PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is it possible to redrill the driver's seat base on SOOO BIG for more leg room.

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jan 2020, 01:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Is it possible to redrill the driver's seat base on SOOO BIG for more leg room.

I'd like to gain a bit more leg room for the driver's seat on SOOO BIG, a 2005 PT.
I exchanged the original driver's seat base for a scrap yard passenger seat base drawer slide assembly years ago.
I can't crawl around on my hands and knees as I used to, trying to figure out,
is it possible to re-drill this "driver's seat base" mount holes further forward to gain more leg room
by re-drilling new mount holes at least one inch forward to re-mount the seat base reward accordingly?

I took some photos of the front and rear mounting bolts.
Are there other possible alternatives?

Please advise. Thanks, Happy PTin', ptprice

SOOO BIG's front seats?...….…………………Possible re-drill point about 1" forward for front mount bolt?
IMG-16.jpgIMG_20200.jpg
Possible re-drill point about 1" forward for rear mount bolt?
104820.jpg

Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 04 Jan 2020 at 03:22 pm.
Old 04 Jan 2020, 03:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: Is it possible to redrill the driver's seat base on SOOO BIG for more leg room.

Is it just me??
You've got me confused...

You want MORE LEG ROOM, and want to drill the mounting holes "forward".
Seems like mounting forward would only give the BACK SEAT more leg room.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 04 Jan 2020, 03:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Is it possible to redrill the driver's seat base on SOOO BIG for more leg room.

I'm pretty sure that what he means, Frank is that if he drills a hole 1" forward where the rear bolt is shown, that he will be able to move the seat backward 1". I don't see why that won't work but I don't remember how the front seat track is attached. I don't think that would work because of limited space on the front, but am probably wrong.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 04 Jan 2020, 07:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Is it possible to redrill the driver's seat base on SOOO BIG for more leg room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Is it just me??

Maybe he could try some superglue.
Old 04 Jan 2020, 09:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Is it just me??

If the mount holes in the seat base were re-drilled, located an inch forward of the original mount holes, it appears, that would allow for positioning that portion of the seat base one inch to the rear. But I wanted to be sure before tackling it.
Frank, I'm sure once you've absorbed that concept you'll understand my intent.
It appears eminently doable on the front mount holes. New mount hole re-drilled one inch forward allows that part of the assembly to be moved to the rear by one inch.
I want to be sure that rear cross brace is the second seat base element candidate for re-drilled mount holes. So far the only way I inspected the rear brace is by touch. Reaching in from the side, it feels like there's a front rolled edge on the rear cross brace that might block it from sliding rearward once a new mount hole is drilled. Because of a degenerative blood flow condition, a physical limitation, I can't lean over and visually inspect that area. I see from the photo I took, there's is a plastic drip plate mounted to the cross bar with Philips screws hiding the brace configuration. I couldn't visually inspect that. Removing it might reveal if that rolled edge I felt is an integral necessity or can be removed with a high speed grinder or simply bent or hammered flat.
I only want to move the driver's seat base back an inch with new mount holes. That's why I've posed this question.
I was hoping to get a logical answer as I only want to move the driver's seat base to the rear to make room for my big feet.

Front seat base assembly, note area in front of mount bolt allowing for re-drilling a new one inch foreword mount hole.
IMG_20200.jpg
Rear cross mount. Plastic dust plate is possibly removable. It seems there's enough metal stock in front of the mount bolt to re-drill a mount hole one inch foreword but I'm not sure of the front roll I feel on the cross mount.
104820.jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 05 Jan 2020, 07:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I THINK you'd be okay with that, Price. Unfortunately, I no longer have a PT to check that out for you. I'm sure one of our other kind members will do that for you and get back to you. I was more concerned with the front mounts being relocated.
ptprice likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 05 Jan 2020, 08:03 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I THINK you'd be okay with that, Price. Unfortunately, I no longer have a PT to check that out for you. I'm sure one of our other kind members will do that for you and get back to you. I was more concerned with the front mounts being relocated.
Exactly Chuzz. Perhaps someone more able can check and advise.
Is front rolled edge modification necessary on the rear mount brace bar?
Or can it be successfully slid to a reward mount point with just re-drilled mount holes?

Thanks, Happy Ptin', ptprice

104820.jpg
Old 05 Jan 2020, 09:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Exactly Chuzz. Perhaps someone more able can check and advise.
Is front rolled edge modification necessary on the rear mount brace bar?
Or can it be successfully slid to a reward mount point with just re-drilled mount holes?

Thanks, Happy Ptin', ptprice

Attachment 31647
Hey Price,

I've been considering doing the same thing to get more leg room in my 2007 PT convertible. The seats are different but similar to the 1st Gen seats. I want about 4 to 6 inches if I can get it.

On the back side, I believe holes can be drilled more forward on the rails if I can find flat-headed bolts that will allow the sliding mechanism to pass over them. I might need to put thick metal plates beneath the rails to support them since the bar they sit on will be further forward. But on the front side, I figure I'm going to have to drill through the chassis and add some reinforcement plates from beneath the car.

I like what you have planed to get an extra inch or so. It looks to me like you will not have the issues I've described since you are just drilling through the existing parts on the seat.
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 05 Jan 2020 at 02:26 pm.
Old 05 Jan 2020, 02:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yup!
Sounds reasonable.
The original plan seems like a lot of work and effort in order to get a mere 1 inch!
I'd consider remounting the seat to the chassis.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 05 Jan 2020, 03:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Maybe he could try some superglue.
Just a temporary idea so you can make sure you have the right location before making permanent holes you can't reverse.

I also have a 2007 Convertable so I will see if I can help you.

I also used to be a machinist so I have an idea what you are talking about.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 05 Jan 2020 at 04:00 pm.