PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dirty Rims....??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2004, 02:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Konkeler
Default Dirty Rims....??

I have a Limited Edition with the Chrome Rims. They look nice, but the fronts won't stay clean then more for a few days

I know it's mainly because of brake dust, but it doesn't end there. The Left Wheel (Driver's side) seems to get dirtier alot faster, and stay dirtier overall then the rest. Is this normal?? As far as I know the car seems to brake fine...
Old 22 Jul 2004, 04:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Switch to ceramic pads - Raybestos or NAPA. NO DUST, and they last longer.
Dust should be even - maybe the driver's pads are hanging up?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Jul 2004, 04:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not sure about the left side getting dirtier and staying that way...but YES it's normal, for the OEM brake shoes. I'm a nut on keeping all my cars clean and the darn brake dust drove me nuttier. Everybody complains, and everybody is happier than a pig in a mud bath when they finally change the pads. Almost any kind of new pad will cut down on the dust considerably. I got my new pads from a dodge dealer..they were for a Neon. They worked perfectly and they are about 95% dust free. So, you can put up with the dust and wait till they wear out (usually pretty fast - around 20,000 miles) or buy new pads now and get it over with. [8D]

...QSD! Multitasking again? If I'd keep my answers shorter, I'd be there first.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 02:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Try Kleen Wheels as an alternate fix.

Guy
Old 23 Jul 2004, 10:31 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Konkeler

I might have to check into those pads, but I do drive it alot and I'd hit 20,000k miles in a year or so...

How much do they cost? Anyboy tried to replace the pads themselves? How hard was it? I've enver worked onbrakes before, but it can't be too hard...

Old 26 Jul 2004, 03:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wow, I don't want to be where you guys drive if you lose the pads after 20K. I bought mine with 23K on it, I am now approaching 34K and still have pad left....and no, they weren't new brakes when I bought it.

In any case, polish the wheels and seal them with wax....it will really help. First time I washed them I just cleaned them, the wheels were dirtier than before in just a couple weeks. Second time, I cleaned and used some chrome polish and a wax to seal them, and they have been looking much better for about a month. The wax should be losing its potency now, and I will probably see them getting dirtier again, so I might have to do it again.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 08:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Konkeler

I might have to check into those pads, but I do drive it alot and I'd hit 20,000k miles in a year or so...

How much do they cost? Anyboy tried to replace the pads themselves? How hard was it? I've enver worked onbrakes before, but it can't be too hard...
Raybestos ceramic pads were about $70 delivered - www.PartsAmerica.Com.
I did mine myself - quite easy. Jack up, wheel off, remove caliper bolts. Push/lever on pads (SLOWLY) to push pistons back a little, pull caliper off disk. Take out old pads. Take large C-clamp and push pistons in (SLOWLY). Put in new pads, re-assemble.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Jul 2004, 02:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I heard that the ceramic pads wear out faster and if you dont replace it as soon as it needs it that your rotors will get chewed up. Any truth to this?

oh i bought some chrome cleaner/sealent for my tires from www.perfectautofinish.com i put it on saturday and was pleased with the shine I haven't really looked yet to see if its holding up though.