Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bought some ebay exhaust for my PT :)

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jun 2019, 10:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Bought some ebay exhaust for my PT :)

I know what the majority of people say about ebay/cheap exhaust but I saw some reviews on youtube and decided to go through with it. I thought about just changing the muffler out but that would require taking it somewhere to get it welded/mounted. This setup I bought on ebay (DNA motoring brand) was $140 and it comes with the whole setup that I can just bolt on (catback). I have attached a couple pics (the rest of the pipe is in the box). The muffler is pretty much straight though so I would think it would have to be alot less restrictive than the stock muffler on my 07 GT. I hope to get it installed in the next week. One odd thing about the ebay listing...it shows it working through 06 PT's. The really didn't change anything with the exhaust setup in 07 did they?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exhaust_.jpg (69.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg exhaust2_.jpg (59.4 KB, 41 views)
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)

Last edited by shelbyzman; 12 Jun 2019 at 11:15 am.
Old 12 Jun 2019, 02:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Bought some ebay exhaust for my PT :)

Mine attached with a flat flange, not a slip joint. Keep us posted on how it fits.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 08:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Got the exhaust installed. Had a little bit of a hard time getting the old exhaust off as the clamps were rusted etc. The muffler looks good and the fitment was pretty good. A couple issues...I have a slight exhaust leak right after the cat. Chrysler used a little circle weld that is attached to the pipe and the stock pipe had a cutout so it would fit perfect. The pipe I got obviously doesn't have the cutout so the exhaust pipe is few centimeters from where the stock pipe was. I am probably going to put some exhaust cement on it to stop the leak (under the band clamp). Other thing is the muffler comes out at an angle...I kinda like it though . And...this thing is loud! Everywhere I looked people said that the turbo acts as a muffler and it wouldn't be loud (even specifically the exact exhaust I got).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg muffler2.jpg (89.1 KB, 23 views)
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)

Last edited by shelbyzman; 16 Jun 2019 at 08:15 pm.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 07:37 am
Veteran Cruiser

That looks like one of the "fart can" mufflers I see on a lot of the ricers around here. Did it make your quarter mile times faster?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 08:06 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
That looks like one of the "fart can" mufflers I see on a lot of the ricers around here. Did it make your quarter mile times faster?
Really? I thought it looked pretty close to stock.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 08:35 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Thanks so much for the constructive post

I actually like how it looks (ricer or not), just don't like how loud it is. Do mufflers ever quiet down after carbon buildup etc? I have read that sometimes they can get quieter. Who knows though....
Old 17 Jun 2019, 09:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
Thanks so much for the constructive post

I actually like how it looks (ricer or not), just don't like how loud it is. Do mufflers ever quiet down after carbon buildup etc? I have read that sometimes they can get quieter. Who knows though....
In my experience it is usually the opposite. You took that picture straight through. Do you know how much carbon it will take to quiet that down? Why put a new exhaust if that is what you wanted? Just swap mufflers. I doubt it would cost much.

Last edited by Fk5; 17 Jun 2019 at 10:11 am.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 09:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
In my experience it is usually the opposite. You took that picture straight through. Do you know how much carbon it will take to quite that down? Why put a new exhaust if that is what you wanted? Just swap mufflers. I doubt it would cost much.
I wanted something louder than stock, but not "too" loud. Like I said, everywhere I found said it wouldn't be too loud because of the turbo quieting it down some (and youtube videos with the exact exhaust I bought install on a pt saying it wasn't too loud). Also, I don't have a good mechanic / welder close by (which sucks) and I knew I could install this setup myself. I do have another muffler (Dynomax Super Turbo) that I got on ebay (for $10 lol) and will have it installed if I can't stand the noise anymore.

Last edited by shelbyzman; 17 Jun 2019 at 10:06 am.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 11:15 am
Cool Cruiser

I'm going to fix the small exhaust leak in the next day or so....do you think that leak could this be making the exhaust louder too? It's the pipe right off the cat. Pretty sure this may be a dumb question, but could having a k&n intake instead of the stock box cause the exhaust to be louder?

Last edited by shelbyzman; 17 Jun 2019 at 12:07 pm.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 12:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Not a dumb question at all. Any exhaust leak will make it louder. Especially the closer it is to the engine. Fix that leak and see how it sounds first before you swap mufflers.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.