PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 Cruiser idling too high bad seals

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2020, 01:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 Cruiser idling too high bad seals

I took my '06 Pt over to Aamco. My car when started cold in the morning sounds very rough, and it will idle high at a stoplight. It is EMBARRASING. About every 5 seconds it lets out a high grumble. Is this due to pressure building up and pissing out the intake manifold ?

I had the A/C removed because I had Aamco reattach it. There is freon in the system now, and it does blow cold air. But at a stop I need to really have my foot on the brake, (fast food) as the car wants to lurch forward...It does not like it one bit. Also the car makes a loud spitting sound. If you were playing a brass instrument like trumpet or a trombone, it's sound your lips make when you p buzz through them.

So is because the seals in the intake are now flush and not like a new set of gaskets ? Is this a job one can diy or should a mechanic do this? I don't want to get ripped off on this. Thanks.

Last edited by CruiserinCA; 03 Jul 2020 at 01:34 pm.
Old 03 Jul 2020, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Cruiser idling too high bad seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserinCA View Post
I took my '06 Pt over to Aamco. My car when started cold in the morning sounds very rough, and it will idle high at a stoplight. It is EMBARRASING. About every 5 seconds it lets out a high grumble. Is this due to pressure building up and pissing out the intake manifold ?

I had the A/C removed because I had Aamco reattach it. There is freon in the system now, and it does blow cold air. But at a stop I need to really have my foot on the brake, (fast food) as the car wants to lurch forward...It does not like it one bit. Also the car makes a loud spitting sound. If you were playing a brass instrument like trumpet or a trombone, it's sound your lips make when you p buzz through them.

So is because the seals in the intake are now flush and not like a new set of gaskets ? Is this a job one can diy or should a mechanic do this? I don't want to get ripped off on this. Thanks.
Is the engine light on? If so what codes?

Have you checked all vacuum hoses for leaks?
Old 03 Jul 2020, 06:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Okay, let's see what we know:
  • Took '06 Pt to Aamco.
  • Aamco repaired AC and it blows cold.
  • Car now sounds very rough when started cold.
  • Idle high at a stoplight.
  • About every 5 seconds it makes grumbling noise.
  • Have to keep foot on the brake as the car wants to lurch forward.
  • Car makes a loud spitting sound. If you were playing a brass instrument like trumpet or a trombone buzzing through mouthpiece.

First, report any codes as Steve indicates. That may take you in the right direction.
If no codes, remove air filter and check for an obstruction keeping the butterfly open on the throttle body.
If no luck, purchase a cheap vacuum gauge and see what it read at idle. Here's a chart that shows what to look for. Note that a leaking brake booster might produce the grumble you here when you release the brake.

If no luck, remove the Idle Air Control valve and see if it is sticking.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Jul 2020 at 06:54 pm.
Old 04 Jul 2020, 12:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

First of all I'm not a mechanic. You say to go and buy a cheap gauge. I'm not sure where to hook that up in the car.

I forgot to mention that when stopped at a light for a considerable amount of time, (usually in a fast food line or other lineup) the car sounds like it is going to die while I'm blowing cold air.

I don't have a code reader either. The last time someone read codes, it was when a battery was installed. Can you buy a code reader in a parts store?
Old 04 Jul 2020, 01:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
First of all I'm not a mechanic. You say to go and buy a cheap gauge. I'm not sure where to hook that up in the car.

I forgot to mention that when stopped at a light for a considerable amount of time, (usually in a fast food line or other lineup) the car sounds like it is going to die while I'm blowing cold air.

I don't have a code reader either. The last time someone read codes, it was when a battery was installed. Can you buy a code reader in a parts store?
You should have some auto parts stores that will test it for free as they can sell you parts related to the codes you have triggered. Post what codes they find.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 04 Jul 2020, 11:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like the you may have two problems,
One being the radiator cooling fan maybe failing and doesn't run at low speed or when stopped or may run some times due to a bad wiring,

High idle speed may be due to bad intake gaskets - leaking air in.

That where I would start looking if you don't have a Check engine Light CEL.

Get codes read if your CEL is on.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 05 Jul 2020, 12:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

I'm certified as a Master Mechanic but haven't worked as one professionally since in the 1980's in my late teens and early 20's before college. Today, I am a professional engineer. I spend a lot of time helping friends, family and church members in your situation.

In order to use the average old car a decade old or older as a daily driver, you are going to have to either have some mechanical skill yourself or have a relationship with someone that does. Otherwise, your shop bill will be much higher than the value of you car in many cases.

When the computer in your car senses a problem, it will set a trouble code. In most cases, this will cause your Check Engine Light (CEL) to come on. On a PT Cruiser, you will need a code reader to retrieve the trouble code. You can also just use the "key dance" but it's prone to errors and doesn't allow you to easily reset the codes to see if they come back. Here's a video showing how to use the key dance.

An easier way to do this is to get a code reader. They are available at parts stores but are much cheaper online. Here's a cheap one that will do just about everything you need:

https://www.amazon.com/AUTDER-Scanne...omotive&sr=1-1

You really need to own one of these code readers if you plan to continue to drive a PT Cruiser. You cannot expect to simply have one problem fixed and your car not need future maintenance. It's going to break again.
dougs likes this.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 04:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your responses. Here's the deal:

Firstly, I did take my car to a mechanic. He plugged in his code reader and the car is clean on the codes. There are no codes which is a good sign. The engine light doesn't come on. Just the drivers side airbag because the bag doesn't work.

Secondly, the car idles high in the AM. At lunch time, I went to a fast food restaurant, and when I sat there in line behind other cars, first it idles too high and sounds rough and LOUD, then engine starts to die. It did in fact die yesterday in line. When I started it back up. I don't know if that is because the A/C is on and is causing it too much stress. When I started the car back up it made a spitting sound. (like when you buzz your lips together to play a trumpet) and a considerable amount of white smoke came out from under the hood. Is this from the turbo charger? What can cause this? I'm not sure that I have turbo on my car. How do I tell?

I watched a movie on youtube.com by a mechanic showing a pt where he replaced the lower intake gaskets. He said it could cause a rough idle and that there are no codes for this kind of thing. It doesn't appear that difficult to take it off. I don't have any tools though.

I'm ready to get rid of this car, but I want to get a fair price and it needs to be working right first before I list on autotrader. I have put over $1500 into it from doing various things. tie rod, alternator, break pads, etc.

Last edited by CruiserinCA; 20 Jul 2020 at 04:51 pm.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 06:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Did all this start immediately after Aamco worked on it? If so, look around for a hose that's disconnected, the sound of sucking air, or take it back and ask them to look around for something they forgot to reconnected. Of your comfortable enough, inspect and wiggle every hose under the hood to see if you can hear hissing, suckling sound or a change in idle.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 08:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Air leak after Manifold Air Sensor could cause high idle maybe air flow sensor, idle air valve bad?

I worked on a neon and and didn't get the flexible air duct on correctly and car ran for several miles before it went to full throttle, big air leak, what an eye opener.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh