2005 Front Bearing/Hub change

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fk5
  • 1 Post By vinnie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2019, 12:56 pm
Young Cruiser

Default 2005 Front Bearing/Hub change

I recently picked up a 2005 PT Cruiser limited Edition Convertible that someone was going to sell to a scrap yard. They said it needed more work than it was worth. It looked it pretty good condition, beside needing TLC. So I got it for next to nothing. It did need a major cleaning and lots of things got fixed. I have a couple of parts cars, so no big deal to fix everything. Just my time.
I replaced the two front wheel hub assemblies, and now the wheels are majorly wonky. When you drive forward the tires are trying to pull of the outer side of the rim at the road. And going backwards, they pull it like they want to pull off the inside of the rim. I think thats called the toe-out?
I used a pair from a base model 2005 PT. It drove well when it was parked for parts. I thought they were the same, but maybe they arent, or after doing this you need to get a wheel alignment on any car.
I didnt adjust anything on the suspension or steering, I just exchanged them directly. The toe out is so bad you can see it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 02:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 Front Bearing/Hub change

Not an expert, but I've done some suspension work.

When you say "wheel hub assemblies", that's the bearing and hub with studs, did it also include the steering knuckle?

I think those parts would be the same in a given model year, but I can't check it.

What you describe sounds like severe toe out. With such noticeable toe out, I'd double check the assembly / fit / seating of the components.

Any time you remove / replace components that affect alignment, the alignment should be checked. Even removing and replacing the same component can change the alignment.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 02:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

The reason I ask about the steering knuckle is that's the only thing I could see affecting the toe so radically. I don't see how replacing the hub and bearing would affect the toe. The steering knuckle connects to the tie rods. If the holes for the tie rods were positioned a little differently in the steering knuckles (manufacturing tolerance?) it could affect the toe.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 05:57 pm
Young Cruiser

Yes its the whole knuckle. I thought the same. Maybe the holes are drilled in not so exact places on the arm. I figured it may need an alignment, but didnt think it would be that far out. Thats why I was wondering if there are different ones for the sedans, and the convertibles? Maybe Ill call one of the auto parts places tomorrow, and see.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 06:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: 2005 Front Bearing/Hub change

is one an automatic and the other a manual transmission? I recall reading about differences in the knuckles between the two. I know the steering racks are different. The transmissions are different widths and the tire can hit the side of the case on full lock if the two are mixed up.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 29 Jul 2019, 07:44 am
Regular Cruiser

I've successfully used this flimsy $100sh alignment gauge for many years after front end work. The hardest part is getting under the car, while the weight is on the wheels, rolling forward and backward. I use a ramp made of several 10 ft 2X6's screwed together.
Old 29 Jul 2019, 08:05 am
Senior Cruiser

Could this be the issue?

GT Steering knuckle differences
RickinPA likes this.
Old 29 Jul 2019, 01:26 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
is one an automatic and the other a manual transmission? I recall reading about differences in the knuckles between the two. I know the steering racks are different. The transmissions are different widths and the tire can hit the side of the case on full lock if the two are mixed up.
The ones I put in were from a standard model, and they went into an automatic. Is this the problem??
Old 29 Jul 2019, 01:35 pm
Young Cruiser

Just found the old post with a picture that shows 3 different hole positions for the steering knuckle, depending on which model you have. I guess that is the problem!!
chuzz likes this.