Advertisements
Water leaking on passenger side

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By myckee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2019, 11:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Water leaking on passenger side

I recently moved to Florida and have had a recurring issue with water somehow getting into the front passenger side following heavy rain. Sure its water and not coolant I didn't have this issue in NY but I suspect the amount of rain is having an impact.

Having read previous threads, I had the ac hose cleaned out with compressed air twice. I also had the bottom portion of the fender liners removed and the drain holes cleaned out. I also had the drain holes that sit under the hood flushed to cover my bases. Lastly I had the cabin air filter housing removed and checked to see if water had accumulated there and found that it had not. Thought i had covered my bases but

we just had major rain and there is another major puddle in the car, interestingly the front part of the carpet that goes upwards towards the front of the car is dry and the puddle is in the center of the passenger space. I sat in the rain for two hours and can't see any water coming in from anywhere.

Anyone have any suggestions on anything else I can check as I am stumped at this point?
Old 02 Aug 2019, 11:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Water leaking on passenger side

Automatic car wash. Jump in the passenger seat and start looking for water.
Old 02 Aug 2019, 11:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Just read your post again..do you only find water if you drive in the rain or have you found water in both situations (stationary)? If you are finding it in both situations, I'd say you got a leak from above. If you are only finding water after driving in the rain (not when parkeded over night while raining), check the fire wall or maybe door seals? Smoke over the rest of the inside to make sure you don't have a leak elsewhere that happens to be pooling in area away from the source. Only other idea I have is phone a friend and start hosing it down while one of yas crawls around on the inside, hunting.
Old 03 Aug 2019, 04:15 am
Senior Cruiser

It is a somewhat common problem for the sunroof to be the source of the leak. One or more of the drain tubes becomes plugged, and the water overflows the drip tray, onto the plasticized roof liner, down the inside windshield plastic pillar cover, to the plastic below, and finally, onto the carpet. Pull your pillar plastic off and get someone to hose the roof of the car for a few minutes to see if the water is coming from the roof liner. If so, your sunroof drains are plugged.
Handy_Cruiser and chuzz like this.
Old 03 Aug 2019, 07:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
It is a somewhat common problem for the sunroof to be the source of the leak. One or more of the drain tubes becomes plugged, and the water overflows the drip tray, onto the plasticized roof liner, down the inside windshield plastic pillar cover, to the plastic below, and finally, onto the carpet. Pull your pillar plastic off and get someone to hose the roof of the car for a few minutes to see if the water is coming from the roof liner. If so, your sunroof drains are plugged.
No sunroof on the car but sat in the car for 3 hours while raining and it seems to be coming in through around the area on the side of the car interior near where the interior plastic trim is underneath the door. Gonna pull of the plastic trims and remove the carpet to see if i can locate exactly where the leak is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
Just read your post again..do you only find water if you drive in the rain or have you found water in both situations (stationary)? If you are finding it in both situations, I'd say you got a leak from above. If you are only finding water after driving in the rain (not when parkeded over night while raining), check the fire wall or maybe door seals? Smoke over the rest of the inside to make sure you don't have a leak elsewhere that happens to be pooling in area away from the source. Only other idea I have is phone a friend and start hosing it down while one of yas crawls around on the inside, hunting.
Seems issue is when the car is stationary, unfortunately it's not instant. Water shows up a few hours after the rain passes.

I've sat in the car in the rain with no water coming through, it's only several hours later that the carpet is soaked and a small puddle is formed.

Mechanic suggested sending the PT to the junkyard as he thinks fixing this leak is going to be costly but I want to try and figure it out. Doesn't make sense in my book to get rid of a car with only 80k miles
Old 04 Aug 2019, 05:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Ah I see. Well it could be that the windshield seal is leaking. That's a problem more seen in the LX series of cars but it could be the issue with yours; either from the factory, or by a sloppy replacement job.
Old 04 Aug 2019, 08:22 am
Dedicated Cruiser

SOOO BIG had a water leak on the floor in front pf the passenger seat during heavy rains. It came from the right front quarter between the fender well and door jamb, caused by of an accumulation of leaves and dead insects in that drain area. Ya have to remove the liner and clean it out. Completely. That stop the leak. It's supposed to be a drain area. If it back up it overflows.
You mentioned your drain areas were "cleaned out" I'd check again. Maybe they missed something.
Another place to check is poor after market windshield installation. The slighted fault in the seal can cause a leak. There was a small leak when SOOO BIG's windshield was replaced. I drove back to the shop and they reinstalled it. No leaks the second time around,

What prompted me to check the PT drain areas as a source of the leak was a previous experience I has with a Corvair Van I restored. It's a great story.

I bought a project '64 Corvair Greenbriar Mini Van ( the very first true 9 passenger Mini-Van) for peanuts because it didn't have an engine and leaked during any rain. Experts had checked it out, on the clock, top to bottom and told him to junk it. They couldn't find the leak so the guy just gave up, sold the engine and parked it along side his house. Selling off parts.

I had to bring some rims and tires and put 'em on, he'd already put it up on blocks. With every thing copacetic, I towed it to my garage.
After my complete, slow careful search, (took a few days) I discovered it was drain blockage.The "leak" was caused by an old bee hive in the drainage passage above the right door jamb. Rain couldn't flow through the hive.The bees'd moved on to greener pastures, but left the vestiges of their hive. It was impossible to flush it all out, that old hive was so big. I'd have to cut that area out and replace it. So I searched for another solution. A Corvair friend of mine, 'cross state, had a farm field full of old Corvairs. He said he had a van.

"Come on over, I've got an old dented Greenbriar back there in the yard, close to the barn, my pigs live in it. It's OK around the right door jamb. No leaks, just dents. It has what you need. If you can cut it off, and the pigs don't mind, your welcome to it."

I didn't have a cutting torch but I did the next best thing. I ask him the distance logistics from the nearest electric outlet to the pig van.

"Well he said, there's some outlets in the barn. Some where's near a 100 feet 'cross the yard."

I took a circular saw with an old blade reversed and 150 feet of extension cords to cut it out. It made a great metal saw with a "disposable blade."

The pigs were out in their mud hole for the day. So except for the smell and the pig poop I was home free. And what made it easy was, the Greenbriar still had the dirty, torn remains of it's old front seats to sit on while I was sawing out the top of the door jamb.

"Whadayawant for those two front seats?" I asked.
"Well, take 'em out if you can." He said. You can have 'em. That'll give the pigs more room. Thanks."

So it was a two fer, plus pigs and poop. I got the upper door jamb I needed, cut out to re-weld in place on my Greenbriar, some new pig friends and a set of rare front original "front bucket seats" for my Greenbriar. Along with about 5 pounds of pig poop.

I'd recommend checking all the front PT drain passages for blockage again, yourself. There's those behind the front wheel well liners. There's also drain areas under the plastic cover, visible in front of the bottom of the windshield. Squirrels like to hide thing in there.Ya gotta take the wipers off to get it out. Let me know if you find where the leak's coming from. It still might be a drain area that's blocked. Don't give up, it's hard to find all that crap in there some times. Hope that helps. Happy PTin', ptprice

Cookie Corvair .jpgCookie Corvair seats.jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 05 Aug 2019 at 06:55 pm.