PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
5speed manual shifter stops shifting going uphill?

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Fk5
  • 1 Post By MJKnight
  • 5 Post By jrunner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2020, 08:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 5speed manual shifter stops shifting going uphill?

Hi cruisers today I drove my cruiser up a hill in 4th gear went to shift and seemed like shifter cable broke shifter was just wobbly. Was able to drive home with it stuck in 4th gear got it in the backyard after about a half hour the shifters working and shifting normal? So said what the heck I drove it around everything seemed fine so I went back up the hill and same thing shifter stopped working again. Going to Jack it up tomorrow to check the tranny fluid. Thought I ask if anyone has experienced this?? Thanks in advance
Old 06 Feb 2020, 09:13 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 5speed manual shifter stops shifting going uphill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrunner View Post
Hi cruisers today I drove my cruiser up a hill in 4th gear went to shift and seemed like shifter cable broke shifter was just wobbly. Was able to drive home with it stuck in 4th gear got it in the backyard after about a half hour the shifters working and shifting normal? So said what the heck I drove it around everything seemed fine so I went back up the hill and same thing shifter stopped working again. Going to Jack it up tomorrow to check the tranny fluid. Thought I ask if anyone has experienced this?? Thanks in advance
Check the bushings. I drove mine with blown bushings for years. Sometimes it would be difficult to shift, but others you'd hardly notice a difference. You have broken a shift cable in the past? I've never had that issue. Did something bind? Check the mechanical linkages and bushings first. I'm not sure why a hill would matter. I've had them shift when off, but not when running, but that is an entirely different issue.
Old 06 Feb 2020, 01:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Bushings located
Under center console
Under the hood on top of the transmission
Fk5 likes this.

Old 06 Feb 2020, 05:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Bushings. Booger Bushings is the standard upgrade. Standard bushings also available at NAPA.
Old 06 Feb 2020, 06:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: 5speed manual shifter stops shifting going uphill?

most likely the bushing at the transmission are bad/missing. also check the torque struts, possible the engine is rocking/moving more going up hill and binding the shift cables.
I agree Booger bushings are a great upgrade!

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 06 Feb 2020, 07:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Update wow as usual you guys are correct before jacking up the car I looked under the hood and what bushings both cable ends were empty. Maybe 6-7 years ago I bought the booger bushings and never installed them I also took out the console and changed those too. Talk about slop I thought it was normal all this time (inherited the pt) now there's no play at all and drove up the hill twice all's well. Thanks guys for all the help.