PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Our 2009 PT quit on us. Please help.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fk5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jun 2019, 03:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Our 2009 PT quit on us. Please help.

While driving, yesterday (and sitting at a traffic light) our PT starting a light rumbling noise from the engine compartment. It was a particularly long light and, while waiting for it to change, the rumbling noise proceeded to get louder, and it felt like the engine was really struggling to stay alive. Before the traffic signal decided to change, the PT quit. On the first few attempts to restart it the engine would crank, and turn over, but only for a couple of seconds. That happened for about three or four attempts. subsequent attempts to restart it would allow cranking but, at those times, no more turning over. Consequently, my daughter (who happened to be with me) had to get behind the wheel, with the car put in neutral, while I (and a helpful bystander) pushed the car off the street into a parking lot, as my daughter steered it in.

I'm going to have to join AAA (or roadside service alternative) so as to have the car towed back to our place of residence. But, from what I have described, I wonder if anyone might have an idea as to what that situation might be caused by. This issue has put us in a tough spot, as the PT is our ONLY vehicle, since our mini van went down, last month. Hopefully, correction/repair methods won't be of the deep pocket type.

Advanced thanks.

Nathan
(2009 PT/ non turbo/auto)
Old 20 Jun 2019, 05:40 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Our 2009 PT quit on us. Please help.

Could be...the fan is bad & car overheated. I wouldn't think the timing belt broke because you stated that it cranked over the 1st few times you tried to restart it.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 20 Jun 2019, 07:38 am
Veteran Cruiser

subsequent attempts to restart it would allow cranking but, at those times, no more turning over.

I don't really understand this statement. Cranking and turning over mean the same thing to me. Can you elaborate? I'm inclined to agree with Steve about the overheating, but you don't mention the temp gauge or any steam or white smoke anywhere.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 20 Jun 2019, 12:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First thing I would suggest is to get an OBDII Scan Tool and find out what the codes are otherwise we are guessing what the problem might be.
Old 20 Jun 2019, 02:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
subsequent attempts to restart it would allow cranking but, at those times, no more turning over.

I don't really understand this statement. Cranking and turning over mean the same thing to me. Can you elaborate? I'm inclined to agree with Steve about the overheating, but you don't mention the temp gauge or any steam or white smoke anywhere.
Chuzz, I guess that I had been given the wrong information, before, regarding the meaning of those terms. But let me try to explain.

I'd been put under the impression that 'Cranking' was in reference to the initial starting up stage - where you were trying to engage the engine (i.e, turning the key to the full starting position, and depressing the gas pedal until the engine caught on). And that 'Turning Over' had to do with the engine having caught on - and running. Regarding the Temp gauge, all I can say is that I was so frazzled that I didn't even think of the engine being overheated, or anything like that and (as such) didn't even check the gauges. I DO know, however, that there was no steam, or smoke.

Nathan

Last edited by NLAlston; 20 Jun 2019 at 02:40 pm. Reason: added info.
Old 20 Jun 2019, 02:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
First thing I would suggest is to get an OBDII Scan Tool and find out what the codes are otherwise we are guessing what the problem might be.
Steve, I do happen to have an OBD2&1 scanner, by SEEKONE, that I had bought when a daughter of ours was sold a flawed, used vehicle. This scanner found seven codes, and we took it to a Jeep dealer (vehicle is a Jeep Commander), who did a diagnostic testing on it, and who found 30+ codes - which would translate into over $9000 in repair costs. Consequently, I lost confidence in my little scanner. But, once the PT is back here, I'll give it a shot, anyway.

Nathan
Old 20 Jun 2019, 03:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Good Lord, 30+ codes? Do you happen to have that list so you could share it? I'm NOT an ASE Certified Mechanic, and would never claim to know as much as those guys, but I've been pulling my own wrenches for over 45 years on my own cars and other mechanical equipment I own. To me, turning over and cranking are the same thing. Once it's started, it's running. I'll try to help if I can.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 20 Jun 2019, 04:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

This is where I would suggest the key dance. I would have done it as soon as the car was safely on the side of the road. Use your scanner and compare what you get.

It could be the timing belt - first slipped then broke or way too far out. Does it spin faster than normal?

Are you sure it is getting fuel? I have heard of cars running out of gas at unusual times. <cough, cough> Is the fuel pump priming? Do you hear it buzz when you turn the key to "on."

Check the fluids. Is there oil? Does it smell burnt? Is there coolant?

Doesn't sound like it would be the battery, but are the connections tight?
MJKnight likes this.