PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to change the muffler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Aug 2019, 11:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default How to change the muffler

Hi all,
Have a 2002 pt cruiser. The stock muffler and pipes lasted 15 years and had new pipes and muffler put on 2 years ago. Now the muffler only is rotted out so i need to replace. Never changed a muffler so wondering how the actual muffler attaches to the pipe coming from front. Is there a clamp or is it welded. How would you go about this. Thx
Old 10 Aug 2019, 05:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: How to change the muffler

I've replaced the intermediate pipe a number of times on my '01. The muffler has a short pipe that hooks over the rear suspension axle.

The joint between the muffler and the intermediate pipe uses sort of a band clamp that has less tendency to distort the pipe, so if you're lucky the pipes slip apart with a little force. The hardware on the band clamp could be corroded and that could be a problem.

The intermediate pipe is what I've had rot away on a few occasions. The joint between the intermediate pipe and catalytic converter uses a more typical exhaust clamp. This type of joint has more tendency to distort and be difficult to separate. Fortunately, the intermediate pipe slips over the catalytic converter pipe. It's possible to carefully cut the intermediate pipe and pry it off the catalytic converter pipe.

The hangers are rubber "donuts" that press-fit over headed pins. It can take a bit of force to get the hangers off the pins, you have to pry them off.

Exhaust work is some of the nastier mechanical work, but if you decide to give it a go, good luck.

Last edited by RickinPA; 10 Aug 2019 at 05:28 pm.
Old 10 Aug 2019, 08:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thx for the detailed info. Probably give it a shot
Old 12 Aug 2019, 07:23 am
Veteran Cruiser

Be sure to wear eye protection. Rust and dirt are NOT your friends. They're the optometrist and ophthalmologists friends and enemies of your check book.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.