Fresh Cruiser

Default Error Codes On a 2005 PT Cruiser GT Turbo

Hi Getting these codes on a 2005 PT Cruiser GT Turbo automatic;

P1689 - no communication between ECM and injection pump module
P0706 - Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
P0891 - TCM Power Relay Sense Circuit High
P0218 - Transmission Over Temperature
P0700 - Transmission Control System Malfunction

The car will drive just fine until its completely warmed up. Transmission shifts perfectly.

Then it starts shifting somewhat erratically and the high cooling fan comes on. I think it's the transmission limp mode.

It never overheats and all fluids are full. I just changed the trans fluid. I think the fluid had about 20k miles.

Its got 85,000 miles.

I dont think the transmission is overheating driving in 60 80 degree weather, no a/c, not towing anything.

Any ideas out there?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 11 Oct 2019, 04:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Error Codes On a 2005 PT Cruiser GT Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane View Post
Hi – Getting these codes on a 2005 PT Cruiser GT Turbo automatic;

P1689 - no communication between ECM and injection pump module
P0706 - Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
P0891 - TCM Power Relay Sense Circuit High
P0218 - Transmission Over Temperature
P0700 - Transmission Control System Malfunction

The car will drive just fine until it’s completely warmed up. Transmission shifts perfectly.

Then it starts shifting somewhat erratically and the high cooling fan comes on. I think it's the transmission limp mode.

It never overheats and all fluids are full. I just changed the trans fluid. I think the fluid had about 20k miles.

It’s got 85,000 miles.

I don’t think the transmission is overheating – driving in 60 – 80 degree weather, no a/c, not towing anything.

Any ideas out there?
Check for any damage to the wiring harness, but that's a long shot with what you are describing. Knowing nothing else beyond what you've said and not seeing the car first hand, a failing PCM is my first guess. Other members may chime in with some other ideas.

To me, this sounds like an almost classic PCM failure. Everything works fine until the PCM heats up and then the car goes crazy. You will not know for sure unless you take it to a shop with advanced diagnostics and that have experience with Daimler Chrysler cars. Or you could take a chance and try another PCM. If you contact forum member Myckee, he can likely tell you which PCM's will work from salvage cars. Then you get one and send it to Myckee for programming. He had a small business doing this and he's reasonably priced. You can contact him by PM.
chuzz and fairlane like this.
Old 12 Oct 2019, 11:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Check for any damage to the wiring harness, but that's a long shot with what you are describing. Knowing nothing else beyond what you've said and not seeing the car first hand, a failing PCM is my first guess. Other members may chime in with some other ideas.

To me, this sounds like an almost classic PCM failure. Everything works fine until the PCM heats up and then the car goes crazy. You will not know for sure unless you take it to a shop with advanced diagnostics and that have experience with Daimler Chrysler cars. Or you could take a chance and try another PCM. If you contact forum member Myckee, he can likely tell you which PCM's will work from salvage cars. Then you get one and send it to Myckee for programming. He had a small business doing this and he's reasonably priced. You can contact him by PM.
Handy_Cruiser - thanks for the excellent advice!

I'll do just that - will get a diagnosis from a shop with experience in this area.

Then, how to deal with it.

Thanks,
Dan
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 12 Oct 2019, 02:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good luck, Dan.

Also know that a reflashed PCM should not cost you more than $200 to $400. If the shop says you need one and wants to charge an arm and a leg, contact Myckee like I mentioned above.
myckee likes this.
Old 13 Oct 2019, 11:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Good luck, Dan.

Also know that a reflashed PCM should not cost you more than $200 to $400. If the shop says you need one and wants to charge an arm and a leg, contact Myckee like I mentioned above.
Thanks for the advice - talking with Myckee now.

Dan
Handy_Cruiser and myckee like this.
Old 02 Nov 2019, 09:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi All -

I wanted to express my appreciation for all the great advice offered here, and the fact that my GT is back on the road and running like the sweet little machine it is.

I did eventually buy a PCM from MYCKEE that I installed a week ago. That was definitely the cure as everything cleared up - no more weird problems.

He had the exact PCM I needed and we got the deal done.

I thought it was interesting that the PCM on my car looked to have been replaced before - it still had the "Warranty Voided If Seal Broken" stickers on it and was NOT the correct part number for a GT HO.

And I did learn a couple of things too -

1. There is an outfit on ebay who will repair your PCM. I did approach them with my error codes and, to their credit, said that sounded like a processor issue that could not be repaired. They did confirm that the error codes were consistent with a PCM failure and that the PCM should be replaced. Nice.

I didn't have to get an expensive diagnosis from the dealer!

2. As I was replacing the PCM, I noticed a vacuum line that had broken off, and I didn't see the other end. After some digging in the thermally-protected wrap holding a bunch of vacuum near the firewall, I saw the broken end. Got a small piece of rubber vacuum line and fixed it.

Guess what? That little fix restored the cruise control - which hasn't worked on the car since I bought it 17 months ago!

So, with a little angst and effort, everything turned out well and I got the cruise back as a bonus!

Dan
Cat22, podo2000 and myckee like this.

Last edited by fairlane; 10 Nov 2019 at 02:44 pm.
Old 02 Nov 2019, 11:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

NOW GO DO A TRANSMISSION FILTER SERVICE!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Nov 2019, 02:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Nitro -

Great advice - did that one first!

Thanks,
Dan
Old 10 Nov 2019, 04:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I might suggest to you and other in the future when you get a DTC(s) note them access your monitors as well note the ones not in ready status . Then clear the pending DTC(s) you may even re-set the monitors but it is not necessary then run the engine and do at least one (2-3 better) drive cycle(s) re-check or check the DTC ones as soon as the engine check light comes on and compare with the first noted DTC(s). This gives you a better starting point of an issue and not simply many DTC that may have been fault triggered by the actual issues.

Use only a quality diagnostic scanner on the OBD diagnostic connector and not blue tooth or key dance for accuracy!

*PCMs in many Chrysler model especially the PT Cruisers are not really candidates for a true electrical repair because of labor cost to replace parts in the PCM itself. I suspect that many offering the service may not be explaining the full details of their service and I would not recomend to anyone to have a *PCM repaired but to get a PCM that has been checked and flashed to the proper OS needed for your VIN.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Tags
pt cruiser transmission, transmission problem