PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New strange noise???

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2019, 08:09 am
Cool Cruiser

Default New strange noise???

I drove my PT yesterday and it was making a kind of "change rattling" noise. It has been pinging a little lately, but only under hard acceleration. This sound is quite abit different and has a faster frequency than the other sound. Also, after driving it for about 10 miles the noise went away at all rpms. Any ideas?
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 03 Jun 2019, 08:13 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: New strange noise???

I don't think we have enough info.

Engine noise? Does it vary with revs? Does it go away when you press down on the clutch? Suspension noise? Brake noise? Does it vary with speed?
Old 03 Jun 2019, 08:26 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
I don't think we have enough info.

Engine noise? Does it vary with revs? Does it go away when you press down on the clutch? Suspension noise? Brake noise? Does it vary with speed?
It's an 07 GT (5-speed). Checked the oil level and it is perfect. It seems to be an engine noise but I haven't heard anything like it before. It's not very loud...if I had the stereo on even at low volume, I wouldn't be able to hear the noise. While approaching a stop sign I put it in neutral and it seemed to stop. I'm pretty certain it is not brakes or suspension or transmission. It didn't seem to change much with acceleration or deceleration. Also, like I mentioned earlier...it went away after about 10 minutes. My trip to work is about 45 and after 10 minutes it went away at all speeds. Sorry I don't have more info to give to help narrow things down. The more I drive it the more info I will have. I did fill up the car with premium fuel to see if it helped just it case it was pining (which I don't think it is) but it didn't change the sound.
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)

Last edited by shelbyzman; 03 Jun 2019 at 08:51 am.
Old 04 Jun 2019, 08:09 am
Cool Cruiser

Update....no sound on the way home from work yesterday or on the way to work today. I really don't think it was my change rattling, lol

Last edited by shelbyzman; 05 Jun 2019 at 08:53 am.
Old 05 Jun 2019, 09:51 am
Veteran Cruiser

You said that when you put it in neutral it seemed to stop. If that's the case, then I'd suspect either the clutch, throw out bearing or transmission. Keep an ear out and keep us posted.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 05 Jun 2019, 10:13 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
You said that when you put it in neutral it seemed to stop. If that's the case, then I'd suspect either the clutch, throw out bearing or transmission. Keep an ear out and keep us posted.

Most of the time when people tell me it is the throw-out bearing you only hear the noise in neutral. It goes away when you step on the clutch. I have been ignoring that noise on 3 vehicles over the course of 25+ years and well over 100,000 total miles, with no <knock on wood> catastrophic damage. I still have all the cars.
Old 05 Jun 2019, 12:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Throw out bearing normally makes noise when you push in the clutch as not to be turning with your foot off clutch
If makes noise when in neutral with clutch out (input bearing going bad
chuzz likes this.
Old 05 Jun 2019, 01:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggajb View Post
Throw out bearing normally makes noise when you push in the clutch as not to be turning with your foot off clutch
If makes noise when in neutral with clutch out (input bearing going bad
I guess that is the one I have been ignoring. Define going bad? It's been at least 8 years and 80,000 miles on the PT since it started doing that.
Old 06 Jun 2019, 11:34 am
Cool Cruiser

The sound only happened two times of driving it. I have driven it several miles since, and no weird noises. Whatever it was, I'm hoping it was a fluke.
Old 13 Jun 2019, 09:03 am
Cool Cruiser

The noise was back (quieter this time) after 10 days of being absent. It seemed to go away when I would coast in neutral. After driving it for about 30 minutes and it went away. Is hasn't effected how it shifts or anything when it makes the noise. Guess I will just drive it and if it happens more often and gets louder I will try to get it looked at. After all the money I have put in this thing (and money being tight)...I just want to drive it and not be constantly worried about new crap going wrong.