ALIEN in my PT

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2020, 12:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default ALIEN in my PT

I have a red 2002 pt cruiser dream approx. 45,000 miles , started up fine drove a little way down the interstate then it just shot the RPMS up like it was in neutral with full throttle, tack and gauges went crazy stereo went off and back on and the red battery light popped on for a second, then all went back to normal, gave it some gas then done it again and again like to never got it home.. parked it a couple days, drove it to AutoZone and had them put it on the voltage checker they told me the battery was bad and the alternator . confuses me because one minute he said it was 15 volt charging one second then un-readable would those two things cause all that weird crap ? mayday!

Last edited by CREWZIN; 13 Mar 2020 at 01:14 pm.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 10:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: ALIEN in my PT

I had almost the exact same thing happen on my Charger Daytona. It was a short in the large alternator wire. The wire got against the headers and shorted. Then the part of the wire touching the right header partially burned away allowing everything to work again except with a huge parasitic draw that fried the alternator.

On the PT, this should be easy to check. Run the car up on rams and inspect this wire from the alternator all the way to where it attached to either the starter or the fuse box under the hood. A short in the positive battery cable could also produce the same effect. So inspect that cable as well. You alternator could cause something similar if it's failing or if the small wires become shorted. Those small wires are for the PCM to control voltage. On my PT, battery voltage is about 12.5 when the engine is off and around 13.75 when the engine is running. Yours may vary but the readings should be somewhere in this range.

Also, if you don't have a fluke multimeter, the battery tester that Advance Auto uses often has one and it will do a parasitic draw test while they check your battery while still in your car. So if there's an Advance Auto near you, you might want them to do a test.
dougs likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Mar 2020 at 10:35 am.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 11:09 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: ALIEN in my PT

The same thing happened with SOOO BIG right after some work that left the electronic lead plug to the Cruise Control loose.
I was cruising at 65MPH when SOOO BIG shot up to almost 85. I braked the best I could with the engine still revving and pulled to the road side. The fix was just pushing the plug all the way in to properly seat it.
Happy PTin', ptprice
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.