Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 4 Post By brownat
  • 3 Post By Macgyverman1123

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Oct 2020, 12:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default No Crank no start

So my wife was driving my 01 PT and she heard a thud (not sure form what). She parked the car and turned it off, tried to start and the starter doesnít even click. I asked her if she lost power, there was any smoking, over heating or even inability to shift. Her answer to all was no. I had it towed home and had the battery tested and itís good. I replaced the started relay with a known good one and nothing. I was digging around today before work and found that a splice block for the negative cable that goes under the battery was blown apart and there was a piece of aluminum attached to the side wall. If I remember right that this is for the jumper cable, so would this have any bearing on the issue at hand?
Old 23 Oct 2020, 01:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: No Crank no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownat View Post
So my wife was driving my 01 PT and she heard a thud (not sure form what). She parked the car and turned it off, tried to start and the starter doesnít even click. I asked her if she lost power, there was any smoking, over heating or even inability to shift. Her answer to all was no. I had it towed home and had the battery tested and itís good. I replaced the started relay with a known good one and nothing. I was digging around today before work and found that a splice block for the negative cable that goes under the battery was blown apart and there was a piece of aluminum attached to the side wall. If I remember right that this is for the jumper cable, so would this have any bearing on the issue at hand?
I would suggest posting a picture of the splice box so we have a better understanding of what might be the problem.
Old 23 Oct 2020, 01:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

EDITED: I didn't see the part about the engine not cranking in the original post. I guess I need a larger screen and new glasses.

The wire you found is pretty redundant body ground if I'm understanding you right. But you can splice it back together just to make sure.

Next, get an inexpensive code reader and check for trouble codes. If the engine spins pretty fast when trying to start and your PT has near or over 100,000 miles, then you likely broke the timing belt. These often throw cam sensor and crank sensor codes. If the engine spins normally while trying to start and if you get a cam sensor code alone, then it's likely just the cam sensor.

In 2001 and 2002 PT, the engine will not run with a bad cam position sensor. But in 2003 and up, the engine will run but will be in "Limp Home" mode and has limit RPM's.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 24 Oct 2020 at 08:38 am.
Old 23 Oct 2020, 01:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would check the battery cable from the battery to the starter first. Check with meter.

If okay see if voltage is going to starter relay when trying to start the engine.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 23 Oct 2020 at 02:19 pm.
Old 23 Oct 2020, 08:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I believe I found the issue. The wire that had a connector blow apart (looks like someone spliced that cable)was the negative from the battery to the engine block. This connects terminates at the bolt for the starter. I just touched the two ends together, turned the key and I heard a click. I will be replacing the cable tomorrow and see if it gets better.
Old 24 Oct 2020, 10:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Pro tip! (If you haven't already)

I needed new battery terminals and wires on my PT for unrelated issues that we won't get into (Although the term "Self Negligence" comes to mind)

New OEM ones cost over $100, and crappy eBay and parts store knockoffs cost nearly the same. I went to my local scrapyard and got some gently used ones from a PT for under $10. Don't be scared to use a junkyard! The cable should be nearly identical on all years and engines of PT's and maybe even some other Chrysler products from the era.

Tags
no crank, starting issues