• 1 Post By rsrocket1
  • 3 Post By circus
  • 1 Post By RickinPA
  • 2 Post By JonN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Feb 2020, 09:53 am
Cool Cruiser

Default This may be the end

Well, it looks like the '01 my family has had for 12 years may be going soon. Pretty sure the water pump just died and losing coolant as fast as I can put it in. It's leaking on the passenger side and onto the splash shield from no visible part I can see. Pump was changed at 134k along with all timing belt components, but seems to have failed 59k later.

If confirmed to be the pump my brother will decide to let it go as it needs a few other minor repairs as well and he'd rather put the money towards something newer. I guess we can't complain. I don't blame him for not wanting to sink what is likely $1,500 between everything it needs into a 19 year old car with 193k miles. Although mechanically inclined, I don't really want to spend my free time doing this as I already work on 8 other vehicles between my fiancè's family and mine.

Guess I'll update what we find.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Vision Cross 16x7 Rims, 205/55/16 , Painted Calipers, Spoiler, CAI, Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, NEW Skar SKv2 200.4 amplifier 2 RF P2D2 12's, RF P1T-S Tweets, RF PPS4-6 Mids, RF 6x8"s, AudioControl 24XS crossover/line driver

Newest Car
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.4L 6 speed auto 92k
NRS brakes and energy suspension bushings
Pioneer DEH-X9600BT head unit, BČ Rage 1200.6 Amp, 4 JBL GX963 6x9's, 2 Skar VVXv3-12's. 6 Channel AudioControl Matrix Plus Line Driver. Stinger fan. ACR1 Bass knob

#LoudLife

Both powered by Mobil1 oil and K&N filters
Old 25 Feb 2020, 10:26 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: This may be the end

You should remove the wheel and splash shield and run the engine to see exactly where the leak is coming from. 59k is awfully soon for a water pump unless the TB tension was way off. There's only 2 places where coolant can leak from a water pump. Either the bearings are shot or the gasket is leaking. Be sure to check the lower radiator hose and the thermostat housing to make sure the leak isn't coming from there.

You could also get a loaner pressure test kit, pump it up to 15 psi and look for the leak without running the engine and worrying about those high speed belts spinning right in front of your face.

A TB/Water pump change is pretty much a Saturday "most of the day" job if you've done it before and could be a 2 weekend job or disaster if you've never done it before and mess something up. Sounds like you know what you're doing so it should be the former.

To have the job done by someone else will cost more than the car's worth but that's only if you intend to sell it immediately after you fix it. If it means keeping it for X number of years more, it would be tough to get a replacement car for $1500.

Look for the cheap fixes first, it may cost you less than you think.
podo2000 likes this.
Old 25 Feb 2020, 08:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Check the water pump inlet tube on the front facing side of the engine. My brother mistook his leaky inlet as a water pump planning to junk the car even after I told him about the inlet. It's my car now. Leaks from an aging O-ring or rust. The lower radiator hose and a heater hose is attached to it. Compared to a water pump it's easy and cheap to replace. Maybe $35ish
Remove the grille, top radi support then pull the radi forward for access.

Last edited by circus; 25 Feb 2020 at 08:37 pm. Reason: photo
Old 04 Mar 2020, 08:54 am
Cool Cruiser

Took a look at it and had my mechanic look at it. Unfortunately the water pump is gone. My estimation of 59k on it was wrong, it had 70k on it.

My Dad is looking to hand me down his F150 to my brother for a newer one, and has put a deposit down on another F150.

We are not exactly getting rid of the PT just yet, just not sure what to do with it. I'm thinking of maybe keeping it as a project car to not only fix the water pump, but the other miscellaneous things wrong with it and work on it in my free time. We'll see what happens.
Vision Cross 16x7 Rims, 205/55/16 , Painted Calipers, Spoiler, CAI, Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, NEW Skar SKv2 200.4 amplifier 2 RF P2D2 12's, RF P1T-S Tweets, RF PPS4-6 Mids, RF 6x8"s, AudioControl 24XS crossover/line driver

Newest Car
Pioneer DEH-X9600BT head unit, BČ Rage 1200.6 Amp, 4 JBL GX963 6x9's, 2 Skar VVXv3-12's. 6 Channel AudioControl Matrix Plus Line Driver. Stinger fan. ACR1 Bass knob

#LoudLife

Old 04 Mar 2020, 07:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Everybody needs a project...
JonN likes this.
Old 04 Mar 2020, 08:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinPA View Post
Everybody needs a project...
True. And I think this would be a good challenge for me. I've never done a WP-Timing belt job in a PT.

Newest Car

#LoudLife

Old 05 Mar 2020, 05:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

For right now I'm leaning more towards the project side. It's worth almost nothing in scrap but it does have sentimental value to us. There's no need to get it done ASAP, so it is fine even if I learn as I go. I've always wanted a bigger challenge and I think this is it....

Newest Car

#LoudLife

Old 05 Mar 2020, 07:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonN View Post
For right now I'm leaning more towards the project side. It's worth almost nothing in scrap but it does have sentimental value to us. There's no need to get it done ASAP, so it is fine even if I learn as I go. I've always wanted a bigger challenge and I think this is it....
There you go. I replaced the timing belt on my daughter's Neon a couple of years ago. It was a learning experience, but worth the effort. With my (now) two PTs getting due for timing belts, I suspect that will be a project(s) in the future. Bit tighter than a Neon though.
Old 17 Mar 2020, 05:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well, the tables turned. The cruiser is sold.

We just bought another big four door long bed F150. My brother needed a new ride ASAP and I have nowhere to put the PT and not much time to work on it. I sold it to someone who has full intent on fixing it and is more than qualified to do the job. I refused to bring it to a scrapyard or give it to someone who would just scrap it or part it out. It's been a good 8 years.
Fk5 and rockandroller like this.

Newest Car

#LoudLife