PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Motor Mount Question

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jan 2020, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Motor Mount Question

My 2008 non-turbo developed some unusual noises when leaving a full stop. I opened to hood and pushed the car back and forth with my knee and saw the motor was moving as well as the car. Thinking motor mount I took it to my service station who told me itís the bracket front top mount is bolted to.
Having trouble locating that bracket....anyone no of a source?
Thanks for the help
Old 25 Jan 2020, 05:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Motor Mount Question

It can be a bit confusing. Technically there is one motor mount, an upper torque strut, a lower torque strut and a transmission mount, all contain rubber vibration isolating bushings. The motor mount and torque struts generally get lumped together with the name "motor mount".

The engine-transmission assembly is supported by the motor mount and transmission mount. One is on each side and they bolt into the frame rails.

There are two torque struts, one upper and one lower. The torque struts transmit the torque of the engine to the car body during acceleration and deceleration, they keep the engine from rocking uncontrollably. You can see the upper torque strut under the hood, it's on the passenger side. The lower torque strut is also on the passenger side, down below, towards the front of the engine. You'd have to pull the lower splash shield to really see it.

All mounts / torque struts are readily available from RockAuto or your local car parts store. It helps to know what the mount (or in your case, upper torque strut) looks like. I've found matching it by picture is the best way to be sure of what I'm getting.

I've replace many of them over the years. The torque struts are not particularly hard to do. (However, the motor mount is buried and usually replaced when the timing belt is changed). Be aware, there is an alignment procedure that involves loosening both torque struts, jacking the engine into a measured position and tightening things up. It's not overly hard to do, but should be done when replacing a torque strut for correct engine alignment with the car body.
Old 25 Jan 2020, 06:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Rick
Thanks so much for your explanation and description
Jerry
Old 25 Jan 2020, 10:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagondog View Post
Rick
Thanks so much for your explanation and description
Jerry
Make sure you verify the 4.720 dim. after you follow the factory manual procedure on installing or adjusting the upper and lower torque struts.
Old 26 Jan 2020, 04:58 am
Cool Cruiser

motor mount: ▼

typical transmission mount: ▼

upper torque strut: ▼

lower torque strut: ▼

4.720" = 120mm
imickey503 likes this.
Old 26 Jan 2020, 09:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Rick, perhaps you can give me some advice
The mechanic working on my torque strut said parts were missing and he can’t get them. The strut in question is on the upper left looking in from the front. The mounting block that bolts to the motor with two long bolts is missing as it the attachment going from the block and through the rubber mount and bolts in. I took the car back....I ordered the strut from Rock but have no idea where to get the block, bolts and attachment bolt. The dealer says they are unavailable. I’m screwed as this is our only car for the next month. Any sources you can recommend
Thanks Rick
Old 26 Jan 2020, 09:49 am
Cool Cruiser

That's a trip to the auto salvage yard. Look for a PT as close as possible to your model. Pull the bracket and don't forget the bolts (all 3, including the one at the back). Here's a picture of my upper torque strut:

I'd inspect your lower torque strut too. It's very odd to be missing the upper torque strut, but if that's the case I'd expect the lower strut would take a beating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg torque strut with notes.jpg (94.8 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by RickinPA; 26 Jan 2020 at 09:51 am.
Old 26 Jan 2020, 11:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinPA View Post
That's a trip to the auto salvage yard. Look for a PT as close as possible to your model. Pull the bracket and don't forget the bolts (all 3, including the one at the back). Here's a picture of my upper torque strut:

I'd inspect your lower torque strut too. It's very odd to be missing the upper torque strut, but if that's the case I'd expect the lower strut would take a beating.
I would also expect the motor mount to take a beating but try just installing the upper motor mount per the factory manual procedure.
Old 26 Jan 2020, 01:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

[QUOTE=RickinPA;710600]It can be a bit confusing. Technically there is one motor mount, an upper torque strut, a lower torque strut and a transmission mount, all contain rubber vibration isolating bushings. The motor mount and torque struts generally get lumped together with the name "motor mount".

The engine-transmission assembly is supported by the motor mount and transmission mount. One is on each side and they bolt into the frame rails.

There are two torque struts, one upper and one lower. The torque struts transmit the torque of the engine to the car body during acceleration and deceleration, they keep the engine from rocking uncontrollably. You can see the upper torque strut under the hood, it's on the passenger side. The lower torque strut is also on the passenger side, down below, towards the front of the engine. You'd have to pull the lower splash shield to really see it.

All mounts / torque struts are readily available from RockAuto or your local car parts store. It helps to know what the mount (or in your case, upper torque strut) looks like. I've found matching it by picture is the best way to be sure of what I'm getting.

I've replace many of them over the years. The torque struts are not particularly hard to do. (However, the motor mount is buried and usually replaced when the timing belt is changed). Be aware, there is an alignment procedure that involves loosening both torque struts, jacking the engine into a measured position and tightening things up. It's not overly hard to do, but should be done when replacing a torque strut for correct engine alignment with the car body.[/

Rick....would you know the OEM part number for that clamp I need. Our salvage facilities in the city index their parts, no longer can we go in the yard to look for parts. Iím sure that clamp is not aftermarket. Iím in PA often.....I owe you dinner
Old 26 Jan 2020, 02:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Also while at the wrecking yard you can also check if they have any dodge neons i read they. Use the same torque struts
Anyway hope you find what you need