PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cutting down shifter (5-speed)

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jul 2019, 08:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Cutting down shifter (5-speed)

I have been looking at short throw shifters for my 5 speed gt and have entertained the thought of just hack-sawing a couple inches of the stock shifter.....what do you guys think? Is this doable? Seems like the stock shifter is kind of a long throw.
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 29 Jul 2019, 10:53 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Cutting down shifter (5-speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
I have been looking at short throw shifters for my 5 speed gt and have entertained the thought of just hack-sawing a couple inches of the stock shifter.....what do you guys think? Is this doable? Seems like the stock shifter is kind of a long throw.
The only short throw shifter kit I'm familiar with was one I put in the original SOO BIG. A high performance '66 Baha Bug VW. Ran like a scalded dog. My only mistake was putting in that short throw shifter kit.
I had to have one. It was the technology of the mid 70's of course. I looked one up while I was typing this. Amazingly,they're still available for about what I paid for one in the 70's. $6.34 from Parts Geeks. Must be a shelf item that doesn't move much anymore. 24115-05877299-0C3QP20P.jpg A testimony to the wow factor!
It looked real neat and the throw was much shorter, but in the final analysis, all it did was change the pivot point, or fulcrum of the shifter. It definitely was a much shorter throw. WOW. And it looked real neat.
But with the shorter, fancy shifter, it made for a much harder shift. I took it out the same week I put it in. So much for neat.
Same with sawing off some of your shifter. It will be shorter but with your existing fulcrum it'll be a much harder shift.
Maybe with a little ingenuity you could fabricate a spacer similar to the VW kit out of a thick piece of nylon stock to mount under your shifter plate with some accommodating longer bolts?.
I'm not familiar with the PT standard shifter. I think it's all a question of simple geometry. Move the fulcrum, cut the stick, what ever, shorten the throw, and increase the resistance through that shorter shift throw. It might be great exercise though. A great way to build up the strength of your shifting arm.
Happy PTin', tprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 30 Jul 2019 at 08:06 am.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 07:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Forum member, Myckee has done this using an aftermarket mechanism. He ended up with a something that shifts very fast. You might contact him by PM. He's one sharp cookie.
chuzz likes this.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 08:29 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the info....if I went that route, I wouldn't cut off too much
ptprice likes this.
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 30 Jul 2019, 08:36 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for the info....if I went that route, I wouldn't cut off too much
Short enough?
short.jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 08:53 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Short enough?
Attachment 30715
lol, that's crazy
Old 30 Jul 2019, 08:58 am
Cool Cruiser

Found this but not sure how hard it would be to change and if it would work on my 07 GT.....https://www.amazon.com/OBX-Short-Shi...gateway&sr=8-2
Old 30 Jul 2019, 10:48 am
Veteran Cruiser

if it were me i'd just cut off where the cable attaches and move it farther from the fulcrum to shorten the throws. free and easy if you like melting metal

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...tml#post697355
Old 30 Jul 2019, 12:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

I think maddog is the guy that makes the one most of these guys use. I'm not sure what hacksawing it off is going to do. You want to move the pivot point. I'd actually like my handle to be a little bit higher so that it reaches my hand when I use the armrest.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 01:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
I hear you about the height...not sure why they didn't "build" the shifter up higher. I think maddog is the guy that makes the one most of these guys use. I'm not sure what hacksawing it off is going to do. You want to move the pivot point. I'd actually like my handle to be a little bit higher so that it reaches my hand when I use the armrest.
I hear you about the height...not sure why they didn't "build" the shifter up higher. I found this one but I don't know if it is any good. https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Perform...c52a0c6bad79b7

Last edited by shelbyzman; 30 Jul 2019 at 01:23 pm.