Transmission slipping, limp mode, leaking fluid

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By myckee
  • 3 Post By inertian

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2020, 05:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission slipping, limp mode, leaking fluid

2004 PTC Limited Turbo Lite, 123500 miles.

Starting the car after doing some early morning errands yesterday (weather in the low 40s), noticed the transmission was slow to engage (engine revved, then car jerked into gear.)

It kept doing this until about halfway into the ten minute trip home, CEL came on (code P0700) then the car seemed stuck in one gear (limp mode I'm guessing). Made it home, but had to leave again for the rest of the day.

This morning, checked the ATF level, nothing showing on the dipstick cold or hot engine. Added a total of 1.5 quarts of ATF+4, got me in the normal range cold, but nothing registered when the car was idled up to running temp. Sure enough, there was a puddle of fresh ATF under the car, on the passenger front side of center.

Really don't want to put more money into this car at this point, hoping there is something simple I can check or fix myself. Suggestions welcome.

Last edited by inertian; 20 Jan 2020 at 05:22 pm.
Old 20 Jan 2020, 06:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission slipping, limp mode, leaking fluid

Since I don't think any of the lines actually go over to the passenger side. It makes me think that the cooler or perhaps the hoses going to the cooler, which are on the driver side, could be leaking. They are leaking onto the inside of the bumper skin and finding a way out on the passenger side. The cooler is on the very front of the rad and A/C condenser assembly and the lines reach it from the driver side. You should be able to see it when you look through the grill at the mid to top portion of the rad/condenser assembly. Have a look and then open the hood an look down on the driver side along that edge of the rad and under the battery area for signs of the leak. It should be pretty obvious.
Old 20 Jan 2020, 06:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertian View Post
2004 PTC Limited Turbo Lite, 123500 miles.

Starting the car after doing some early morning errands yesterday (weather in the low 40s), noticed the transmission was slow to engage (engine revved, then car jerked into gear.)

It kept doing this until about halfway into the ten minute trip home, CEL came on (code P0700) then the car seemed stuck in one gear (limp mode I'm guessing). Made it home, but had to leave again for the rest of the day.

This morning, checked the ATF level, nothing showing on the dipstick cold or hot engine. Added a total of 1.5 quarts of ATF+4, got me in the normal range cold, but nothing registered when the car was idled up to running temp. Sure enough, there was a puddle of fresh ATF under the car, on the passenger front side of center.

Really don't want to put more money into this car at this point, hoping there is something simple I can check or fix myself. Suggestions welcome.
I would check to see where the oil leak is coming from.

I would also suggest trying to borrow a scanner that will read all P07XX codes. Not just the P0700 generic code. Until you do this you might be guessing at what the issue might be.
Old 20 Jan 2020, 07:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I run an older Ultragauge, only code is P0700, nothing else. I'm guessing it was thrown due to the lack of ATF, and not any other failing component. Is there a code for low/no ATF?
Old 21 Jan 2020, 08:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

No, no code for low trans fluid. It MIGHT be a cracked cooler. You really need to take a look at it.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 07 Feb 2020, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission slipping, limp mode, leaking fluid - the rest of the story

Brought it to my local Firestone place, have a long relationship with them, mostly very good. Plus, they are within walking distance of my house so...

They farmed it out to their transmission guy, told me there was a big hold in my oil cooler. Replaced it, hosese (which were original!) and did a full service. Transmission works great now, much quieter and smoother then I recall - as well it should!

In hindsight, there was a big wind storm a few days before I had the leak, wondering if I just ran over something (tree limb, debris) that did the damage.