PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
DIY Lip Kit

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jun 2019, 12:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default DIY Lip Kit

How do you think something like this would look on my 07 black GT? I know there will be some haters out there, lol. I may end up doing this to the front clip and side skirts....thoughts?
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)

Last edited by shelbyzman; 24 Jun 2019 at 01:23 pm.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 03:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: DIY Lip Kit

Did something similar to my Olds 15 years ago. Used downspouts for the side skirts. Still looks good. It even improved gas mileage a little. Only one problem I can see. Is the bottom of Cruiser bumper flat?

Old 24 Jun 2019, 03:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by circus View Post
Did something similar to my Olds 15 years ago. Used downspouts for the side skirts. Still looks good. It even improved gas mileage a little. Only one problem I can see. Is the bottom of Cruiser bumper flat?

That looks good...nice job! Yeah...not sure how it would look with it going straight down from the bumper.
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 26 Jun 2019, 02:54 am
Young Cruiser

If you are decided to make one, post some pictures. Goodluck.
Old 27 Jun 2019, 11:39 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyle View Post
If you are decided to make one, post some pictures. Goodluck.
Will do. Not sure if I'm going to do it or not. My latest project was to black out my car with plasti dip. Got the wheels and door handles. Need to do the antenna next
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt____.jpg (91.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 27 Jun 2019, 12:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
Will do. Not sure if I'm going to do it or not. My latest project was to black out my car with plasti dip. Got the wheels and door handles. Need to do the antenna next

I was going to do my door handles also, but I read that it dosen't hold up well & is a PITA.
I have done all the emblems though.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 27 Jun 2019, 12:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
I was going to do my door handles also, but I read that it dosen't hold up well & is a PITA.
I have done all the emblems though.
I guess we will see how long it will last. It was pretty easy to apply though and I didn't have to sand anything down. So, if I want to remove it or it starts coming off, it won't be a big deal. The over-spray was pretty easy to peel off.
Old 27 Jun 2019, 03:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

I painted the antenna on my Ranchero with spray paint. Sanded it with 220 grit and cleaned it with wax and grease remover. It was off of the vehicle at the time.

I also painted the chrome door handles. Scuffed and sanded them with 80 grit, sprayed them with 2 part epoxy primer, using a spray gun, then sprayed with epoxy appliance spray paint from ACE hardware. Dropped my test handle on the concrete and only had a small blemish. I guess I will find out what long term will bring.

What i have seen with the spray plasti-dip is that it needs to be stripped and repainted every 6 to 8 months. It starts to fade and look bad.

My opinion.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 28 Jun 2019, 01:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
I painted the antenna on my Ranchero with spray paint. Sanded it with 220 grit and cleaned it with wax and grease remover. It was off of the vehicle at the time.

I also painted the chrome door handles. Scuffed and sanded them with 80 grit, sprayed them with 2 part epoxy primer, using a spray gun, then sprayed with epoxy appliance spray paint from ACE hardware. Dropped my test handle on the concrete and only had a small blemish. I guess I will find out what long term will bring.

What i have seen with the spray plasti-dip is that it needs to be stripped and repainted every 6 to 8 months. It starts to fade and look bad.

My opinion.
I haven't ever used plasti dip until now. I kinda thought it may not last very long. Figured I would give it a shot and at least see how my car would look blacked out. If it comes off the wheels, I will probably sand/paint them correctly. The door handles and other chrome pieces will probably just go back to being chrome.
Old 28 Jun 2019, 01:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Black like red just never does well for long exposer to the environments, mostly the sun.

I have tried plastic dip a few times and personally and never like the final result. It just look to cheap..... At least with rattle can you can wet sand and clear cost then seal it to last a few years looking sharp!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN