PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Manual Trans Shifter Bushings

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Aug 2019, 12:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Manual Trans Shifter Bushings

I'm sure this is probably a dumb question, but is there a way of changing the shifter bushings (not the ones under the hood) without removing the center console? Or, in other words...just removing the shifter boot to give access to the bushings? Not really looking forward to removing the whole console, lol
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 12 Aug 2019, 12:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Manual Trans Shifter Bushings

not that I have seen. Only way is to pretty much remove the console... it's a PITA for sure!

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 12 Aug 2019, 01:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Manual Trans Shifter Bushings

Pretty sure you have to remove the console. I don't think you have to raise it too high, so I don't think it is that big a deal. I took my seats out. The seats are a breeze. 4 bolts. No big whoop. My booger bushing just came in the mail, from Modern Performance via Walmart. My interior bushings are fine, but underhood are basically gone.
Old 12 Aug 2019, 01:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

I am getting a little bit of noise (squeak) right at the shifter and it has some play. I recently replaced on of the bushings in the engine bay but it wasn't a booger bushing. I will probably just change all 4 of them out when i get a chance. I'm pretty sure I saw a youtube video where they just put their seats all the way back and were able to bypass taking the seats out.
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 12 Aug 2019, 01:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
I am getting a little bit of noise (squeak) right at the shifter and it has some play. I recently replaced on of the bushings in the engine bay but it wasn't a booger bushing. I will probably just change all 4 of them out when i get a chance. I'm pretty sure I saw a youtube video where they just put their seats all the way back and were able to bypass taking the seats out.
I needed them out for other reasons (parking brake cables), but the seats are only 4 bolts and two electrical clips. Nothing to it.

Last edited by Fk5; 12 Aug 2019 at 02:20 pm.
Old 12 Aug 2019, 03:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
I needed them out for other reasons (parking brake cables), but the seats are only 4 bolts and two electrical clips. Nothing to it.
Good to know
Old 13 Aug 2019, 07:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

I removed my armrest and the bolts they sit on the remove the center console. My bushing was rotted away.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 07:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by loomex View Post
I removed my armrest and the bolts they sit on the remove the center console. My bushing was rotted away.
Interesting. The ones inside my car, on the shifter, look brand new. The ones under the hood? I'm not really sure what they look like. There are no bushings left.
rob302 likes this.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 09:19 am
Cool Cruiser

I changed out both of the bushings under the hood and still have quite a bit of play (forward and back). I plan on changing out the ones at the shifter before too long. One of them may be rotted out, who knows.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 09:04 am
Cool Cruiser

I was able to lift up the console enough to do the job. Removed the screws from the cup holder and inside the armrest, reclined the seats, unplugged the rear window controls and cigarette lighter. It gave me enough room to get the job done and didn't have to remove the whole console, seats or shifter knob I will give a report once I have driven it some, but with it not running, I can already tell there is going to be alot less play! Anyone have any issues with the booger bushings popping off? I have recently read about a couple people having that issue. You think it was installed wrong or could it have been product failure?
rcktpwrd and Fk5 like this.

Last edited by shelbyzman; 15 Aug 2019 at 10:57 am.