PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'08 Horn Problem

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Sep 2019, 08:15 pm
Young Cruiser

Default '08 Horn Problem

I have searched the archives back 10 years and found nothing that pertains to the problem I'm having with my '08. The horn inadvertently blows for no reason and only works sometimes when you depress the horn pad. Apparently there is no fuse for the horn and I have searched both here and the internet for the location of the relay with absolutely no luck. Can anyone tell me where the relay is located or how you were able to diagnose this problem with an '08?
Thanks ...
Old 24 Sep 2019, 07:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '08 Horn Problem

While I'm not a mechanic, I would think you've got a bad connection inside the steering wheel. Be careful to disconnect the battery for at least 30 minutes before messing with it, if you're that inclined. You have an airbag that could deploy if you don't give the capacitor long enough to discharge. Then the clock spring is what I'd be looking at. Here is some information I found by doing a Google search.

1. Check fuse 23 in the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module). 1. Replace fuse if inoperative.

2. No voltage at horn relay terminals 62 AND 66 and fuse is ok. 2. No voltage, repair TIPM as necessary.

3. Open circuit from terminal 65 of the relay to horn switch x3 circuit. 3. Repair circuit as necessary.

4. Inoperative or damaged horn. 4. Voltage at horn when horn switch is pressed, replace horn.

5. Inoperative horn switch. 5. Replace the horn switch.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Last edited by chuzz; 24 Sep 2019 at 07:54 am.
Old 24 Sep 2019, 07:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I did a search and found this post from 2010 here on the forum. So, it KIND OF backs up my idea of the clock spring. Proceed with caution.

06 and up the horn is controlled directly by the TIPM, there is no horn relay in these models. In the diagnostics in the service manual, it states that you should see DTC's from the TIPM if you've got a bad horn or circuit.

Heres some diagnostic steps for "horn switch stuck" fault:

This next section, for the clock spring, is where many of us, myself included, have seen faults with this model PT. Mine, I could hit that steering wheel dead center with a baseball bat and it wouldn't honk. PITA! This is your likely cause/culprit:
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Old 24 Sep 2019, 09:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I believe the clock spring is the most likely reason to cause this horn problem. I've had to replace one in both my 2001 PT and in my Charger Daytona. Often, the problems they cause are periodic and very hard to isolate since they don't happen all the time.

I recently changed out the cruise control lever in my 2007 PT Vert. It wasn't too bad. If me, I'd first pull the air bag and test the contacts for the horn. That's easy to do. If no joy, I'd get a salvage yard clock spring for $15 or less and change it out to see if that fixes the issue. It's considerably less work than trying to further diagnose a problem that may not show up during testing.

Chrysler REALLY improved the way the airbag attaches to the steering wheel in the 2nd Gen PT's. With this simple bent screwdriver, removing the air bag is a snap.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 24 Sep 2019 at 09:37 am.
Old 28 Sep 2019, 12:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
While I'm not a mechanic, I would think you've got a bad connection inside the steering wheel. Be careful to disconnect the battery for at least 30 minutes before messing with it, if you're that inclined. You have an airbag that could deploy if you don't give the capacitor long enough to discharge. Then the clock spring is what I'd be looking at. Here is some information I found by doing a Google search.

1. Check fuse 23 in the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module). 1. Replace fuse if inoperative.

2. No voltage at horn relay terminals 62 AND 66 and fuse is ok. 2. No voltage, repair TIPM as necessary.

3. Open circuit from terminal 65 of the relay to horn switch x3 circuit. 3. Repair circuit as necessary.

4. Inoperative or damaged horn. 4. Voltage at horn when horn switch is pressed, replace horn.

5. Inoperative horn switch. 5. Replace the horn switch.

Thank you for your response and suggestions. When I couldn't find any information about the horn fuse, or horn relay in the owners manual, or online, I went to the parts house. They sold me a relay, but couldn't give me the location, and I have not been able to find it anywhere. My research found that prior to the '08 model, the horn was controlled by the TIPM, '08 and newer is controlled by a relay, so I'm left chasing my tail ...
Old 28 Sep 2019, 01:06 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I believe the clock spring is the most likely reason to cause this horn problem. I've had to replace one in both my 2001 PT and in my Charger Daytona. Often, the problems they cause are periodic and very hard to isolate since they don't happen all the time.

I recently changed out the cruise control lever in my 2007 PT Vert. It wasn't too bad. If me, I'd first pull the air bag and test the contacts for the horn. That's easy to do. If no joy, I'd get a salvage yard clock spring for $15 or less and change it out to see if that fixes the issue. It's considerably less work than trying to further diagnose a problem that may not show up during testing.

Chrysler REALLY improved the way the airbag attaches to the steering wheel in the 2nd Gen PT's. With this simple bent screwdriver, removing the air bag is a snap.

Thanks for the response, it would seem that this is the logical next step to pursue ...
Old 19 Nov 2019, 10:54 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteduster View Post
Thanks for the response, it would seem that this is the logical next step to pursue ...
... and the saga continues. After the dealership directed me to the boneyard because the clockspring is no longer available, I just unplugged the damn horn. Two weeks later, the battery turns up dead and I find that one of the two bands on the positive battery terminal clamp is broken. I replaced the clamp, charged the battery, and all was well again ......., for a couple more weeks. Battery turns up dead again, so I take it in to be tested and they tell me that it's toast. I put a new one in and during the test drive I notice that there is no volume on the radio ..., like it's muted somehow, but it isn't. While I'm trying to figure that out, the engine loses power, she doesn't die, just feels like a power loss of some sort. While coasting through a U turn, I pump the accelerator (I know, I know, old-school habit) and then she dies. When I start it back up she rev's up full throttle and appears to hit the rev limiter, it she has one, if not she just started cutting out. There are no engine lights on, sounds like the ECM may be wigging out. Anyone experience anything like this?
Old 20 Nov 2019, 09:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Check the ground connections on the drivers side fender. You'll have to remove the air filter box in order to get to them.

Old 20 Nov 2019, 07:19 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Check the ground connections on the drivers side fender. You'll have to remove the air filter box in order to get to them.
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow, I have seen bad grounds cause weird problems in the past.

I did borrow a co-workers Bosch PocketScan today and it shows no codes, but still no check engine light and the RPM's still climbing by itself. (Leveled off at 3,000 tonight)
Old 20 Nov 2019, 07:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What codes ?