auto salvage yard thoughts

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By RickinPA
  • 2 Post By RickinPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2019, 05:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default auto salvage yard thoughts

Off to some auto salvage yards tomorrow. I have a short shopping list, the trip is mostly just exploring to see what's there.

Researching things, I found a good way to judge salvage yards. The web sites always say "Big Selection", um, yeah right. If you're lucky, they have an inventory, which is good. I found the Google Maps satelite view is a good way to get a bird's eye view on salvage yards. You won't see the specific models, but get a good idea of the volume of cars in the yard. More cars, more potential PTs.

In eastern PA, I've found Harry's U-Pull-It to have a couple of good salvage yards.

The Pennsburg PA location is fair, with ~10 PTs:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/25...8!10m2!1e3!2e1

The Hazelton PA location is very good, with ~30 PTs:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...!4d-76.0123498

Also with an overhead picture of the yard, maybe the staff can point you in the right direction for Chryslers / PT Cruisers. I'll find out tomorrow.

The yards I'm going to tomorrow are on the smaller side, but we'll see what's there. Anyway, just thought I'd share the thought, with some examples.

Last edited by RickinPA; 11 Aug 2019 at 05:58 pm.
Old 11 Aug 2019, 06:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: auto salvage yard thoughts

What did you find?
Old 11 Aug 2019, 08:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Pic 'N 'Pull in OKCity gives you a map, and sign on general models grouping in the yard.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 12 Aug 2019, 06:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggajb View Post
What did you find?
Just spare parts.

A multifunction switch that looks in good shape. The markings on the switch have little to no wear. It includes the windshield wiper switch.

An ignition switch. There's a pot metal part between the lock cylinder and the switch that I understand has some tendency to break. If it breaks, you turn the key but get zero response, no lights, no starter, no nothing. In a pinch, I could take the column cover off, switch the ignition switch connector to the spare switch, insert a key for the anti-theft system to read, and start and run the car with a screwdriver in the spare switch.

I tend to worry about things. If I have a plan, I can stop worrying about, well at least that thing.

A center high mount brake light assembly. I've had to re-lamp mine a couple of times. The total wattage in them is surprisingly high (stock lamp #921, 18W x3 = 54W). Both times I re-lamped my assembly, the bulbs were showing heat damage and I'm worried about heat damaging the sockets in the assembly. So I wanted to have a spare on-hand.

And some rubber vacuum elbows.

Mostly it was a morning out. The one yard had some peculiar stuff including; an early model Corvair, a late model Corvair, a Vega, and a 1951 Mayflower built in England by the Standard Motor Company (the hand starting crank sticking out the front caught my eye, no engine). They were all pretty much gutted and rusting away. I got the Cruser parts at the other yard I visited.
rcktpwrd and VsandFords like this.
Old 12 Aug 2019, 08:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinPA View Post
... and a 1951 Mayflower built in England by the Standard Motor Company (the hand starting crank sticking out the front caught my eye, no engine).
That Mayflower is quite the oddball. Conceived as a sort of compact luxury car, it combined Rolls Royce or Bentley styling with Morris Minor size. It had a rip-roaring 1,247cc side valve I-4 engine that cranked out a whopping 38 horsepower, while delivering 23.6 mpg. Performance was a staggering zero-to-fifty (not 60, 50) mph in 26.6 seconds, with the top speed a blazing 62.9 mph. The car was designed with the U.S. market in mind (they figured Americans would appreciate the combination of luxury and economy), but it never caught on on this side of the pond. Sold from mid-1950 to 1953, approximately 35,000 were produced. Some people pine for "the good old days", but if crap performance AND gas mileage in a clumsily-styled, undersized package was part of the picture, I say good riddance.
Old 12 Aug 2019, 09:32 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinPA View Post
Off to some auto salvage yards tomorrow. I have a short shopping list, the trip is mostly just exploring to see what's there.

Researching things, I found a good way to judge salvage yards. The web sites always say "Big Selection", um, yeah right. If you're lucky, they have an inventory, which is good. I found the Google Maps satelite view is a good way to get a bird's eye view on salvage yards. You won't see the specific models, but get a good idea of the volume of cars in the yard. More cars, more potential PTs.

In eastern PA, I've found Harry's U-Pull-It to have a couple of good salvage yards.

The Pennsburg PA location is fair, with ~10 PTs:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/25...8!10m2!1e3!2e1

The Hazelton PA location is very good, with ~30 PTs:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...!4d-76.0123498

Also with an overhead picture of the yard, maybe the staff can point you in the right direction for Chryslers / PT Cruisers. I'll find out tomorrow.

The yards I'm going to tomorrow are on the smaller side, but we'll see what's there. Anyway, just thought I'd share the thought, with some examples.
As a teenager I used to haunt that West Hazleton yard. That would have been back when it was owned by the Kress Brothers. Of course it wasn't called a high highfalutin name like "salvage" back then. It was Kress's Junk Yard. That would've been 62 years ago. I was raised in Hazleton and my brother Scott still lives in Sugarloaf Valley just down 93 from West Hazleton. Lotsa great a memories from back then. I've got some tales to tell, but it's too late tonight for reminiscing.
Thanks for the memory's. Happy PTin', ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 07:38 am
Senior Cruiser

I actually have been to Harry's U Pull it and the Kress yard many, many, times. The last time was about 15 years ago. My brother and I 'discovered' that yard in the early 90's. We lived in Nova Scotia then but would often visit my aunt living just outside of Scranton. It was then that we saw that yard driving by on the highway as there sign is a giant spike impaling a stack of 5 cars. From then we would make a yearly pilgrimage there to buy parts for our cars. I have (still) a 1980 firebird, and back then they had tons of those and camaros in Harrys. My brother had a 77 Mercury Comet and he would find several of those cars including Mavericks there too.

The last time I went there, about 15 years ago, we camped at Locust Lake campground and visited all of the Harry's yards. Up until about 10 years ago, U-pull yards here in Canada were non existent.

There was another yard called DeNaples? in the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area we used to go too. They had the whole side of a mountain littered with cars back then and we got passes to go explore, as it wasn't really open to the general public. I believe since then they have cleaned up the area and all those cars are gone.