• 1 Post By shelbyzman
  • 2 Post By RCSnyder
  • 1 Post By rockandroller
  • 2 Post By shelbyzman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 May 2020, 12:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Wide vs Narrow Wheel MPG Comparison

First of all, I know a PT Cruiser is not an ideal car for good mpg but I drive 40 miles one way to work everyday and get about 22 mpg with my 07 GT (5-speed). It's mostly highway miles. Anyway, my tires are shot on my aftermarket 17x8 wheels. So, I have some original 15x6 wheels off of a previous PT I had. Tires are a little dry rotted but not bad and have great tread. My question is, how much difference can I expect in gas mileage if I go with the narrow wheels/tires? 1 mpg....3 mpg??? Any and all ideas are welcome. At this point, I would like better gas mileage and give up looks....but if it isn't going to be major, I will probably just get new tires on the bigger wheels. Those little tires look so narrow compared to the 8" wide ones, lol.
rockandroller likes this.
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 21 May 2020, 03:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Wide vs Narrow Wheel MPG Comparison

Thinner tires may help slightly, less mass, however what will make the biggest difference is the wheel/tire weight. The lighter the wheel/tire combined weight the better mpg.

Also note going to a smaller diameter wheel with throw off your speedometer. Smaller reads faster. HTH
Old 22 May 2020, 12:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
I would like better gas mileage and give up looks....but if it isn't going to be major, I will probably just get new tires on the bigger wheels.
Nominal gas mileage difference but I personally still would use up some of the rubber before losing it. At least for a while or if I feel they're unsafe. Stock rims look good to everyone but you. Gives you plenty of time to shop around, 17" tires can be expensive.

Last edited by circus; 22 May 2020 at 12:27 pm.
Old 22 May 2020, 01:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: Wide vs Narrow Wheel MPG Comparison

I used stock-size 16" wheels all around, and stock-size tires on the front ( for speedo calibration)

But I put the tallest/fattest tires I could find on the back! Damn the MPG

My highway mileage is amazing, anyway...
Old 25 May 2020, 09:02 am
Regular Cruiser

Factory tires are 205's no matter of 16" or 17". Not sure about the rim width. Air flow around either should be about the same.

What I do know is that Low Rolling Resistance tires are just that LRR. Even if you find an LRR you like, you're not going to see much - if any - measurable mileage difference. Too many other factors conspire to keep the PT out of the econobox category.

It's surely an interesting thought many of us have had, but you mention a long commute. Perhaps you can find a nice 18-wheeler to draft?

Bob in Liberty MO
Old 25 May 2020, 10:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The standard PT Cruiser weighs 3,123 lbs. That's 3/4 of the weight of a large 4-door Dodge Charger. The drag coefficient of the PT Cruiser is .39. For comparison, a Honda Accord is right around .30. Another vehicle with a .39 cd is a Chevrolet Tahoe, or a Dodge Durango. A Porsche Boxster has a cd of .29. It should also be noted that the 2.4L engine in the standard non-turbo PT still makes as much horsepower as an early 1980's Chevy 350 V8 engine. Overall, this means that a PT Cruiser is very heavy for a compact car, it is about as aerodynamics as a large SUV and the engine uses more fuel to make enough power to push this little beast down the road. It's not a fuel efficient car design and probably won't be even with some light modifications.

As a baseline for tire size, the GT 17 inch wheel is 5x100 7 inches wide and the offset is 39 mm. The stock tire is a 205/50 R17. You can go beyond this height and width to a limited degree if you get the offset right. On a PT Cruiser, the primary limiting factor on tire size is a front tire hitting a factory-style strut. Using aftermarket coil-overs can allow for wider and/or taller tires.

Here's a really good tire/wheel size calculator where you can visually compare.

Custom wheels, rim tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

]

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 25 May 2020 at 02:47 pm.
Old 25 May 2020, 04:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Bumping up the tire pressure might help (an infinitesimal amount, but something...)
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 25 May 2020, 07:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the info everyone. Sounds like the mpg gain would be minimal. The wheels I put on it after I bought it are 17x8 (225 x 45) and give the pt gt a pretty mean stance I can get some Douglas tires from walmart for about $60 a piece. The old stock tires have some dry rot...I will use them until they look worse and then go back to the 17x8's.
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)