Transmission or Electrical?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Oct 2019, 12:55 am
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy Transmission or Electrical?

Before describing current issue, let me give a little back info on my 08 PT LX.

Sorry Long post

Few weeks back everything was fine. Was driving to work and stopped at a light and boom.....CEL came on. Didnt have to plug in my OBD to know what it was. Camshaft Position Sensor. Went out to 24hr autozone and got a Camshaft Position Sensor and erased the code and everything was fine.

Less than 24hrs later, after picking up my 03 Woody PT, I get 1 mile from the mechanic and boom....CEL again.....This time Throttle Position Sensor. Drove to auto part store, bought new part, installed it on the spot. cleared the code. fine. Except now My cars voltages are very wonky and noticed this when the TPS went.

Before the TPS went, my cars voltage would read 14.0-14.1 constantly. I have 2 volt meters. One connected in the car to the cigarette lighter with a 3 port extension. 2 are turned off and one is for dash cam. That read 14.0-14.1 constant. I also have another connected to the negative terminal on the battery and the main battery harness so it turns on when the car is on. That also read the same 14.0-14.1. However now, I get readings on both (roughly the same) from 13.5-14.5 but mainly stays in the 14.2-14.3 range. Mechanic says the alternator is wonky but still good atm for now.

Now onto the current issue and an issue i had since before the voltage drops.

With the transmission, Shifting from 2nd to 3rd has always had a wobble/shake to it. Before shifting to 3rd it would wobble/shake and then shift. every other gear upshifting is fine. No voltage drops. Now, when it downshifts from 2nd to 1st, it at most times is a hard shift (I can feel it in the brake pedal) and I almost always see a drop in voltage now since these past 2 sensors failing but never before. I see drops from the 14 range down to 12.6-13.1 when it shifts into 1st and then goes back up to the 14.1-14.3 range and then the voltage plays its jump around game from 13.5-14.5.

I don't know whats going on and dont know where to look. Id suspect the alternator but this transmission issue persisted LONG before the voltage issue and LONG before I added a aftermarket stereo. (No Subs, No Amps, No aftermarket speakers, just a pioneer radio head unit) So, im kind of suspecting the transmission but thinking it may be something else? Sensors? Solenoids? All the wiring I could find looks good. No corrosion, open wires, or anything. Grounds look good. This PT is MINT cosmetically frame and all and dont want to get rid of it but this issue is irritating to say the least.

Suggestions?
Old 09 Oct 2019, 06:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission or Electrical?

In the absents of a wiring harness issue, my though is the PCM. If me, I'd start with a hard reset. I'd disconnect both battery terminals and then touch them together for several minutes. Then I'd reconnect and see if that fixes these issues. If no joy, I'd take my battery to a parts store and have it load tested just to eliminate it as a variable. If good, I might consider trying a salvage alternator for about $30. If no joy, I'd likely contact forum member Myckee about a PCM. Myckee can tell me which salvage PCM to get and then he can flash it to the right programing for my PT and put in the right VIN so it works with my SKIM system.

Another choice is to take the car to a shop that has advanced diagnostics and that knows Daimler Chrysler cars well. Once hooked to their diagnostic system, the shop may be able to pinpoint the issue if it's PCM related.

You also have to accept the fact that the transmission issue may be mechanical and may not be directly related to the wonky alternator and/or sensor issues. The fixes I described are inexpensive things I can do at home before seeking shop engine and/or transmission diagnostics.
rockandroller and chuzz like this.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 02:59 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
In the absents of a wiring harness issue, my though is the PCM. If me, I'd start with a hard reset. I'd disconnect both battery terminals and then touch them together for several minutes. Then I'd reconnect and see if that fixes these issues. If no joy, I'd take my battery to a parts store and have it load tested just to eliminate it as a variable. If good, I might consider trying a salvage alternator for about $30. If no joy, I'd likely contact forum member Myckee about a PCM. Myckee can tell me which salvage PCM to get and then he can flash it to the right programing for my PT and put in the right VIN so it works with my SKIM system.

