Advertisements
New paint job- Questions??

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2019, 12:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Default New paint job- Questions??

Pt'ers,
As you some are aware- my pt paint job is going bad. the clear coat is eating up really bad in the Ga. hot sun.
Looking at taking it to a nearby collision place to paint it.
Questions:
1. It is a steel-blue color...looking at changing to a more blue color. Any issues?
2. Other paintables-- such as Should i have my bumpers painted?? (its a 2003 and had those old grey color).
2b. I dislike the pillars, are they paintable?? and should i do those??
3. brake calipers on the fronts?? you do see the rusty looking things.

Anything else to look at???
Old 27 Sep 2019, 01:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New paint job- Questions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Pt'ers,
As you some are aware- my pt paint job is going bad. the clear coat is eating up really bad in the Ga. hot sun.
Questions:
1. It is a steel-blue color...looking at changing to a more blue color. Any issues?
2. Other paintables-- such as Should i have my bumpers painted?? (its a 2003 and had those old grey color).

to answer 1,2 and 2b...... If you are not personally painting the PT yourself this is something you should be talking to your chosen body shop about???? And anything is can pretty much be painted these days. I had my pillars HYDROCOATED CARBON-FIBER look.

to answer "3" sorta because is there another question besides if we see rust on your caliper???

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 27 Sep 2019, 03:39 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Pt'ers,
Questions:

Just my opinion but, stay with the steel blue, it's similar to one of my favorite colors, Corvette Steel City Grey. Staying with the original color also saves the cost of spraying all the internal door and hatch jambs. Go ahead and match paint the bumper covers. Just be sure they add a flex agent to the paint and primer on the bumpers or it'll crack with the first flex!
Step back and look at the side lines of your PT. With the pillars painted to match the body color it destroys the original design perfection of the PT Cruiser. Unless you want to go big bucks and round the top and bottom corner of each door pillar to enhance the intended retro look of a PT I'd just use some buffing compound to restore the black on the pillars.

I did a parts off reincarnate of SOOO BIG in 2013. It was worth every penny. Three coats Cool Vanilla White, three coats clear. SOOO BIG's been out in the Florida sun every day since then, with absolutely no adverse effects. We get more sun here in Florida than you do in Georgia. Good luck with the project

SOO BIG's repair, left side.jpgSOO BIG's repair, reader coat, left rear quarter.jpgSOO BIG's repairs, factory originated, shallow crease repair.jpgSOO BIG's repair, right rear quarter and door.jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 27 Sep 2019, 03:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

And, IF you are changing colors, ask the painter how they plan to address the different color in the door jams.
Lighter colors show up on sunny days.
Busted_PT and ptprice like this.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 27 Sep 2019, 04:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

Except for added costs I don't see any problem with what you want to do. Assuming it's done by bodyman. Better ask how much more
Old 27 Sep 2019, 06:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Step back and look at the side lines of your PT. With the pillars painted to match the body color it destroys the original design perfection of the PT Cruiser.
see this is where I read into it differently ...when someone ask like he did about pillars...I assumed he was talking about the interior "PILLARS". LOL
My sensibility is why would you just paint the external pillars of a PT a different color then the rest of the car.. Even if it were a convertible model PT I can even envision it? .... think about it?

Oh if you have to suggest to any body shop how to paint soft bumper covers on any vehicle ....IMHO better find another body shop!

As for door jams there is all kinds of way to make door jams look good within reason of color choose other then stock. If stock most better shops will blend them in anyway. If you do choose a totally different color if the body shop does not consider even mentioning the door jams...again IMHO find another shop!!!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 29 Sep 2019, 10:30 am
Young Cruiser

thanks for the responses.
I will leave the pillars alone. Just polish them more frequently.
As for the painting- yeah i didnt think about the inner door sills and stuff throughhly, but it was a idea.
The brake caliper thingy, should been more clear on it, they are bulky greyish looking and has a tiny bit surface rust look. Nothing mechanicaly wrong.
I got shiny chrome rims and something i thought to spruce it up.
Good points to the bumpers, i knew i read somewhere about them here.
I went driving to 5 shops this weekend, all closed.
The last thing is, i most likely be ridding the exterior acessorys...like the door spears, front/lower grills, the california front vizor, and maybe the bumper add-ons.
Getting it back to stock. I know all this might be costing a bit, but if i do this--- i will keep the car much longer than looking at trading it in.
We'll see in a few weeks what numbers are worked up
Old 29 Sep 2019, 04:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You might as well keep it. If you go to trade it in, you won't be offered much for it. When I had my GT (in good shape) I was offered $500 for a trade in. You decide to get rid of it, you'll do better with a private sale.
NitroPT and ptprice like this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 01 Oct 2019, 01:13 pm
Young Cruiser

one shop was like 1950, another was in the 3-5k range.
GEEZ!!!!
Might as well keep it, do nothing, and hand it down to my nephew in a few yrs.
Old 01 Oct 2019, 02:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
one shop was like 1950, another was in the 3-5k range.
GEEZ!!!!
Might as well keep it, do nothing, and hand it down to my nephew in a few yrs.
A complete quality paint job on an average size car is 5-10 grand in most every state.

Under 4 grand you get what you pay for which unless you really know someone is a cheeezie paint and body work..

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN