• 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By dougs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Aug 2020, 06:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Check Engine Light

2007 PT Cruiser Limited
appx 110,000 miles

The other evening when I started my car to leave work I noticed that my Check Engine Light (yellow/amber) came on and stayed on. There were no problems...i.e. no smells...sounds, and everything drove fine. When I pulled into my driveway I performed the "key dance" and got the error code P0456. I did abit of research and found that it was likely a small leak in the EVAP system. A couple of times more I did the key dance and got only "done" with no error codes but the Check Engine Light stayed on. Today I bought a new gas cap and put it on. Right away I did the key dance and got no error codes but the Check Engine Light" still stayed on. I might note that I didn't drive the car after I installed the new gas cap. Any ideas anyone ?
Old 05 Aug 2020, 07:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Check Engine Light

I'd drive it for a while, or you can always try resetting it, if you have a reader that can, or just disconnect the battery for a couple hours.
Old 05 Aug 2020, 08:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I find that disconnecting the battery doesn't clear anything, but disconnecting the battery and then grounding the positive battery terminal for a few seconds actually does reset something in the computer...
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 05 Aug 2020, 09:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
I find that disconnecting the battery doesn't clear anything, but disconnecting the battery and then grounding the positive battery terminal for a few seconds actually does reset something in the computer...
No all it does is temporarily turn of the dash cautionary engine check light.

I am not sure why after 20 years and so many that have been inside and out of th ECU don't realize this yet.

You don't do that procedure... use a scan tool retrieve the DTC and then using the scan tool re-set the DTC correctly. While you are their you can easily see that this procedure or the battery disconnect will NOT clear the monitors that ultimately will only go into GREEN or no issues after the problem causing the DTC had been corrected>

This is not forum MYTH from the 1994 & 1/2 when obdI was implemented replaced by OBDII in 1995 that you could actually fool the computer to indicate the problem was corrected by disconnecting the battery. But even them if you do not correct a true problem within a week or less the check engine light would be active again.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 05 Aug 2020, 09:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The "KEY" dance is not the best and in most cases very inaccurate for retrieving all the DTC.

Try to get a scan tool and do it correctly at the diagnostic connector.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 Aug 2020, 05:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
Yep. That actually does a pretty good reset and not only clears the CEL but also resets many other parameters in the PT Cruiser PCM.

Chances are that the OP just had a leaking gas cap. Replacing the cap may have fixed the problem but the CEL will remain on for a certain length of time or certain number of miles driven after the CEL is set. So to get rid of the CEL immediately and to check to see if it quickly returns, the OP could either use an inexpensive scan tool and clear the codes or remove both battery cables and touch them together for certain length of time.

The cheap OBDII tools continue to get better and better. I recently grabbed a couple of these in the link below for around $15 each. I sometimes give them away to my daughter's friends so they will not call me every time their CEL comes on. These little cheap OBDII tools do a whole lot for $15 and tell you what each code means. You can also check readiness as well if you live in a state that requires that for emissions testing. And of course, you can clear CEL's to check if they come back.

https://www.amazon.com/AUTDER-Scanne...omotive&sr=1-2

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 06 Aug 2020 at 05:43 am.
Old 06 Aug 2020, 08:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Next time you get a DTC go ahead disconnect the battery then using your quality scan gauge go look at the monitors. (or create a DTC pull a couple plug wires and start the engine)

If it were that simple so to simply disconnect the battery to clear the ECU/DTC many people would do this before a emission test just to pass. You can't! Why because the emission test in most state reads the monitors!

MYTHS must be called out occasionally as inaccurate and nothing but a MYTH!

The other info you posted was good but I tend to first verify that there is only one DTC or that after properly clearing them and doing another drive cycle that it does not re occur or other and more or different DTC show up.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 Aug 2020, 09:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

We shouldn't conflate two completely different things. Checking and clearing P-codes that set Check Engine Lights are not the same things as checking and clearing performance readiness monitors. These are two different things usually done for different reasons.

In a PT Cruiser, disconnecting and touching the battery cables together for a while will clear both P-codes and readiness indicators as well just like many scanners will. Then the car must be driven for a while for the monitors to go through their cycles to post again. Depending on your state, you may fail your emissions test if the monitors have not fully posted again before testing. This often has very little to with reading a P-code that sets a CEL. And in almost all cases, this is of no concern for people in states without emissions testing nor for those in states with emissions testing if they are not about to take their cars for emission testing.

So let's not muddle the waters here. Touching the battery cables together for a while on a PT Cruiser will erase the trouble codes and kill the CEL. And the "key dance" is a valid method to check P-codes on a PT Cruiser if the user can do it correctly. As we know, many current PT Cruiser owners drive them because they are cheap and cheap to maintain. Some may not want or need to spend $15 for a good code reader. And they don't have to if they can follow some simple instructions. But using the key dance and messing with the battery cables can seems difficult for some people. So I still recommend that everyone with a car over seven years old get an inexpensive code reader like the one I linked to. It just makes all of this easier.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 06 Aug 2020 at 10:26 am.
Old 06 Aug 2020, 12:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Next time you get a DTC go ahead disconnect the battery then using your quality scan gauge go look at the monitors. (or create a DTC pull a couple plug wires and start the engine)

If it were that simple so to simply disconnect the battery to clear the ECU/DTC many people would do this before a emission test just to pass. You can't! Why because the emission test in most state reads the monitors!

MYTHS must be called out occasionally as inaccurate and nothing but a MYTH!

The other info you posted was good but I tend to first verify that there is only one DTC or that after properly clearing them and doing another drive cycle that it does not re occur or other and more or different DTC show up.
I agree with NitroPT. When the engine light came on I disconnected the battery and the engine light was not lighted up anymore. Then I hooked up the OBD scanner and the engine trouble code was still there so I reset the code with the scanner.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 06 Aug 2020 at 12:56 pm.
Old 07 Aug 2020, 05:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

My two cents: This used to happen to me several times over the years with the turbo2008. Causes: tiny leak in one of the vacumn line hoses. and bad gas cap. Do yourself a favor. Buy a cheap code reader ($30 - $40) and when you get the code up on the reader, then 'Clear' it. Quit screwing around with the key dance and diconnecting the battery. Make sure you have a good quality replacement gas cap and that it is screwed on tight.
NitroPT likes this.
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.