Another choice is to take the car to a shop that has advanced diagnostics and that knows Daimler Chrysler cars well. Once hooked to their diagnostic system, the shop may be able to pinpoint the issue if it's PCM related.

You also have to accept the fact that the transmission issue may be mechanical and may not be directly related to the wonky alternator and/or sensor issues. The fixes I described are inexpensive things I can do at home before seeking shop engine and/or transmission diagnostics.

Forgot to mention. Battery is new. Bought mid-end of april. I stored the PT during winter and the battery died to where it would not hold any charge. Had to buy a new one. I will disconnect terminals and see what happens. I assume the transmission (if not pcm or electrical) may be on its way out. It slipped twice soon after taking it out of storage but the issues described in original post has been going on since 2017. I may have thought it could be a downshift solenoid, speed sensors or something but i dont want to throw money at it when it may not fix it. Idk.

Maybe i'll just wait til it starts throwing codes. Its being stored on the 27th of this month for the winter until about april next year.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 06:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

I'd go to a junkyard and find a PT with a decent looking transmission and clean fluid and grab the solenoid pack and both input and output sensor and swap them out. I got a solenoid pack for $35. The sensors were $2 each. I'd also drain a pint of fluid out and put in a pint of Lucas transmission treatment. BUT, I'm not an ASE Certified Mechanic like Handy, so take it for what it is. A suggestion. Have you EVER changed the fluid and filter?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 08:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have the same problem with the transmission on my 2007 Pt Cruuiser. Downshift hard from third to 2nd. Change the tramission fluid and filter. Got a code for overheating selenoid. 4000 miles later it is much better but still feel it a little when down shifting.

Check for transmission codes. My overheated selenoid was not part of the selenoid pack and is buried deep
Inside the transmission. Dont remember the.code but you will need a special transmission scanner tool like my neighbor has.

I will let everyone know how the selenoiid looks when I do take my transmission apart.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 10 Oct 2019 at 08:41 am.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 08:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

On your electrical voltage problem you might a sensor shorting to ground and lowering the voltage. It would not surprise me if the 5 or 8 volt line is dropping. One of the lower voltage wires has several sensors depending on it.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 10 Oct 2019 at 08:51 am.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 07:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

As far as trans fluid and filter.....no i have not changed it since i bought the car in 2016 with 110k.it just turned 136k now. If the solenoid and sensors for the trans is in deep inside the trans then I may wait to do all of that. If they have to drop the tranny for that then its going to be labor intensive. Ill wait. Fluid wise it is still a crystal clear red. No signs of burning up or anything. I may have them change the fluid in spring (april/may) when i take it out of storage.

A month ago it was at a transmission shop and the guy said there was no issues that he could see and no codes at that time. Its acted the same as it has now since then and before that so idk.
Old 16 Oct 2019, 07:22 am
Cool Cruiser

you didn't specify auto or manual...

the original alternator is probably the best thing on the car...imo. it will and can get you well past 200,000 miles!

if it is an auto trans clunky up and down shifting can very well be the accumulator valves (2) which for any good mechanic, is really easy to get to- and the tranny doesn't need to come out. just the pan and the base of the valve body comes out. id check these out then decide- the wifes accumulators (just 1-1/4" metal cups and a spring- think valve shim bucket) were badly scored as was the bore. I got 2 new ones from Chrysler and creatively smoothed out the aluminum bore in the valve body... butter smooth 50,000m later. feel free to speak up if you try this yourself. there are a few tips that may help to make it easier.....

edit- the smell of the fluid is more important than the color- and the viscosity of the fluid (hot and old equals- water thin!) it takes just one vehicle with a trans gauge to completely horrify you as to how hot the poor stuff runs! like... 300f hot if you are loaded down or running up a mountain. having one completely changes the way you tow a load- and tells you the critical moments to back off... then it cools right down. also, please avoid any additives!

Last edited by rambojoe; 16 Oct 2019 at 07:28 am.
Old 16 Oct 2019, 09:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest changing the transmission oil a anyway. Remember you are not changing all the transmission oil each time. You are only putting in roughly 2/3 of the oil each time. So you might still have some oil that is not performing well. Oil is cheaper than another trans.
chuzz likes this.