Advertisements
Battery Reccomendations

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2019, 07:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Battery Reccomendations

Hey guys!

So, over the last two weeks, on two separate occasions, I was driving, came to a light and the battery light came on for about 30 seconds or so, until I started moving again. I did have a heavy electrical load, head lights, fog lights, turn signals, phone charging, radio, wipers, a/c, but in my 3 years with the car, I've never had this happen before this time.

The belt to the alternator is about 2 years and 20,000 miles old and from what I can tell, the alternator is original to the car. Both times, when I saw the light, I immediately turned off everything I could and when the light turned green and I started going, the battery light went off and stayed off till my destination.

So earlier today, I swung by the local AutoZone. They tested the battery and alternator and said the alternator is fine, but the battery is bad. It's about 3 years old, DuraLast brand. Other than this, I've had no issues ever with it and it cranks the engine over with no problem at all. Should I just wait for it to die or replace it before? I don't wanna replace the alternator if I don't have to.

Also, I've heard that there are other battery sizes that can fit in the car. Will they still work and charge OK? I know some people swear by Optima or Odyssey, others swear at them. Any good recommendations?

Thanks guys!
Old 11 Jun 2019, 10:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Battery Reccomendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyverman1123 View Post
Hey guys!

I know some people swear by Optima or Odyssey, others swear at them. Any good recommendations?

Thanks guys!
The only people that swear" (negative comments based on ignorance and little to no basic knowledge of the 12 Volt electrical system)at these are those that do not research and get the one needed for their specific requirements.

You can not go wrong with either one of these. For the PT cruiser I suggest consider the Optima.

As for other batteries I recomend to try to find one that is manufactured from complete NEW materiel's and not recycled from core batteries . You must really do your research to find those that are anymore as it generally is not well known that what you think is a new battery is actually made from recycled batteries.
VsandFords likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 12 Jun 2019, 03:53 am
Cool Cruiser

I got a VARTA two years ago (available outside Europe?). Works great.
Old 12 Jun 2019, 08:24 am
Senior Cruiser

Doesn't the "Duralast" come from Auto Zone with a pretty hefty warranty? They should give you a deal. IMO, they are kind of overpriced. I went to KMart cause they sell Die Hard and got some cheapy for about $56. It's been fine for about 3 years. I think Walmart had a similar one for $46, so I'd go there.

Autozone jacked me for $150 for some tiny battery for my daughter's Civic that could probably barely power my cellphone. Sunday night in the rain about an hour before I am supposed to drive the 3 1/2 hours back to DC, so I didn't have much choice. They closed the KMart in Staten Island and I didn't have the time to drive to Jersey and back for Walmart. The warranty better be pretty good. My wife's 200 has a Mopar 72 month battery from 9/2012 that is just starting to crap out. Must have been a pretty good battery - it would still be fine, but the car has the feature where the lights stay on for 90 seconds whenever you click unlock. I would turn it off, or limit it to 15 seconds, but apparently you need some kind of scan tool to do it if you don't have the EVIC.
Old 12 Jun 2019, 08:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Good warranties for batteries are all fine until you are stuck in a town that does not carry that brand. And another thing read the warranty completely, you may be surprised that that great warranty ain't.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 12 Jun 2019, 09:23 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Good warranties for batteries are all fine until you are stuck in a town that does not carry that brand. And another thing read the warranty completely, you may be surprised that that great warranty ain't.
In my experience, the only thing the warranty amounts to is a discount on the next one. For $50, they are disposable - well, you can't throw them out, just drop them in for the core charge. I can remember in the old days, Sears just giving us a new Die Hard because the 'cuda ate the old one. It was like they did with Craftsman - hand the old one in and get the new one. The guy looked at the sticker and that was it. Those days are long gone.

EDIT: FWIW, I can't imagine we have too many US based posters that are not within close proximity to an AutoZone. I can pass three on my way home from work (5 minute drive) without going more than two blocks out of my way.

Last edited by Fk5; 12 Jun 2019 at 11:11 am.
Old 12 Jun 2019, 10:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Those days are long gone.
Like so many other things........

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 12 Jun 2019, 03:50 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

You might consider the Red Top Optima 34R gel type battery I've installed in SOOO BIG. It's solved every thing in the way of previous battery problems for me and SOOO BIG. Very reliable, perfect fit, stays clean, looks good under the hood and never corroded the terminals. What's not to like?
Happy PTin', ptprice

redtop1.jpgred.jpg
dougs likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 12 Jun 2019 at 04:19 pm.
Old 12 Jun 2019, 05:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

what you describe is an alternator or cable issue. high electrical load, alternator can't keep up, light comes on at low rpm.

did you remove and charge the battery before reinstalling it for them to test? chain store employees aren't the brightest.

if the kid didn't use the retard tester following the instructions, a carbon pile load tester is the best way to see what the issue is. real shops have them. it's antiquated machinery but you turn a dial and it adds load to your system until something either shines or shows it's weak point. my favorite.. but i like old shit.

VsandFords likes this.
Old 12 Jun 2019, 07:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

I run Optima batteries on my vehicles. I like them and have easy access to them, working in a auto parts D/C.

This is on my '01 Limited. It is a dual post 34/78YT (yellow top).

They are pricey and can be out of the price range of some people. I would recommend buying a "name brand" of your choice, in your price range, in your area.

I also agree with Rob, your description of the light coming on while driving and going out when you turn off some accessories, sounds like a charging issue, not the battery.
ptprice and nj318 like this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Last edited by VsandFords; 12 Jun 2019 at 07:04 pm.