PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Evaporator Heater Core

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Oct 2019, 09:28 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Evaporator Heater Core

Hi

I havent been the forum in a while. I bought a new Rubicon and parted ways with my 03 PT GT. I still have the other 3 PT's

The PT gods must be mad, on my 06 PT GT the AC failed, recharged with dye and it appears the evaporator is bad. So to correct will have to remove the dash and what not to replace. Guess I will also throw in a new heater core.

Are there any write ups on here on an 06+ dash removal and HVAC?

Has anyone done it? If so how long to do it and any tricky parts like unobvious bolts screws to remove??

Anything else to replace while the dash is out?? Also any manufacturer to use or avoid, see units from TYC, Four Seasons, Spectra etc or go mopar??

Thanks for any input. Note will propbably tackle next spring

Mike

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 30 Oct 2019, 10:31 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Evaporator Heater Core

I just did this a few months ago on an 03. While it is not an 06, I doubt much has changed. I had help from my brother with this stuff, so we had it apart and back together after about 5 hours.

I used a TYC evaporator and a Spectra Premium heater core. Both worked perfectly. The TYC evaporator was identical in every way to the original, so I was able to reuse the original foam etc. What I really liked was that my TYC had been sealed under vacuum. It had small block off plates with rubber gaskets and when removed, you could head the air get sucked in. This was wonderful as I was assured the part was good and not leaking before installing. I was impressed as the TYC was the cheapest one available on rockauto where I bought it.
Old 30 Oct 2019, 11:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
I just did this a few months ago on an 03. While it is not an 06, I doubt much has changed. I had help from my brother with this stuff, so we had it apart and back together after about 5 hours.

I used a TYC evaporator and a Spectra Premium heater core. Both worked perfectly. The TYC evaporator was identical in every way to the original, so I was able to reuse the original foam etc. What I really liked was that my TYC had been sealed under vacuum. It had small block off plates with rubber gaskets and when removed, you could head the air get sucked in. This was wonderful as I was assured the part was good and not leaking before installing. I was impressed as the TYC was the cheapest one available on rockauto where I bought it.
Thanks

Any hidden bolts on the HVAC module, I see some comment on one hidden nut sert?

I have a couple friends who are techs who owe me, will probably do most of it myself next spring, will feed them some hydraulic sandwhiches to come over a coach and lend extra pair of hands.

I assume you just laid the steering column down. I will probably yank both seats and the center console to clear real estate. I assume most to the issue is getting all the connectors apart, I am used to doing a lot of these things so it probably wont be difficult and since I have 10 cars not an issue.

anyone else feel free to comment.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 17 Nov 2019, 05:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

I did this about three years ago in my PT and found something online showing all the items needing removed in a step by step process. All in all I would say it was about 5 hour job not counting servicing the cooling system and a/c system.

Make sure you have the two large white connectors on drivers side FULLY seated and locked. On one I did not and caused all sorts of electrical issues and about 20 minutes back tracking and double checking my work.