you be sure the timing is correct and the engine isn't stumbling and misfiring due to the belt being off a tooth.

Here's my test just to make sure the engine was running smoothly before putting everything back together. The first time, it seemed like everything was good until I filled the coolant back in and it rained under the car like a rain forest. I accidentally pinched the waterpump gasket and had to tear it back down to replace it but the next time everything went back together much quickly.

Old 01 Jun 2019, 06:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wink Re: 2004 PT Cruiser Turbo. Help needed Please :)

Thank you guys all for the info I will be working on this later today and will post my final outcome as im curious to see how it all goes. You guys are great I really appreciate all the input.
rockandroller likes this.
Old 01 Jun 2019, 11:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: 2004 PT Cruiser Turbo. Help needed Please :)

OH My I feel stupid and there is no fixing that!!! YIKES...
So first of all I had to wake up at 5am this morning and work a full day. When I got home I read and saw all the great post you guys left me. Sooo I went outside and said yeah I can do this No problem!!! I check to make sure my pistons were TDC by taking off the spark pugs and seeing where the cylinder was at and all was good with that. I lined up all my timing marks and started putting on the belt. I was very happy when I noticed that w/no slack in the belt I was finally able to get it over the tensioner!! WOOHOO I was like YEAH I did it, I even did a little happy dance. I went ahead and tighten up the tensioner and made sure that was correctly done. (that was fun too) So I took a pic so I could post, and thought ok Ill start it up for a few seconds to make sure all is well. BOY was I WRONG.... (Im posting a quick video so you can hear out horrible it sounded) After I came back inside, feeling defeated I decided to really look at my picture and shorten my video. Only to discover how many things I had done wrong. 1. My left Cam Sprocket was off (upside meaning the 2.4 and up arrow was on not in the right place) and needed to have it rotated so it was in the correct position. UGH!! (STUPID) 2. Some how the little marks had moved on me and were not completely straight with each other. So off w/the timing belt and I tried and tried again to get it back on but it was getting dark and I was getting frustrated so I quit for the night w/my head hanging low and my pride left to the pasture . MY goodness Now usually I don't make these types of mistakes but today I think I was way to tired to be doing any of this. So sit back and enjoy how much FUN im having being Stupid. I will give all this another try tomorrow and see if I can get it right. Now If you would like to look at my picture and my video and tell me how much damage I did, I would sure like to know before going any further.

YAY for me and BOOO for the car! Boy Do I need HELP and SLEEP!

2004pt (5).jpg

https://youtu.be/rOE_hBeQueY
Old 04 Jun 2019, 10:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: 2004 PT Cruiser Turbo. Help needed Please :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpasto View Post
Hello guys and gals, Im new to all this so im sorry about my lack of knowledge.

I have a 2004 PT Turbo, I have to change the water pump. I will be changing everything while doing this job. (timing belt, ect.) I got it all apart but in doing so, my cam sprockets moved after the timing belt was off. They have moved in both directions a number of times. Also my timing belt gear (at the bottom of the timing belt) has moved, 1/4 turn clockwise and then back to the timing marks on the gear. (I may have turned it clockwise a turn or two as well) I am wondering will there be any damage done due to the cam sprockets moving and that gear moving counterclockwise? (and or clockwise a few turns) Im also having difficulties trying to get the darn timing belt back on as the tension pully seems to not want to move enough for me to get the belt over. Any answers would be very appreciate

Read 2004 PT Cruiser Turbo Timing belt blues for a follow up on this post. i was able to get a new timing belt back on and put some new spark plugs in too. Champions Copper Plus R14MCC5. The timing belt kit was Gates TCKWP256C comes w/timing belt, water pump, idler, and new tension assembly. Everything you need its a very nice kit. I also replaced both the -Alternator Belt with Gates Micro V K040345 and the power steering, A/C Belt Gates Micro V K040551. (all the part are for at PT 2004 Turbo with A/C Vin Engine Number 8) Also flushed the radiator while i was at it. Car only has 50K miles on it so ill replace the wires in a bit. Hope all these part numbers and links help because as i was doing all my research I could never fine one place that named them all.
Last little tid bit of info... The Timing belt that comes from the Factory is Chrysler but it is made by Gates, so Gates is the way to go for replacement. Happy PTTING!

Tags
help please, timming belt, turbo