• 3 Post By soonercruiser
  • 2 Post By rcktpwrd
  • 1 Post By Carl48
  • 1 Post By dougs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Mar 2021, 08:58 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Question Time For A Tune Up?

The 2006 NA now has 96,000 miles. The owner's manual says at 90,000 miles, among other 'check this, check that', you should replace the spark plugs. I replaced the spark plugs and wires about 6 years ago at 45,000 miles. The car runs fine. Runs smooth, starts quickly, etc etc. Do I really need to change the spark plugs? One side of my brain says, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. The other side of my brain says, 'Follow the Maintenance Service Schedule as Mr. Chrysler tells you to'. Any thoughts?
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.
Old 01 Mar 2021, 01:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Time For A Tune Up?

Sounds like a dilemma that all of us face.

But, if you are garaged and out of the severe weather mostly. I'd be tempted top pull the plugs and inspect.
The computer can adapt over time, even when the spark tips are eroding.
ptprice, dougs and LionPT like this.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 01 Mar 2021, 04:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Time For A Tune Up?

If you are doing the work yourself, sparkplugs are fairly cheap... If paying a shop it could be a bit spendy.

What sparkplugs were installed last time? If regular copper then they are probably due for replacement. If you went with a platinum or similar type then they should be OK to go longer...
podo2000 and dougs like this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 02 Mar 2021, 07:36 am
Fanatic Cruiser

If the plugs are copper, the gap will be widened and the electrodes rounded... they should be replaced. If they are platinum, the center electrode on two of the plugs may be worn (the ignition system is a "waste spark" type). Either way, at 6 years and 50K miles, if it were mine the plugs and wires would get changed along with the upper intake manifold gaskets. Just my .02.
dougs likes this.
Old 02 Mar 2021, 11:31 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
If the plugs are copper, the gap will be widened and the electrodes rounded... they should be replaced. If they are platinum, the center electrode on two of the plugs may be worn (the ignition system is a "waste spark" type). Either way, at 6 years and 50K miles, if it were mine the plugs and wires would get changed along with the upper intake manifold gaskets. Just my .02.
Thanks.... I think I will do this... but I will wait till just a bit closer to 100,000 miles, as the car seems to be running fine now. Also, I want to wait till weather is a bit warmer, to reduce the chance of some tube made from plastic or rubber cracking in the cold.... thanks
Carl48 likes this.
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.
Old 02 Mar 2021, 03:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs View Post
Thanks.... I think I will do this... but I will wait till just a bit closer to 100,000 miles, as the car seems to be running fine now. Also, I want to wait till weather is a bit warmer, to reduce the chance of some tube made from plastic or rubber cracking in the cold.... thanks
Much more enjoyable working on the PT in nice weather.
As you may know, you are looking at the timing belt job in the
near future if that has not yet been done.
Old 04 Mar 2021, 02:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
Much more enjoyable working on the PT in nice weather.
As you may know, you are looking at the timing belt job in the
near future if that has not yet been done.
Did it back at 84,000 miles.... along with the usual 'timing belt' stuff ... water pump, seals, etc etc thanks

Tags
spark plug wires, spark plugs, tuneup