PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
May have figured out what my ticking sound is

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Aug 2019, 10:47 am
Cool Cruiser

Default May have figured out what my ticking sound is

Some of you probably remember me mentioning a ticking sound my pt has been making. After some thinking and research...I'm pretty sure it is an exhaust leak (exhaust manifold). The ticking goes away completely after about 10 minutes of driving. From videos I have watched, the sound is similar to those of an exhaust leak. I may have caused this issue when I added my cat back exhaust. I had to pull on the stock pipe pretty hard to get it to break loose and that may have messed something up. How hard is it to access the exhaust manifold? I haven't ever really looked at it while under my car.
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 05 Aug 2019, 11:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: May have figured out what my ticking sound is

On a 2003 PT GT, there a fairly high probability that your exhaust manifold is cracked.

NitroPT likes this.
Old 05 Aug 2019, 11:43 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
On a 2003 PT GT, there a fairly high probability that your exhaust manifold is cracked.

Not good to hear...it's an 07, but I'm sure that doesn't make a difference does it? How hard are they to change? Also, where is the best place to get an affordable replacement if it is what is wrong?
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)

Last edited by shelbyzman; 05 Aug 2019 at 11:57 am.
Old 05 Aug 2019, 11:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That is a "nice" picture Handy posted but if you are hearing an exhaust leak noise it would be a gasket or crack externally in the exhaust manifold or pipe. That manifold pictured the crack has an internal crack that may effect the total boost a Turbo generates.

I might add that the pictures is from a "ported" Turbo exhaust manifold so if you ever look at yours it will look smaller in the area of the crack and port.

And to add it is likely IMPOSSIBLE to find a used Turbo manifold any year that does not have one or more cracks internally.

If you consider fixing them it will be expensive and you must find someone with experience repairing exhaust manifold with a considerably higher high nickel content and can heat the complete manifold to do the repair. A simple weld normally done on cast exhaust manifold will not hold.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 05 Aug 2019 at 12:05 pm.
Old 05 Aug 2019, 12:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
That is a "nice" picture Handy posted but if you are hearing an exhaust leak noise it would be a gasket or crack externally in the exhaust manifold or pipe. That manifold pictured the crack has an internal crack that may effect the total boost a Turbo generates.

I might add that the pictures is from a "ported" Turbo exhaust manifold so if you ever look at yours it will look smaller in the area of the crack and port.

And to add it is likely IMPOSSIBLE to find a used Turbo manifold any year that does not have one or more cracks internally.

If you consider fixing them it will be expensive and you must find someone with experience repairing exhaust manifold with a considerably higher high nickel content and can heat the complete manifold to do the repair. A simple weld normally done on cast exhaust manifold will not hold.
I'm hoping it's just a gasket or something. What would happen if I don't get it fixed asap? Is there any other damage it could cause?
When I "pulled" on the old exhaust pipe to remove it could that have messed it up or caused a external crack?

Last edited by shelbyzman; 05 Aug 2019 at 12:16 pm.
Old 05 Aug 2019, 12:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
I'm hoping it's just a gasket or something. What would happen if I don't get it fixed asap? Is there any other damage it could cause?
Most exhaust leaks are the gasket. Hot exhaust gases will leak and eventually will burn out more of the gasket increasing the noise and smell.

Aside from that I would hate to speculate all the other possibilities that may happen with an exhaust leak. Because it is resent and what you said makes sence that you simply damaged the gasket....fix it and move on.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 05 Aug 2019, 12:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Most exhaust leaks are the gasket. Hot exhaust gases will leak and eventually will burn out more of the gasket increasing the noise and smell.

Aside from that I would hate to speculate all the other possibilities that may happen with an exhaust leak. Because it is resent and what you said makes sence that you simply damaged the gasket....fix it and move on.
Thanks for the info....hope that is all that is wrong!
Old 05 Aug 2019, 12:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep, that was Nitro's photo. His grinding on it didn't likely cause that crack. It's a pretty common thing to happen both internally and externally.

The good news is that you will have to remove the exhaust manifold to change the gasket. So the point is to inspect the manifold closely for cracks while it's off.

A good welder can likely repair it if it is cracked. Many will do it with brass after grinding it out and possibly drilling the ends. I've done a lot of them on old trucks and equipment. Cracks seemed to be the rule rather than the exception on some exhaust manifolds.
Old 05 Aug 2019, 12:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Yep, that was Nitro's photo. His grinding on it didn't likely cause that crack. It's a pretty common thing to happen both internally and externally.

The good news is that you will have to remove the exhaust manifold to change the gasket. So the point is to inspect the manifold closely for cracks while it's off.

A good welder can likely repair it if it is cracked. Many will do it with brass after grinding it out and possibly drilling the ends. I've done a lot of them on old trucks and equipment. Cracks seemed to be the rule rather than the exception on some exhaust manifolds.
I did a search on the forum for removal of the exhaust manifold but couldn't find the info on it....is it different for n/a and turbos? Difficult or easy job? The pt is my only transportation to work etc, so I can't be down a car
Old 05 Aug 2019, 12:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Before you get carried away with pulling the exhaust manifold I would first confirm if you did in fact damage the gasket and which one. It is a lot of work if you find you miss diagnosed the noise.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN