Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to add a glasspack?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jun 2019, 09:36 am
Cool Cruiser

Default How to add a glasspack?

I am planning on adding a glasspack on my pt to quiet down my loud ebay muffler I plan on doing it at home without a welder. I want to make sure I order all the right parts at the same time. If I use clamps...will I need 2.25" or 2.5", since I'm assuming the glasspack pipe is bigger since the exhaust pipe will fit inside it? Also, how much do you think it will quiet down my exhaust? Also, if I get a long glasspack...will it be too heavy and need another hanger added? If so, I may have to take it get done by a welder.
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)

Last edited by shelbyzman; 19 Jun 2019 at 09:56 am.
Old 19 Jun 2019, 10:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: How to add a glasspack?

I would weld it on...in front of the rear wheel..
I have a Flowmaster on mine and the interior drone is rediculous. .

Old 19 Jun 2019, 10:06 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJKnight View Post
I would weld it on...in front of the rear wheel..
I have a Flowmaster on mine and the interior drone is rediculous. .
Are you running a muffler and a glasspack? I sure don't want any drone...that's what I'm trying to get rid of. I really want to do this myself since I don't have anyone close that can work on it.
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)

Last edited by shelbyzman; 19 Jun 2019 at 10:53 am.
Old 19 Jun 2019, 11:46 am
Fanatic Cruiser

No just a Flowmaster 40 I believe...drones bad at cruising speed...
But it's coming off and replacing it with a stock one

Old 19 Jun 2019, 12:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJKnight View Post
No just a Flowmaster 40 I believe...drones bad at cruising speed...
But it's coming off and replacing it with a stock one
I like some rumble but I can't take loud exhaust (low and constant) going down the interstate. Kinda feels like torture, lol
Old 19 Jun 2019, 01:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

QUIETER but still cool Exhaust!

you might try this temporarily...or permanently
Old 19 Jun 2019, 02:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
QUIETER but still cool Exhaust!

you might try this temporarily...or permanently
Nice and creative! I have a glasspack on order but may try something like this until it comes in
Old 19 Jun 2019, 02:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Every system I've ever seen that incorporates a glasspack and a muffler has the glasspack just aft of the engine, and the muffler in the usual position aft of the rear axle. The glasspack acts specifically to damp out high pitched tones, and should help with the droning you're experiencing.
Measure the exhaust pipe where it heads back from the cat- you've got at least 3 or 4 feet of straight tubing there. Pretty sure it should have a 2.25" O.D. If that's the case, just get a glasspack with 2.25" FEMALE fittings on both ends. Measure the length of the glasspack's body (the sausage shaped portion WITHOUT the spigots on either end). Cut that much length from the straight section of your exhaust. Slip the glasspack spigots over either end of the cut exhaust. Support in place (go maybe 1/2" extra high" and clamp securely in place. Remove supports and make sure the glasspack isn't sagging. If you have saggage problems, drive to a muffler shop and have them weld it in place- you'll already have done 90% of the work, so they shouldn't charge much.
Old 19 Jun 2019, 03:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMouse View Post
Every system I've ever seen that incorporates a glasspack and a muffler has the glasspack just aft of the engine, and the muffler in the usual position aft of the rear axle. The glasspack acts specifically to damp out high pitched tones, and should help with the droning you're experiencing.
Measure the exhaust pipe where it heads back from the cat- you've got at least 3 or 4 feet of straight tubing there. Pretty sure it should have a 2.25" O.D. If that's the case, just get a glasspack with 2.25" FEMALE fittings on both ends. Measure the length of the glasspack's body (the sausage shaped portion WITHOUT the spigots on either end). Cut that much length from the straight section of your exhaust. Slip the glasspack spigots over either end of the cut exhaust. Support in place (go maybe 1/2" extra high" and clamp securely in place. Remove supports and make sure the glasspack isn't sagging. If you have saggage problems, drive to a muffler shop and have them weld it in place- you'll already have done 90% of the work, so they shouldn't charge much.
Great info...thanks!