Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bought some ebay exhaust for my PT :)

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jun 2019, 12:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Bought some ebay exhaust for my PT :)

I've read some posts where people have added a glass pack in the pipe behind the cat to quiet/mellow the sound.
ShinerJohn likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 17 Jun 2019, 12:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Not a dumb question at all. Any exhaust leak will make it louder. Especially the closer it is to the engine. Fix that leak and see how it sounds first before you swap mufflers.
I hope it quiets down. I will report back after I get the leak fixed.
Fk5 likes this.
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 17 Jun 2019, 12:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
I've read some posts where people have added a glass pack in the pipe behind the cat to quiet/mellow the sound.
Good idea since that pipe is completely straight any way at that point...should be a pretty easy addition.
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 17 Jun 2019, 05:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

I bought one of these a couple of years ago, took it off a month later and gave it to a kid who wanted a noisy car.

My first thoughts were that this appeared to be a quality piece. On the car for just a few days and rusty spots began to appear at the muffler seams. Vendor refunded $25 and we called it good.

I also hoped it wouldn't be as noisy as it was. Some of the initial noise was abated when I replaced the rubber hangers, repositioning the system and straightening it up so (a) it didn't rattle on the frame and (b) allowing a straight exit for the tip.

The thought did cross my mind that some/most of the noise was caused by the thin walls of the connecting pipe. The length of thin stainless, if replaced with a length of mild steel, would probably make a big difference. I say this because the noise inside the car didn't seem to be coming from the outlet but was resonating from the pipe itself.

Anyway, was way too noisy for me, so off it came and the kid with it now couldn't be happier.

My 2 cents.

Bob in Liberty, MO

PS - I remain curious about the Magnaflow OEM MOPAR performance system that occasionally appear on eBay.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 05:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
I would be one of them. However my exhaust is carefully considered and designed for best efficiency without excessive noise.

The exhaust system pictured in this thread is sure to increase sound and lower some aspects of performance on the PT's engine. But some times a bargain deal on a used parts and the sound makes up for the negatives about ther use.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 17 Jun 2019, 07:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

+1 on adding a glasspack just aft of the cat; it'll likely damp some of the harshness out of the exhaust note, and may even add a bit of back pressure (which these engines need). And, like you said, it's a pretty straightforward process. Besides, what do Cherry Bombs run these days, $25? You may end up discovering the perfect inexpensive exhaust mod.
NitroPT and ShinerJohn like this.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 09:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Performance commercially available Cheri Bomb glass pack 2.5 .ID.

YOu don't need to make POWER!!!!!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Jun 2019, 09:16 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I will most likely have a glasspack added. How much quieter are we talking? This thing is so loud (and super low) that it's like riding with a subwoofer blasting constantly, lol
Old 18 Jun 2019, 03:19 pm
Young Cruiser

But on the bright side, maybe you can't hear that occasional 'strange noise' anymore.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 18 Jun 2019, 03:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie1 View Post
But on the bright side, maybe you can't hear that occasional 'strange noise' anymore.
Very true I promise I didn't make up hearing the strange sound, lol